Mk V Gti Audio

bal5sidhu

My GTI does not have the sound pack. It may have 10 speakers and the CDR300, but the sound is shite. My wife drives a basic Meriva and her standard stereo is aurally fantastic in comparison.

Audio upgrade is necessary if you like listening to radio/CD in the car. The standard fit is truly $hite!

Wouldn't even bother with VW upgrade if it was my own car - definitely go independent. Sadly, it'll be leased through work so a bit stuck there. I see VW have teamed up with Dynaudio (Danish audio company) for bespoke system for new Passat. Shame nothing similar for the Golf. definitely lagging behind in ICE - even Audi's Bose systems don't compare to those available for Lexus, Volvo, BMW, Merc etc.

You said it! Drive an S60 (Co car) and had an S80 for few days recently as loan car. Both audio systems are quality. Chose S60 originally over competitors because of quality of standard audio. every manufacturer should make this a priority given amount of time spent in car these days. VW Bose systems too bass oriented and Bose have recently been slated in USA for poor quality of components (speakers etc).

I will make a few enquiries and feed back my findings. I cannot live with the standard fit audio. Unfortunately I had no control over the audio as I bought a dealer demo. It has standard fit audio and CD changer in armrest. I bet any after market will not control the changer?

I don't think the Alpine unit would control the CD changer, but I'm willing to be proved wrong. I suspect that the stock speakers are actually better than we give them credit for - it's the stock headunit that lets them down. Would be interested in hearing from anyone else who's changed the headunit but retained the stock speakers.

Local audio fitter mentioned that if you fit a harness to match the VW and aftermarket, the no 12 wire needs disabling?

Something to do with the Gamma RCD300 being linked to diagnostic fault coding via VAGCOM. If dealer scans a car with the wrong harness, something expensive goes BANG?