BMW 645Ci - Be careful to dry your car properly

NewNiceMrMe

Five, seven or ten years from now I suspect the BMW 6-series will have a common problem on most of the pre-owned cars.

They'll have rust on the front lip of the bonnet where it slams into position.

How can I make such a wild statement?

Well, when you wash the car if you're as obsessive as I am you'll very quickly notice that water gathers in a channel below the lip. If you wait 3-5 minutes after leathering the car off you will notice that water you have wiped away has filtered down from all parts of the car into this little channel...right up against the metal lip of the bonnet....for about 2-3 inches in length and a good 2mm in depth of water.

Of course mine won't have this issue because I've spotted it and lift the bonnet and get it dried out in a millisecond with a quick wipe. If you drove the car immediately after washing you shouldn't have the problem either because it flicks up out of the channel, but that puts little run marks on your nicely cleaned car! However, were you to garage it immediately after washing, well I think it's going to be a future problem on the model.

So, 6-series buyers, owners and potentials...you have been warned!

Incidentally, it's the same on every one - because I called into my dealership today and had a look on a 630Ci they have in there...and it's the same because I asked if I could pour a paper cup of water onto it. They think I'm strange, I know. The senior technician made a note of it though because he said he'd never noticed that before and it certainly shouldn't do it.... grin.gif