mk5 gti a view/opinion without bias!

spankit

Psychology shows that once a consumer is committed to a product (i.e. purchased) he/she will show a significant bias toward that consumer choice. Even, if only to serve the purpose of reinforcing to ourselves we have made the correct consumer choice. Further more, the mind prefers to be consistent often stubbornly. Once we have made our minds up about something if we are consistent in our decision we won’t have to deal with that issue again, enabling the mind to get on with other things. Anyway, enough of “Consistency and Commitment” it’s a huge area of consumer psychology – to the point….

Does somebody feel they could hold back on the human minds needs of “consistency and commitment” and give a truly unbiased view of the mk5 gti?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I could manage that. I haven't driven it, but have ridden, so I can comment on that. Well designed, with a marked improvement on the previous GTis. Again, there si some rose tinting due to a good GTi at last, but there is a good engine, responsive, though not super quick. Not great due to the fact its front wheel drive. The FSi engine is smooth, and the 'box seems OK. Overall, Its a nice product, with VAG quality, nicely finished, good residuals, and overall good. Not GREAT but good.

I don't own one, but have driven one and been driven in a couple......... overall is a damn fine car, quick, well built, has the odd fault (I hate the indicators in the wing mirrors), but nothing to warrant bad comments.

The seats are excellent, driving position was fine, but rear visibility was poor (for me, I'm a short arse).

Brakes were too bitey, not responsive or progrssive enough (but I do drive an R32 which has great brakes), but they did work well which is the point I guess.

The interior is nice, clean, well laid out and all in I couldn't really fault it, albeit a tad platsically for my liking it wouldn't put me off if I was in the market for a GTi.

The time I did drive it I liked it quite a lot, it pulled well, very smooth, easy to drive..... basically I jumped in and was off - easier to drive then my R32 which still can be a bugger at slow speed with twitcy 1st gear.

The GTi feels like a big car, bigger then its size would indicate, gives you a good presence on the road and with that comes confidence.

Not keen on the alloys, as I think they could've done a bit more with them, maybe more sporty looking and the lack of colour-coding the lower 1/2 of the bumpers is just not on.

My only real / ever gripe with the GTi is the price, by the time you've spec'd it up to a reasonable car its nigh on £24k, which is just too much.

Apart from that, and coming from an R32 owner, the GTi is a fine car and well worthy of the GTi badge and the praise that is heaped upon it.

Shame the new R32 doesn't look like its going to follow suit...........

smile.gif169144-ok.gif

As a recent new owner of the GTI, having previously owned and Audi 225 TTC,a question was put to me:

"If I had the choice would I go back to the TT"?

NO WAY, the GTI is a drivers car and the most fun to drive since I had a brand new Sierra Sapphire Cosworth back in 1989, it is simply a classic.

Can I have the Bose back please!

I dunno how balanced I'll be as I have bought one, but don't have it yet.

I'm current BMW 3-series owner, I found the new styling not to my taste and thought it was a pretty uninspiring car so I looked for a new one:

1-Series: I was very dissappointed, its ugly and un-practical, its just too small. Quality is good, 120d good engine and RWD nice.

A3 Sportback. I so wanted to like this car, fab build quality, good image, nice looking (better than the Golf IMHO). BUT the ride quality on the sports is terrible, far, far too crashy and harsh.

Golf GTi: Good performance, fab engine. Looks are good, image is good (not as good as above), interior is not bad. Ride quality much much better than above and its a proper 5 door with room in the back. Best of both worlds (for me). Price is a bit high and spec a bit stingy (no cruise or parking sensors) but overall a good effort.

[ QUOTE ]

1-Series: I was very dissappointed, its ugly and un-practical, its just too small. Quality is good, 120d good engine and RWD nice.

A3 Sportback. I so wanted to like this car, fab build quality, good image, nice looking (better than the Golf IMHO). BUT the ride quality on the sports is terrible, far, far too crashy and harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too was disappointed with the 1 series (was briefly considering a 130i M-Sport!). Needed more practicality!

As for the Sportback - I've always found it a comfortable car but your comments would explain why I never found the Golf's ride hard (even on 18's)!

scott W and WhiteHartMart i came to my descision also by

eliminating other brands. A3 better looking than the golf imho, all except the gti. However, would have gone for an A3 over a non gti golf. A3 better quality inside, but terrible rear visibility.

1 series ugly ugly ugly car, and I’ve had and realy liked bmw’s in the past.

Cannot even make a comment about a merc hatchback.

Gti had the dsg box and enough poke for my needs, certainly isn’t an m3 or 911. Handles well enough, practical, etc etc… Just think for the price the interior could be a peg up. Do like the seats they remind me of a better version of the sport seats in the old E30 bmws.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I too was disappointed with the 1 series (was briefly considering a 130i M-Sport!). Needed more practicality!

As for the Sportback - I've always found it a comfortable car but your comments would explain why I never found the Golf's ride hard (even on 18's)!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say if you test drove and A3 3dr as a comparison your right, the ride is a shocker. But on the Sportback it has the updated dampers and feels very similar to the Golf GTI IMO, from the drives I had of the GTI. I choose the A3 Sportback before the GTI was out, and am very glad of my choice. Give the real Sportback a drive, not the older 3dr and you will be very suprised.

If you want a review on the thoughts of my car. Look in the review section of the forum. beerchug.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'd say if you test drove and A3 3dr as a comparison your right, the ride is a shocker. But on the Sportback it has the updated dampers and feels very similar to the Golf GTI IMO, from the drives I had of the GTI. I choose the A3 Sportback before the GTI was out, and am very glad of my choice. Give the real Sportback a drive, not the older 3dr and you will be very suprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the sportback I testdrove, but I should have said, the ride on the SE was fine, but the sport was horrible and as far as I could tell the 2.0T is only available in sport trim. If I had been on for a 2.0TDI (which I did think about) I would have gone for the A3 TDI with DSG, in the end I wanted a bit more power so the GTi called! If a 170TD had been around then maybe a different story.

Good point that someone made - the GTi is as nice looking as the A3, the standard Golf isn't

fogot all about why i eliminated the mini from my choice!

Very fisher price inside, not sure how long that interior will last. Rev counter looks like its stuck on alla Blue Peter as an after thought. This side of too small, needs just a bit more space. A car in the bmw stable without a bmw engine UNFORGIVABLE.

I'm on day two of a three day extended test drive & have decided that I won't be ordering a GTi. The main reason surprises even me...it's too fast. Well, more specifically, it protects you from the speed you're doing. That probably makes me sound like a Micra-driving girlie, but my current car is a Civic TypeR with mods, my last car was an Audi S3 etc etc.

Maybe it's the desire not to add to the 6 points on my license, but I really feel the GTi is a license loser. In the CTR, you can feel what speed you're doing...it's noisy & bumpy as hell (but superb fun nonetheless). The Golf is just so...amazingly well sorted...that it is effortlessly fast. Over the past 2 days I've thrashed it on A roads, B roads and the motorway, in the wet and in the dry, and it honesty beats the pants off my 2001 S3 with £6k to spare. How a 200bhp fwd car can exhibit almost zero torque steer, and grip like a quattro in the wet is frankly amazing. But, it's just too easy to drive fast...and the fun doesn't kick in until you're doing so. Which, for me and my 6 points, driving 30k miles a year, is just too risky a proposition for 4 years of ownership.

Sooo, what am I gonna order instead? Well as if anyone cared, but I've gone for 2 cars. A 2nd hand Vectra for the motorway, and a new Mk3 Mazda MX-5 for fun at (mostly) legal speeds grin.gif.

Fair play to the Mk5 GTi though, awesome car. Oh, didn't like the 5 speed manual though...bit like fishing for gears. DSG much better imho 169144-ok.gif.