Should I buy a Cayman ?

sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

After reading this forum, and chatting to a few people, I've decided to take back the deposit I'd placed on the Cayman S with my local dealer.

I'm going to sit tight until March and will see what is available at that time - if demand isn't high, then I should be able to get into a Cayman S at a decent price, if I'm wrong (Gareth is wrong beerchug.gif!!), the Cayman S market has taken off and I've missed the boat, then maybe I'll consider a used Carrera or Carerra S instead.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone on here once they have received their cars !!

Cheers

Sidicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Me...? Wrong..? Perish the thought Flush.gif

If I am I owe you a beerchug.gif

Cheers,

Gareth.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

i was at first, tempted to buy a cayman s, however a "friend in the trade" reckons that many OPCs are running scared as they have not been able to fulfill their quotas - still plenty of slots available apparently. this has put me off.

managed to get a 2wk delivery on an SL350 with toys for a ridiculously good amount instead 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, lots of launch cars available and OPC's (most, not all) can't shift them at the moment.

This might change when a few (maybe positive) road tests appear (Only CAR have driven it so far amoungst the UK mags) and there are also some pics of the car is some different colours apart Artic Silver. In that colour and on the std 18's it's no looker... pengy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

(Only CAR have driven it so far amoungst the UK mags) and there are also some pics of the car is some different colours apart Artic Silver. In that colour and on the std 18's it's no looker... pengy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I genuinely do like the look of the Cayman S, particularly in the link in the post above.

Funny that - My provisonal spec was in Silver metallic and I really like the 18's (first choice would have been the 18" design wheel in 19" size, but this isn't available......

It has to be a sensible financial decision for me, hence the reason for me to defer my decision....

Sidicks

Ps - If you are wrong, you don;t just owe me a beer, you owe me a new Cayman S at a discounted price !! beerchug.gif

I think it's going to be exactly what we expect it should be.

I am just thinking I may have spent a little too much on extras. I went for:

Met paint

Full Leather

Sports Seats

PASM

Sport Chrono Plus

19" Sport Design Wheels

Climate Control

Multi Function Steering Wheel

PCM

Bose

CD Changer.

Total: £53,089.03

Too much????

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's going to be exactly what we expect it should be.

I am just thinking I may have spent a little too much on extras. I went for:

Met paint

Full Leather

Sports Seats

PASM

Sport Chrono Plus

19" Sport Design Wheels

Climate Control

PCM

Bose

CD Changer.

Too much????

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.gif

Flush.gif

Why don't just get a 997...would be a much more sensible choice..better car too I would imagine.. ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

(Only CAR have driven it so far amoungst the UK mags) and there are also some pics of the car is some different colours apart Artic Silver. In that colour and on the std 18's it's no looker... pengy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I genuinely do like the look of the Cayman S, particularly in the link in the post above.

Funny that - My provisonal spec was in Silver metallic and I really like the 18's (first choice would have been the 18" design wheel in 19" size, but this isn't available......

It has to be a sensible financial decision for me, hence the reason for me to defer my decision....

Sidicks

Ps - If you are wrong, you don;t just owe me a beer, you owe me a new Cayman S at a discounted price !! beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree that in that link the Silver car (with 19''Carrera S alloys) looks good. Much as I like the idea of the 18's on the Cayman I just think it *needs* 19's to really set the shape off..especially the Carrera S and Sport Design 19's heart.gif

p.s. If I'm wrong I'll honour that challenge 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Met paint

Full Leather

Sports Seats

PASM

Sport Chrono Plus

19" Sport Design Wheels

Climate Control

PCM

Bose

CD Changer.

Too much????

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a great spec but looking at that price frightens me, I came close to buying a 996 4S low mileage blcak/black with every conceivable option for 2k less than that

way better looking, better sounding, more powerful and its a 911

[ QUOTE ]

I just hope it holds its value well. I read an article in Autocar a while back and Tom Hartley said he expects the Cayman to attract up to a £5K premium on the first cars....

Not sure if I really believe that but...

[/ QUOTE ]

strange that, coming from Tom Hartley..... NOT!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I just hope it holds its value well. I read an article in Autocar a while back and Tom Hartley said he expects the Cayman to attract up to a £5K premium on the first cars....

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He saying that so you will sell it through him! To55er openfire.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

only time that the Cayman S will attract a £5k premium (or even £50) is when Pig Airlines fly out of Heathrow.... smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

only time that the Cayman S will attract a £5k premium (or even £50) is when Pig Airlines fly out of Heathrow.... smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gareth - I need to get a cheap flight to Edinburgh next week, but so far prices seem really expensive £200+ - do you have a phone number or web-address for Pig airlines so that I can see what rates they charge? I've tried Google but they can't seem to find anything............

Cheers

Sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

Why don't [you] just get a 997...would be a much more sensible choice..better car too I would imagine..

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said! 169144-ok.gif

The Cayman makes even late model 996 Carreras appear cheap! Please don't spend that much on a Boxster hardtop anyone EEK2.GIF

Ian

I cant make up my mind between a cayman and a 911. At first i thought the cayman was nicer to look at , but i think the new 911s are a lot more subtle.

Not convinced the cayman will be a hit, though the mid engine does appeal to me.

Anyone here actually had a drive in one yet?

[ QUOTE ]

I cant make up my mind between a cayman and a 911. At first i thought the cayman was nicer to look at , but i think the new 911s are a lot more subtle.

Not convinced the cayman will be a hit, though the mid engine does appeal to me.

Anyone here actually had a drive in one yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not launched in the UK until the end (26th ?) of November

Sidicks

• 4 weeks later...

It's amazing what an impact the auto press has in such a short time. Reading this thread you'd think the Cayman was low in demand and you could easily get hold of a launch car, maybe even with a discount.

Not anymore. I have a friend who tried to place a deposit this week and was given a waiting time of 14-18 months!!, after he contacted a few more dealers the best slot he was offered was September 2006, some dealers didn't have any slots until 2007.

Interesting news that - I've changed nmy mind and am now considering a Carerra 4S instead, but it goes to show that regardless of whether the car is 'fairly priced' (compared with the Boxster etc), the demand is sufficient to cause a large waiting list.

Not sure I'd want to wait that long - presumably if my dealer can get a car sooner, then that might of interest for your friend ?

sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

Interesting news that - I've changed nmy mind and am now considering a Carerra 4S instead, but it goes to show that regardless of whether the car is 'fairly priced' (compared with the Boxster etc), the demand is sufficient to cause a large waiting list.

Not sure I'd want to wait that long - presumably if my dealer can get a car sooner, then that might of interest for your friend ?

sidicks

[/ QUOTE ]

possibly, he contacted virtually all of the dealers in the north of england and is waiting to hear back from some further south. Who is your OPC?

I think if you can get an early slot the car is a no brainer, keep it a year and you'll lose hardly anything!! Let's say you drive a 25-30k car(I do), the cost of a Carrera S/4S is a big jump. The Cayman is the middle step. That's how I see it anyway. Buy a Cayman, keep it for 12-18 months, trade in and you only have to find £20k for the 911 Carrera S smile.gif

The more press articles come in the more demand will rise. Not to mention when people start seeing them on the road, they'll be quite rare too I imagine for a good while yet. I'm sure residuals will be good the first 12-18 months the way things are going.

I'm not sure which OPC's you've tried but I can still get a Cayman build slot for late January or early February. I don't know if this is because I'm an existing Porsche owner or not. I've also been offered similar slots for a 997 C4S which is remarkable considering the car is just being launched. I was told by my dealer that Porsche AG is cutting back the UK's allocation of cars next year. Reading between the lines supply is dangerously close to outstripping demand just now and this is having an adverse effect on residuals. My 997 Carrera has dropped over £8k in value in 6 months which is a lot for a P car. If this continues Porsche will suffer long term damage as buyers look for cars with more exclusivity and thus better residuals - hence the cut in production. Just do a search on Autotrader for 997's and see how many are looking for new homes at good savings on list. I therefore wouldn't kid yourself that you will be able to buy a Cayman and run it for a year with minimal depreciation. Unless the market picks up significantly that just isn't going to happen.