Should I buy a Cayman ?

sidicks

Guys

Some advice needed, please:

I've suddenly become very tempted with the new Cayman S and am able to get one for December delivery (to my own specification). Assuming I keep it for 18 months or so, how much extra do you reckon it will cost me in depreciation compared with holding on to my 2-year old M3 ?

Cheers

Sidicks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'd be inclined to wait for an '06 car and take it for March new '06 plate personally. I've spoken to a number of OPC's and they do have launch cars available, but they need to be specced blind right now and you have to hope you like the car on delivery ECLIPSe.gif

Might be more prudent to wait on this one-plus Nov/Dec is a lousy time to launch a new sports car here in the UK ROLLEY~14.GIF

Gareth - thanks (I have sent you a PM....)

I went to my dealer this morning and placed a deposit for a January build (February delivery) car, which I will probably end up waiting until March to take delivery with the new number plate.

Hope this is the correct decision.

Easy to add £10k-£15k with the Porsche option list, some of which are probably classed as essential....

I have at least anoth month to finalise the spec of the car, but will probably stick to Silver with black leather interior - predictable but sensible, I think.

Sidicks

Got the PM 169144-ok.gif

Brave man...£52k and no PCM/Big alloys or BOSE coffee.gif

For what it's worth I think this is a launch that Porsche GB have got all wrong. The car is overpriced by at least £6k and the spec is just lousy IMHO. Don't doubt that it will a sensational car to drive but the other factors may count against it.

just my 2p's worth.. SPericani2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Got the PM 169144-ok.gif

Brave man...£52k and no PCM/Big alloys or BOSE coffee.gif

For what it's worth I think this is a launch that Porsche GB have got all wrong. The car is overpriced by at least £6k and the spec is just lousy IMHO. Don't doubt that it will a sensational car to drive but the other factors may count against it.

just my 2p's worth.. SPericani2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm keeping my options open - until I spec the car I can get my deposit back at any time. I'm going to see what demand is like over the next month or so, then I can decide to go ahead with the purchase or wait for someting else.

Thanks for your thoughts - it's always good to hear what other people think, as it may prevent a very expensive mistake!

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

Have a look on www.porsche.co.uk

Full leather is an extra...partial leather (seats only) is std.

Just as a comparison here are the things that Porsche charge extra for that are std on the BMW M3 coupe;

Xenons

Metallic paint

PDC

Cruise

Multi function steering wheel

Embossed head rests

Full leather

Auto dip mirror

Rain sensor

Chrome plated steel tailpipes

Climate control

Sport seats

Painted instrument dials

Who said the Germans lack a sense of humour ?? jump.gif

Gareth

My understanding is that 'partial leather' means leather seats only - the full leather option includes dashboard, centre console etc etc.

Isn't this the same as for the M3, where the leather seats are standard, but if you want full leather dash etc, you have to pay extra via the 'individual' route ??

Sidicks

I think BMW take the middle ground here and most of the trim is leather as are the seats of course. The Indy option does offer extended leather to the armrest/some door trims and the dash board.

Bottom line is that you get more leather (ooh kinky !! the_finger.gif) included as std on the M3 than you do in the Cayman S. I do agree that the full leather-especially on the dashboard/console- looks divine...if a waste of money !!!

Cheers,

Gareth.

Gareth, isnt it the way that Porsche have always done it (Charge for everything)? I dont think there is another manufactuer that has such a complex pricing policy! crazy.gif

I can see the caymen performing similarly to the boxster when that was launched!! I think the residuals will be very strong and i dont think Porsche will over supply to the extent BMW did with the M3!

Hi lagoo

Well Porsche GB like to have their bit of fun with the spec's and prices ices_blah.gif

I am leaning towards disagreeing with you on the Cayman residuals..i think it's not going to be winner alot of people think. 1,500 Porsche Caymans a year for year one in the UK is more than BMW imported from May 2001 (when the coupe was launched) until April 2002 ...it was only after the end of 2002, early 2003 that they increased the quota's by taking allocations out of other markets (mainly RHD ones, but also the US)

Gareth.

[ QUOTE ]

Also there are deals on the first Caymans...hardly what you would expect for a car with the Porsche badge and preceived strong residuals.. sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt realise that there were deals to be had on the first cars crazy.gif Porsche do seem quite good at inflating their own residuals but i thought they reserved that for the 996 crazy.gif

Chav,

I think people are expecting it to be the boxster and some! If its an improvement over the the 987 boxster then they will have made a cracking car! I think it will be the in BMW CSL's league, if not a tad more! I quite like the look too blush.gif

A couple of months back I considered one, a kindly member here was in a position to offer me a resrvation that they could not take up.

I can't find the orginal post, but the gist was "Could I get away with 20k miles 2-3 years ownership and less than a £20k loss".

The general thought was no chance what so ever! At £50k with some spec, £20K represented 40% or £1 per kile pre running cost.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Also there are deals on the first Caymans...hardly what you would expect for a car with the Porsche badge and preceived strong residuals.. sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt realise that there were deals to be had on the first cars crazy.gif Porsche do seem quite good at inflating their own residuals but i thought they reserved that for the 996 crazy.gif

Chav,

I think people are expecting it to be the boxster and some! If its an improvement over the the 987 boxster then they will have made a cracking car! I think it will be the in BMW CSL's league, if not a tad more! I quite like the look too blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The CSL would blow the Cayman S away...wouldn't have a chance in hell suicide.gif

i was at first, tempted to buy a cayman s, however a "friend in the trade" reckons that many OPCs are running scared as they have not been able to fulfill their quotas - still plenty of slots available apparently. this has put me off.

managed to get a 2wk delivery on an SL350 with toys for a ridiculously good amount instead 169144-ok.gif

After reading this forum, and chatting to a few people, I've decided to take back the deposit I'd placed on the Cayman S with my local dealer.

I'm going to sit tight until March and will see what is available at that time - if demand isn't high, then I should be able to get into a Cayman S at a decent price, if I'm wrong (Gareth is wrong beerchug.gif!!), the Cayman S market has taken off and I've missed the boat, then maybe I'll consider a used Carrera or Carerra S instead.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone on here once they have received their cars !!

Cheers

Sidicks