Anyone bought a TDI PD Tuning Chip from eBay??

ButtonMonkey

I've been looking around at the various Tune Box options to give my A4 TDi 130 Avant a bit more get up and go but most 'reputable' plug-in Tune Boxes are around £400, Dragon for example. This isn't so bad but when compared to these at a measly £30 it's hard to understand the big price gap. I'd like to know what the much more expensive version offers over and above the cheapy one?? Has anyone bought one of these and got any feedback they could share?? I'd also like to know which of the plug-in systems DEFINATELY doesn't leave error codes for the Audi ECU Police to find?? I've got 2 years warranty left and don't want my wallet to get burned.

BTW - Most of the chips on e-bay are simply a resistor in a box. This plugs into the fuel temp sender and overfuels the car so more fuel is burned and hence more power obtained. The next stage up is an analogue tuning box. This is a small electronic circuit which fools the fuel temp sender into thinking the fuel is colder than it is, so the heater heats the fuel and this burns more efficiently creating more power.

The next level is a digital tuning box which fits into the fuel loom and gives a real time fuelling strategy in combination with the ECU.

The poshest is a remap which actually reprograms the ECU!

yep - i went for the cheapo £30 box to test out the difference before a remap. It was TUV approved and was a great piece of kit!!! Only had it on for one day because my insurance wouldnt touch me!! Waiting for renewal in December and then putting it back on.

FOr the money, it was sound. There was a tiny bit more smoke, but lots of torque. Main issue was getting the power down in the wet! £30 is best to try it out...... i wouldnt leave it on for a long time though - my warranty is up soonish anyway..... 169144-ok.gif If you live near me, you can borrow it for a weekend! (South Manchester.....) grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

BTW - Most of the chips on e-bay are simply a resistor in a box. This plugs into the fuel temp sender and overfuels the car so more fuel is burned and hence more power obtained. The next stage up is an analogue tuning box. This is a small electronic circuit which fools the fuel temp sender into thinking the fuel is colder than it is, so the heater heats the fuel and this burns more efficiently creating more power.

The next level is a digital tuning box which fits into the fuel loom and gives a real time fuelling strategy in combination with the ECU.

The poshest is a remap which actually reprograms the ECU!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's the kind of info i was looking for. A good job well done.

[ QUOTE ]

Actually I do live near you. I'm in South Warrington and work in Manchester. I'm off on a fortnights holiday next week but i'll PM you when i get back so I can pop over to try it out, if that's OK. Cheers for the offer, much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

no probs mate - PM me when you get back then.... 169144-ok.gif