NEW GOLF GT!!??!!

allgolfdup

OK...It seems that VW have taken their fill on the mkv gti...or they wish to keep it exclusive....or sales are falling!Whatever it is..the VW VORTEX site has reported that the powers that may be, are releasing a watered down 170ps version at the end of the year!!! confused.gif

Now...should we be happy or sad?could this be a subtle sign that gti production was and is limited...or is this a whole new ball game!?? coffee.gif

It seems this could be the GTI version of the porsche boxter...for the man that wants one but (dare i say)cant afford one...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To chat about your question of whether the GTI production is/was limited....

My figures might not be absolutely exact but I believe that 6,500 GTIs were produced/allocated to the UK (The GTI's biggest market by far) in 2005 calendar year and that a further 7,000 will be produced for the UK during the course of 2006.

We all know from our buying experience that this car is in great demand and deserves all the praise received. So, although faced with strong demand, VW are not increasing production to meet it. It's easy to speculate but what I have heard is that VW have got their hands absolutely full in producing ALL their cars and this is in spite of the Wolfsburg factory having the same floor area as the whole island of Gibraltar!

Those of us who now have our GTIs can now breathe a sigh of relief and simply enjoy it. Those seriously thinking of ordering are advised not to procrastinate too long! Some dealers have already finished their 2005 allocation and it's only September 1st!

And yes, spec will doubtless 'improve' twice a year but the evolution of technology never stands still and there'll ALWAYS be something bigger and better released soon after you've bought yours....Pointless to be bothered by that though. Huhumm....I feel myself rambling! Nuff said!

[ QUOTE ]

as they say i think their reaching the oap market with this one smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Steady boy!! I'm fast approaching that age. Yet, I've noticed that the GTI is bringing out all sorts of enthusiastic driving from me!

Joking apart, all Golfs are relatively expensive cars - excellent value but not cheap - and so I don't think many 'senior citizens' are seen driving them....If they are filthy rich people they'll buy the heavier limos or otherwise they'll buy cheap but fully featured Japanese motors methinks.

Perhaps I'm taking your words too literally and you are only saying that the new GT's performance is pedestrian.

I think that you are absolutely right!Put it this way..VW are proud..very proud of the GTI and the positive critical acclaim it has recieved!Now they would want to milk it for all its worth but they obviously are incapable of doing so...so they produce something as close to the GTI as they can get!What would be the point of producing a super charged 1.4 and also, people might aswell go for the 2.0 FSI sport if they could not afford the GTI!!Something is definitely up...hmmmm sekret.gif and its definitely not the production of the gti!

There is a point to the 1.4, first it's low capacity so it will have lower emissions, higher mpg and possibly even lower road tax and insurance.

Second is it's probably aimed at those that don't want the out and out performance of the GTI but do want something sporty which is relatively cheap to run but don't want a diesel.

Third is, ok it's not exactly new technology since some WWII planes had supercharged turbocharged engines and Lancia had a car 20 years ago with it, but it is new to VW and is a good solution for economy vs performance not using diesel. There's an article that suggested there will be 1.6 & 2.0 variants, if the 1.4 can output 170ps, imagine what you could get the 2.0 to do with no worse economy compared to the 2.0TFSI 169144-ok.gif

They've kept the GT suitably different to the GTI, there's no side skirts or unique rear valance, but it does take styling cues from the GTI which will help in it's appeal.

VW are desperate for sales, so they need something other than the GTI to get them up!

Red,

6,000 or 7,000 sounds a lot when you consider they are releasing just 625 down under this year 2005/6. Release date was mid May. Picked mine up on July 2. Brilliant - even love the red (wifes idea - something about if your going to have a mid-life crisis have a decent one. I was going for black.

News reports in Australia say that orders here (supplied from the South African factory) are running at 60 cars per week. Assuming 625 is all that can be supplied that's 5 years worth.

There is no doubt that there will be long supply delays I was stopped last week by a Mini driver (John Copper package) who ordered his GTI in late July - delivery wait for it April 2006. He asked whether it was worth it. Absolutely!!

First time to post, though been watching and learning from the site for a few months. Thought it time to join in. It's a bit hard to find enough people here in Oz to talk about our addiction.

Hi you guys from Oz and a warm welcome!

QzGTI, your wife is right! Black looks very smart and understated but Red looks amazing! Your wife will also be glad that having this car has doubtless rejuvenated you!! I'm 58yo and don't mind growing old as long as I don't have to grow up! (sorry to those guys who've heard me say this before - more than once!). Actually, all the colours look good and I was very surprised I like the metallic grey so much, especially colour coded like Andy's.

Glad you found the long wait worth it. I can't get my head around VW not producing more GTIs but it's an advantage for those of us who have one either ordered or in the flesh.

The addiction is international and knows no bounds!! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ordered mine in April with an expected delivery in January '06.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that is a long wait clubman !!

I ordered my GTI with all options expect xenon on may 4th and will be picking up on 5th Sept (3 day's time jump.gif)

In addition, If I was not on holidays I would have been able to pick it up a week earlier.

I don't envy you if you do indeed need to endure such a long wait - 4 months was plenty long enough for me.

We have two VW dealers here in WA - How many in SA?

This GT was just talked about on http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/521580/page/0/fpart/all/vc/1

The GTI has always had a 'waterered down version' all its life. MK1 Driver, Mk2 driver etc. So nothing new there.

The idea of using a 1.4 engine with supercharge and turbocharge is new for VW though and i think its to do with a lot of tax laws and insurance in other countrys were engine size makes a big difference.

No,

Its 2005 spec. No bee sting. Build date is April 05. Shipped into Oz in May. I'm 'in good' with a Victorian country dealer, though live in Melbourne. He used it as a demo (with my agreement) for a month from the beginning of June to July 2 when I picked it up.

I don't know when the SA built cars are moving to a 2006 or whether that spec will be similar to that of the UK. The specs between Oz and the UK seem to have a fair few differences in any case:

Mid line computer here is standard

Only one CD option available - either the 6 stack dash mount or the Sat Nav

Paddles on the DSG are standard here

Conti Super Sports seem to be the only available tyre (at least on 17's)

No folding mirrors

It's worth the wait.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I don't envy you if you do indeed need to endure such a long wait - 4 months was plenty long enough for me.

We have two VW dealers here in WA - How many in SA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the one dealer in SA so we're not exactly spoilt for choice but no complaints. My build week is scheduled for week 45 landing in OZ sometime in January.

Let us know if your GTI arives in 2006 spec.

Nice to see a few other Aussies on here, I ordered at the beginning of May and expect delivery sometime next week! To say I'm excited is an understatement, I have been lurking around the forums for what seems an eternity. A mate of mine took delivery last week and after a fang in his car I'm more revved up than ever. jump.gif

Arrival imminent: Mk5 GTI,leather,satnav,DSG.