Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SamD

Personalised Plates

40 posts in this topic

I am interested to know peoples opinions on personalised plates. Are they sad or cool, I just can't decide. The reason that I ask is that I am vaguely considering VW55 SAM for my new GTI, but I can't quite justify the £999 to myself at the moment. What do you think?

post-9281-137914321936_thumb.jpg

Was looking a this myself mate - also found it hard to jusitfy the cost - still tempted though.

Thinking of VW55 MKV??

I looked at that plate too smile.gif I seem to remember that was £799?

It's only money!! If you like the personal touch, just do it!! Chuck the cost on a 0% credit card and pay it off over time and worry later!! 169144-ok.gif

I thought about having the "vw55 mkv" plate as well but I thought is it really worth it at £800! I decided it wasn't and am going to spend the money on something that is of more use to me - the tom tom. Each to there own though.

I bought W1 ROY a few years ago and have had it on two of my cars. I decided that personalised plates are not really my thing anymore so did not put it on the GTi and sold it on ebay recently.....

I'd say go for it if you can afford it. I chose to buy dateless plates , if you chose sensibly, and don't spend a fortune, you can nearly always get your money back in a few years, it's a long term investment, but you hardly get loads of inyterest from the bank these days. I just hate it that I have one of the most common set of initials, so you have to be patient if you are waiting for a reasonable plate, an know when you see a bargain.

Personal plates are cool if they are just that - personal, like the example you have given.

However they are definately uncool if you have to go and do silly things like mis-space them or worse still add screws in the wrong places to make it spell something!

Agree with you there Andy, I paid £250 for mine all in, just wanted a single number reg plate to diguise the age and in any case the single digit looks better. Mine came as a 2006 model so will appear new for some time....

I have had mine now for 7 years and will have it until I die.

I have a hugely expensive reg that spells my name without messing about with it that I bought a few years ago. Cost me a lot but it was paid off long ago and I get a great kick seeing it go on every new car I have. I'd think hard about spending money on one which was tied into a particular car brand but otherwise go for it 169144-ok.gif

FA55T VW was still up for sale in the DVLA - £1299!!

If you've got the cash to burn....

I take your point Aswall regarding getting one that is make specific, maybe I will look at some others...

I have a private plate, I think the ones which spell a name are naff, ones with initials are fine.

The worst ones are the ones which have 'MUM' or 'DAD' on openfire.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think Alpinas are naff, takes all sorts jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROLLEY~14.GIF

As I have VW05 RED on a VW Mk5 2005 registered Tornado Red GTI and my music org is Red Robin Music Productions and my name is Robin....I obviously think it's cool. Yes I would have slightly preferred VW55 RED but didn't want to wait any longer for my car or pay the extra £200 it now costs.

However I think that a first name such as SAM is far better than meaningless initials which look 'corporate' and unfriendly and therefore snobby. Clearly DAD etc is definitely naff and I think it sometimes looks naff to alter the spacing but not always - depends on what results. I saw NO 4 the other day....Obviously the owner's ancestor bought one of the first cars.

I think the plates which pay tribute to the car rather than the ego of the owner look the coolest. But plates which are both, such as VW55 SAM, also look very cool....But SAM 1 would look pretentious imo.

Ultimately it simply comes down to what the plate reads rather than due to very fixed rules about it.

I don't personally like any of the anonymous and gobblygook standard plates which don't give a car much identity. Just my opinion....which means diddly-squat at the end of the day.

I very much support the 'up yours' rebellious attitude to authority which a plate can give. I don't like mediocrity!!

I have the following plate - MK5 1 FLY awaiting the arrival of my new GTI (pick up on 1/9/05). I reckon it's all down to personal preference/affordability but does make the super-car stand out from the others.

GTI DSG DIAMOND BLK SATNAV 6CD/ARMREST SUNROOF LUX PACK1 PARKING SENSORS LEATHER

....I assume your FLY plate is spaced. Is it new? Has Mister Plod or anyone (MOT?) pulled you on it?

For those considering a VW plate and who may be helped in their decisions by seeing one on a car: 520256-A35%28small%29.jpg

post-10081-137914321949_thumb.jpg

yelrotflmao.gif I bet it was going a bit fast!! Volkswagen Driver mag did a feature on AMD not too long ago.

Cruisin' a cabriolet around the Mediterranean for a change of pace are you? Your avatar looks like Greece.

Robin,did you get you car first registered with that plate? Did you dealer organise it or did you need to do something as well?

Hi Sam....It all started when my dealer told me that at the time of them registering my car (the usual procedure) he would tell me what (standard gobblygook) local plates were available but I would have to decide instantly during that phone conversation. This got me thinking "Do I want HD or HG or do I prefer HJ?" and I realised I didn't much like any of them (My BMW had my initials purely by coincidence!!) so I thought I would check out the DVLA plates web site. Surfing around I found VW plates and the rest is history....I paid £799 all in.

What you need to do (assuming you want a particular plate) is buy by Credit/Debit Card and you should get your DVLA Certificate within a few days (though they'll tell you it could be up to 10 days!!). Armed with the Certificate the dealer will be able to register the plate on your new car. You'll need insurance certificate too for Road Tax (done by dealer).

Your dealer will make and fit your plates but don't let him/her use the adhesive method cos the hot sun unsticks the front due to curvature....Screw fix 'em and make sure they use black screws into the black letters/numerals instead of just anywhere. They'll look better. The dealer supplied plates will have their name tiny at the base. You can specify EUR blue strips or not....You may have noticed I like the odd cool blue touches on my throbbin' red car.

The dealer will NOT space them for you....It's illegal though Mister Plod seems to ignore it....But one day MOT could throw the book at yer!

My gut feeling from your quezzie is that you are seriously thinking of buying a special plate. It's up to you of course but I have no regrets and all sorts of people make positive comments....Someone even approached me today and asked how I managed to get them. Even my dealer wished he had got them for the showroom/demonstrator (also Tornado Red).

Hope this helps you. 520378-RED_frontdetail.JPG

post-10081-137914321956_thumb.jpg