R32 v GTi

simkna

The new R32 just looks pants considering the 'R' badging... It looks too tame to be a 'Racing' model.

There is much talk of an R36 model coming soon after, which if it ever does come out, will be the REAL 'R' to buy..

The mrk5 R32 just looks like a replacement for the soggy Mrk4 Golf V6 4motion.

My sister's got the Mk5 GTI with all the extras, although it was an expensive car for what it is, it is a nippy little beast and I could live with it very happily. Requires a chip and some breathing apparatus and that would be it. I'm hearing a GTI lite is on the cards and a 4x4 turbo too!!! I'm also sure that it could kick my R's butt with a chip.... (probably going to get some stick for saying that) Not too sure around a track but with the DSG in a straight line it’s not too far off.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

See it as a Top-O-The-Range, grand tourer, 5dr, powerful family hatch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think that's what many are starting to believe the new .:R will be, Brett. My stealer advises that VW are making the suspension much softer in the new car, thinking the old .:R was too stiff a set up...... smashfreakB.gif....total nonsense!!

[ QUOTE ]

I think I prefure the look of the new Gti

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree Woppum, but I still need to see a real one. The colour of an R32 makes a lot of difference as well - I'm guessing that the UK demonstrators (due at the end of September according to a thread in the R32 forum) will all be deep blue pearl so I can stick mine next to a Mk5 and see what the real differences are.

If they soften the suspension TP, it'll end up being like the Mk3 GTI. Had two of them, even though they drove like a floating boat... EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If they soften the suspension TP, it'll end up being like the Mk3 GTI. EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that if they do down this route, we're looking at a reincarnation of the mk-iv V6 4Motion.... smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is where the later R36 rumours are coming from, if the new R32 is to replace the 4-motion then maybe we will get the mk 5 in a more acceptable R36, circa 280-300bhp mode.

Fingers crossed ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is where the later R36 rumours are coming from. ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

The R36 will be here at the end of the MkV run, which is likely to be early 2008, that's what I'm told?! On the other hand, some have said the 3.6 lump is too big for the golf engine bay and others have said the R36 will only be launched in the US. All in all, we'll have to wait until the MkV R32 does arrive here, test drive it and end the speculation but reporting on fact!! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is where the later R36 rumours are coming from. ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

The R36 will be here at the end of the MkV run, which is likely to be early 2008, that's what I'm told?! On the other hand, some have said the 3.6 lump is too big for the golf engine bay and others have said the R36 will only be launched in the US. All in all, we'll have to wait until the MkV R32 does arrive here, test drive it and end the speculation but reporting on fact!! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like we said before Tosh, it needs to be driven and then decide if we like it or not.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If they soften the suspension TP, it'll end up being like the Mk3 GTI. EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that if they do down this route, we're looking at a reincarnation of the mk-iv V6 4Motion.... smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is where the later R36 rumours are coming from, if the new R32 is to replace the 4-motion then maybe we will get the mk 5 in a more acceptable R36, circa 280-300bhp mode.

Fingers crossed ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so the next generation will have bigger brakes and a racing seats option, which dosent seem very walnutty to me! However I hope VW never forgive themselves for what they are doing to the R!

[ QUOTE ]

I hope VW never forgive themselves for what they are doing to the R!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems rather ironic don't you think -- they're restored an icon (the GTI) only to destroy another (the R32). Shame that the same attention to detail and unrelenting persuit for perfection couldn't have been applied to the new R -- I'd personally rather have the Mk4 -- that had true personality and a definite presence on the road.

[ QUOTE ]

One thing to bear in mind too if you're the sort to keep chasing more bhp: the APR ECU mods for the GTi give you 188KW and 411Nm !!! EEK2.GIF

You'd need to start bolting extra hardware to the R32 to get those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might need to bolt a Haldex system to the GTI to cope with all that torque, mind! shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

One thing to bear in mind too if you're the sort to keep chasing more bhp: the APR ECU mods for the GTi give you 188KW and 411Nm !!! EEK2.GIF

You'd need to start bolting extra hardware to the R32 to get those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might need to bolt a Haldex system to the GTI to cope with all that torque, mind! shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that would make a good car!

[ QUOTE ]

whats a HALDEX system and how does it make the car cope with the torque?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haldex is the company that makes the All Wheel Drive system used by VW (known as 4Motion), and as you'd expect, it helps deliver the torque better because there are four wheels for it to be transmitted through instead of two.

I would expect that fitting the 4Motion system after market would be a major undertaking, although if memory serves, the Mk5 platform is better setup for it in the first place than the Mk4 was.

Haldex is also found on TTs and S3s. The transverse engine mounted cars in the VAG stable that have 4wd drive use the Haldex system, the longintudinal mounted engines use the quattro system.

Haldex is semi 4WD where as Quattro is permie 4WD!

Haldex is not on cars that don't have 4WD, ie GTi, although rumour has it there maybe a 4wd GTi in the future.

You can get the 2.0 TDi with 4Motion, tho.... which will be a super nice combo 169144-ok.gif

How it works is quite complicated, but suffice to say that under most normal driving condition Haldex equiped 4WD cars run in Fwd mode, and only when slip is detected up front does the Haldex controller kick in and torque is pushed to the rear wheels - hence why its a semi-4wd system and not a permie 4WD system.

smile.gif