jason_s

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

it all sounds great, but to make us all comfortable is there anyone here who has received a car ordered this way? IF so how long did it take etc

[/ QUOTE ]

ok! Friend has orderd mk5 gti 2.0t from ALLBRANDSNEW ready for collection (pick up and drive away) 15th of sept 2005, was orderd april 2005. Will keep you all informed to what is fact or fiction... sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

So offcially, its not an import.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh but people aren't stupid and the VAG network will know whether or not it's a UK car. I'm not saying it's not a good deal, just don't kid yourself by presuming no one will give a sh!t come resale... buy cheap, sell cheap 169144-ok.gif

You could well be right. I traded an import in a few years back and the stealer gave me £1000 less. Its was an MG and they were only made in Longbridge, it was the same car, just the stealers revenge for not allowing them to rip me off for £5k more. No doubt Illegal as many of then (including VW) have been fined.

This is the same, its the same car,spec and made in the same place by the same people - just us Brits get ripped off at every opportunity. If I get £1k less so be it, this way I get it 3 months sooner as well as £3k less ! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

One of the things select does is that they do not register the car in Europe. The car is brought to the UK on a trailer (just like a dealer one) and registered for the first time in the UK. So offcially, its not an import.

[/ QUOTE ]

soz bruv! Its an import. It's a personal import! However, had Select themselves purchased the new means of transport, declared this zero rated at the eu state of origin. Then declare the vat in the uk through their normal imput/output vat returns. Then registering it to purchasing customers and passing on the vat, just like a normal dealer.

bu bum.... buttcheeks.gif

Good point. I think anyone who imports has to realise the dealers will retaliate if they can and give you less at trade-in. My own experience was £1k less which still makes this worth it.

The main point is that we shouldn't have to, price differences should not be so high.

the way I see it - if the dealer wants my GTI in a few years time, but won't give me full rate for it, even though it's from the same factory as their cars on the forecourt, and ordered through a large VW main dealer (albeit in Germany) - they can shove it, and I'll sell it myself and get more for it.

The days of dealers throwing their weight around like that are gone.

All this nervousness about imports is just the dealers scaremungering. they'll use any trick in the book to secure a sale.

[ QUOTE ]

- they can shove it, and I'll sell it myself and get more for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you pay the same for a second hand import, knowing the original owner would have got it for a lot less, and also knowing that you would get a lesser price yourself if you were trading it.

To be fair to dealers, they always disclose what cars are EU or imports and never charge as much for them... A few BMW's caught my eye earlier in the year, they seemed too cheap, but all were imports.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...