TomTom Go

SamD

I am thinking of buying a Tom Tom for my forthcoming GTi, and am wondering if anyone knows whether VW will wier them in, or will I have to go to a third party? Alternatively, how hard would it be to do myself? Would I be invalidating any aspect of my warranty?

I haven't found it necessary to wire mine in. The windscreen suction bracket is perfect for the job, and you only need to connect the power outlet whilst the thing needs charging, otherwise it's independent of other wires.

I can take the thing to whichever car I'm travelling in, truly portable.

VW will do anything for you, if the money is right! wink.gif

Ah didn't realise that it didn't need to be plugged in all the time. The Pocket PC based Nav that I have the moment has to be plugged in permenantly as it has an external GPS antenna which needs power frown.gif How long does it normally last on a charge?

[ QUOTE ]

Ah didn't realise that it didn't need to be plugged in all the time. The Pocket PC based Nav that I have the moment has to be plugged in permenantly as it has an external GPS antenna which needs power frown.gif How long does it normally last on a charge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a tomt om go 500, and on a full charge will last around 4 hrs

[ QUOTE ]

Winner, looks like I can save myself some cash getting it fitted in that case!

Thanks All

[/ QUOTE ]

For around £450, I think the TTG is easier to use than the VW installed, nicer graphics, can be moved car to car, and you can add speed cameras for free. I'd spend the money saved on a niced stereo if I was fussed about having a monitor in the car aswell.

Yeah jaysgti, I agree with your responses so far;

The mount stays firmly secured to the windscreen, a lever then starts the removal process followed by a finger nail pulling on a little plastic tab attached to the suction plastic. You'll understand when you've got the suction mount.

You can leave it plugged in all the time, you just have to thread the power cord down the passenger side of your centre console to the flippy-uppy tray bitty socket (or an ugly gaping hole on the 2006 GTI tongue.gif )

Time to upload the latest gatso positions to mine ready for a trip down to Bournemouth tomorrow. Some big funfair with live bands going on down there apparently.

I've got the 700 - worth it for the processor speed (I upgraded from an old original edition TTG and the difference is striking when you're going round a roundabout etc - the 700 keeps up with you rather than getting confused).

The handsfree phone link works very well, even in a cabriolet with the top down.

Just some advice, I have had tomtom on a Ipaq and I now use a tomtom 300 in my GTi, this is a killer app and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Suction works great on the windscreen with the cable into the 12v cigarette lighter.

Some tips for any wood be owners.

FREE SPEED CAMERA UPDATES with warnings are available at www.pocketgps.co.uk

you can also get POI (point's of interest) for free, this include all shell garages in the UK, great for hwen you need to find a garage with optimax, once again look at www.pocketgps.co.uk

Also get the traffic update it really helps, I use it every day with my mobile via bluetooth, won't work if your on 3UK as they block open internet access.

[ QUOTE ]

thanks guys,

how do you download the speed camera positions onto the tom 700?

[/ QUOTE ]

full instructions are in the package you download, just copy to your map folder on the tom tom via the usb lead, don't forget to set up the warning when near POI on the tom tom though.