Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spankit

Gti COLOUR which one and why people?

Upgraded Brakes  

1. 1. Upgraded Brakes

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

From Shakespeare’s 1609 sonnet CI

'Truth needs no colour, with his colour fixed;

Beauty no pencil, beauty's truth to lay;

But best is best, if never intermixed'?

Translated…

Beauty needs no cosmetics, it already has its own fixed colour and appearance. In the same way truth needs no additional colouring, since it has its own. Beauty needs no advertisement to justify itself.

OK double English over with. Phew!!!! Was wondering which gti colour you have/would choose and why? As it is a fine line between choosing, and a very difficult decision. Negative and positive views as always. 169144-ok.gif

Steel grey because that's what I have 169144-ok.gif

Although I went in to my stealers with every intention of ordering diamond black, I just happened to mention my second choice was steel grey and he said they'd just received one waiting for customer collection and took me out back to see it. That sold me on the colour.

I like it's subtlety, I didn't want a car that stood out too much, would rather go unnoticed but have since realised that impossible in any colour GTI!

Andy thats exactly why i considerd steel grey, was my second/third choice. The girlie said she would not be happy etc... if I got steel grey. So without her 'imput' steel gray had a big shout.

Same reasons as Andy - saw one at the dealers and decision was made there and then. I like its subtlety too - low key and stealthy works for me.

Steel grey is indeed an excellent colour and if they didn't make a black one it would be the best.

But they did, so it's the second best 169144-ok.gif

........ or grey is faded black laugh.gif

Interesting to see that 2 people have the flat black. I must admit that it's very hard to see the difference between it and the metallic black, only in direct bright sunlight can you see the metallic finish. Probably a good way to save a few quid

It just has to be red, simple as that. It's a GTi, classic car needs a classic colour, when I was a kid Golf GTi's were always RED. 169144-ok.gif

Don't remember seeing any red GTIs when they were around in the 80s, they were mostly white, black or dark blue

I went with white as the GTi is one of the few cars that looks good in it. Also it brings back memories of the Mk1 (of which there were lots of white ones) which was a car I always wanted to own smile.gif

The negative side is that it is going to be a pain to keep clean (but will look great when it is clean!)

[ QUOTE ]

Don't remember seeing any red GTIs when they were around in the 80s, they were mostly white, black or dark blue

[/ QUOTE ]

....Sorry mate, but not so. Since ordering my Mk5 GTI I have naturally noticed ALL GTIs I come across - old and new - and the majority I've seen are red. Saw a dark green Mk3 yesterday and had a bit of fun today with a youngster in a red Mk3 (he had to brake into corners which the Mk5 didn't need to)....All friendly 169144-ok.gif Have seen mostly Mk1s to my surprise. Saw a Mk5 in Tornado Red on Friday in oncoming traffic and quickly flashed and got a wave from a middle-aged woman. I see lots of black Mk4s and a few silver Mk4s.

Cheers,

RED Robin!!

I'm talking back in the 80s though. Never liked Golfs then but do remember lots of white ones and various anonymous dark metallics.

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours Sam

My first choice was red as this was the colour that most of the early MK1's seemed to be in and looks fab on the MK5.

I bought an ex demo with a HUGE discount, so Reflex is the colour and next week the rear upper valance will be Reflex and not bumper black.

Silver, so easy to keep clean. Wash, semi dry then silver polish. done in 20 min!

I still wish it was red though!

Isn't there anyone on here who remembers the Mk1 or 2? Red certainly wasn't the most common colour ROLLEY~14.GIF

I remember the Mk1 have owned one for 16 years lol.

The current stats of known mk1 GTI campaigns still alive stands as the following

57 Mars Red

31 Alpine White

60 Schwartz Black

52 Lhasa Green

59 Helios Blue

83 Diamond Silver

oh and i cannot view the pole results or vote as it says i have done so already from this IP address but i have not.

I like shadow blue on the mk5 GTI,

As someone that keeps cars along time

In my eyes Blacks to hard to keep clean and unmarked.

Reds too boy racer looking and fades too much especially on bumpers and on a 20K+ car bright red?.

The gray just reminds me of primer.

Laser blues a bit sickly looking to me.

Silvers not as glass mirror finish as older VW diamond silver which is a shame.

white again on a 20K car?

Ink blue never seen one that colour yet so don't know.

Graphite Blue is a colour is ok and was another choice.

So it did not leave me a big choice in my own eyes for colours.

All above are just personal opinion and not ment to offend anyone so don't take it too hart please. smile.gif

Thanks spankit....A fun thread! 169144-ok.gif

Everyone is probably sick of hearing why my choice has been Tornado Red but this is the right thread, so, for anyone who hasn't:

My BMW which I had for many years was metallic Dolphin Grey smile.gif and then for a year I was given a Flash Red VW Golf Mk4 1.6. At first I thought "Yeuk!! Can I change the colour to silver?" But I couldn't and then I began to like having a red car mostly because it looks great from the inside to see small amounts of red.

My name has always been Robin and Red Robin Music Productions was an obvious choice of name for my music stuff - Tweet-Tweet. Red is also one of my favourite colours and the Tornado Red is stunning (but so are most of the Mk5 GTI colours). My number plate was an opportunity which came along unplanned and I went for it!

In spite of my love of red generally I was VERY tempted by both silver and the brighter blue for my GTI. Black looks very smart and classy and understated, but, as you can see from the attached image, I've never been one for understatement. Pic is me playing at The American Museum, Claverton Manor, Bath. Btw, the GTI is perfect for hauling a big 450W Monitor and miles of cables etc. plus my traditional dance regalia - A truly great allrounder.

531322-RP_Flute%40Bath%28small%29.jpg

post-10081-137914323447_thumb.jpg

....Oh No!! I've hit 700 posts and become an "old hand"!! Serves me right!

Made my colour choice via the process of elimination.

Black you loose the front end of the gti, which in mho is one of its best aesthetics. Also black shows every little mark scratch etc…

Blue I find the red detailing just doesn’t look right. Although I do like a dark blue car.

White a strong choice, but wouldn’t want to keep it clean. Although white does look great.

Silver is a little too last seasons for me, like laminate flooring, I remember the late 90’s early 00’s.

So it as a toss up between the grey and red, red it is. When do you get the opportunity to own a vehicle that gets away comfortably with bright red? Twice, a Ducati and a hot hatch like the Golf gti. The Golf gti is synonymous with red as is Ferrari and Ducati. In the flesh red is stunning and suits the black bumper trim better than any other colour. The tartan seats match red and black paintwork best. I don’t think colour fading is an issue we’re all wiser and use wax to protect our toys. Yep red it has to be even though it will cost me 3 speeding points more on my licence than another colour.

initially i wanted the red. it looked so cool and really showed off the front black grill excellently.

when i went to order my car they had a red and a steel grey side by side.. now i was screwed !!! both looked really cool. the red was in your face boy racery (but i had my reservations because of fading), but the grey was more classy !! and i think most people are going for the red so i wanted something less common.

i managed to phone my stealer 3 times to change the colour from initial red to grey to red and back to grey again (feck !!! im turning into a woman smile.gif )

Am sticking with the grey although i think the classy understated look will be lost the second i get the quads on her smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Black you loose the front end of the gti, which in mho is one of its best aesthetics. Also black shows every little mark scratch etc…

[/ QUOTE ]

I always felt the opposite...i think that the pearl black actually accentuates the front end of the car..especially the red motif!(love the contrast!)i think thats what sets it apart from the other colours!However the tornado red does just that from the rear as it contrasts beautifully with the black bumper EEK2.GIF!Scratch marks will show up clearer on the diamond black, but not any moreso than red...they are both 2 troublesome colours!For me..it was a difficult toss up between black and red!chose black because it was less grown up...and im not ready to grow up!! jump.gif

Red was the wife's choice. Something about a mid life crisis.

Personally I would have gone for black.

But since taking delivery I'm convinced that red is the colour. It is also a great red - not just any old red.

It appears to be VW's hero colour also. Every review I've seen, in either Australian or British mags has featured the red.

We have far fewer colours here - white, solid black, red, silver and the darker of the blues. That's no steel, no diamond black, no bright blue - the bright blue looks good -might have chosen that had it been available.

I have previously posted on another thread my reasons for the pearl black. I too had serious thoughts about the tornado red. What I particularly like about the red is that IMO it shows the front grill off best. Just that bit of black by the number plate really shows the contours of the grill as a whole and the way that it curves down the bottom of the bumper. However, as a whole, red is just too bright for me!

I too have seen MANY red GTi MK1's....

Am sorry blackies out there. I think black does not bring out the bold face of the GTI enough. You need contrast and the lighter colours do the trick. Red is good but the red line under the grille gets a little lost. That leaves Grey, Silver and White. I like all three but chose White coz it screams out GTI. Maybe I'm lucky coz it doesn't get so dirty where I live. wink.gif

Here's a chart of colours with the pictures ripped from the German configurator...

532229-gti-colours-small.jpg

Si.

post-2056-137914323482_thumb.jpg