NEW GOLF GT!!??!!

allgolfdup

Welcome shipper1....We all know that excitement you describe! The amazing thing is that you'll still be grinning from ear to ear after delivery. I bet your mate is still grinning....Does he lurk here too?

Please tell us more about your car: What colour and additional spec and do please post pics here when you have her. It would be interesting to see pics of the Mk5 GTI in different countries.

I've never been to Oz....Righthand or lefthand drive?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red,

As some of the other guys from OZ have already said we get a fairly high spec as standard. You can buy a GTI for AUD39K for Manual or AUD42K for DSG they both come with standard multifunction wheel,armrest,fogs,cruise,dualzone AC and 6 stack dash mount CD. We have a limited range of options (roof,satnav,leather and xenons)so we are quite well looked after. On the negative side we do not get an option for the 18" monzas like you guys but we are offered an 18" Toureg wheel which apart from costing AUD5000 also necessitates a small wheel arch flare (which looks a bit tacky!)needless to say if you want18s you are better off killing the original tyres first the going for after market BBS CH or similar. Mine is Silver - another niggle actually as we are only offered Red,White,Black,shadow blue and silver. I REALLY wanted either Graphite Blue or Steel Grey! I even offered to pay extra but no deal, it's one of those 5 colours or nothing!

Scott....I thought it would be righthand drive but wasn't 100%....Ta for educating me.

shipper1....Bummer about limited colour choice, it's not as if you were asking for a colour which isn't produced for the car. Doubtless VW factory production for your GTIs is not in Wolfsburg. Love to see some pics of wheels with the "tacky" flares.

As Scott says, we all fancy seeing exotic images of Mk5 GTIs in foreign environments. Images of a white GTI among palm trees in California or Miami would be eye-candy.

Red,

the colour choice really doesn't make a great deal of sense as we get standard Mk5s in grey (the same as "steel grey" but for some reason they call it "United Grey" down here! Thanks by the way for the enthusiasm which shines through in your posts. I always know I'm going to get my fix of GTI goodness if I see you are active in a topic!

....Thanks for appreciating my uncontrollable enthusiasm when it comes to the GTI subject! It's an addiction which I'm quite happy not to get treatment for. Basically I'm only telling it the way I see it. There are odd moments when I question myself if I look at life through rose coloured glasses (ah! now I understand why I have a red car) but it's good to know that I sometimes bring pleasure and help to others 169144-ok.gif , but you shouldn't encourage me!

We happen to be a good bunch of guys in this forum....My personal opinion is that generally those in the UK-MKIVS VW forum are often too full of their own egos etc - but NOT all of course....Too much rivalry and testosterone! Besides which the TSN structure and site is much better focussed and has a better User Interface (UI).

Now I have arse licked TSN so much, can this 58yo GTI addict stop being titled "old hand"? Pleeeese smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My personal opinion is that generally those in the UK-MKIVS VW forum are often too full of their own egos etc - but NOT all of course....Too much rivalry and testosterone!

Now I have arse licked TSN so much, can this 58yo GTI addict stop being titled "old hand"? Pleeeese smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I saw your attempts at missionary work yelrotflmao.gif

Now you see what I meant! The trouble there is that there are too many people giving obviously false information about cars that they patently haven't driven and have read it somewhere sekret.gif

Awesome to see so many new faces....or should i say avatars on this forum! beerchug.gif i think that the lack of colour choice you have down under, which we are lucky to have up here, is only due to the fact that the S.A. factory is much smaller than the Wolfsburg one.Therefore in order to accomodate the backlog of demand, they must cut some options, save money and keep waiting times to a minimum!!

Waiting for the GTI is unbearable...i dont know what to do with myself..apart from join you guys on here!!..i feel like im waiting for the world to end!

This is gonna be one heck of a looooong 5 days! SAUER0421.GIF

Red,

Australian GTI's , well all Golfs in fact are produced in South Africa.

Seems South Africa is the place for southern hemisphere product from most the German makes. Audi still imports its cars from Germany into Australia but produces cars in South Africa for other markets. BMW build and supply 3 series out of SA to Australia as does Ford with its new Focus.

Don't think we'll see too many cars down under with 18's - the 'tacky' flares don't work. Shipper is being too nice referring to them as tacky.

What about a red GTI in front of Ayers rock at sunrise or sunset? It would be a good look I think.