Depreciation of the Mk5 GTI!

93 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Sold my 7 month old GTI, 5 Door with Leather and 6CD for £19400

Jonathan

[/ QUOTE ]

bugger, i would have gave you more

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't really matter as I imagine Red will keep the std valance and exhaust to return it to stock if necessary at time of resale

[/ QUOTE ]

....No, I doubt very much that I will bother to a) keep the standard parts or b) refit them. WYSIWYG!! (What You See Is What You Get!)

[ QUOTE ]

Part-exchange Price, NOT DEALER FORECOURT OR PRIVATE SALE:

Excellent condition: £16600

Average condition: £14900

Below average condition: £13300

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who lets their car go for any of those figures is either desperate or a complete mug.

^^^i have to say the cheapest one i have seen was 19k for a boggo standard one with big miles, but if anyones stupid enough to sell me one for that ill take one lol

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Part-exchange Price, NOT DEALER FORECOURT OR PRIVATE SALE:

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who lets their car go for any of those figures is either desperate or a complete mug.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'am very happy to bet the tank of optimax leman owes me that no dealer has achieved a trade in at any of those prices. beerchug.gif

Well on VW.co.uk had atleast 1 GTi for 18,295 when I had a look last week, so I would suggest that the person who traded that in wouldnt have got much more than £16,500!!! crazy.gif

How do you know these cars your talking about on vw.co.uk would not be valued at £14900 or even £13300 according to the above trade in values! 169144-ok.gif

Sure, certainly, sir. Just have to get it off leman then its all yours. Thats a promise honest 'my word is my bond etc...' grin.gif

magic!!! I can [image]test[/image] a police car then on a free tank of fuel 169144-ok.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Figures below are based upon an average GTI, a few quid will be allowed above these prices for optional extras if you are lucky!

Volkswagen Golf GTI

2.0 Petrol 5-door Hatchback

6 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive

Year: 2005 05

Mileage: 5,000

Part-exchange Price:

[/ QUOTE ]

don't suppose you have the figures for a 54 3 door do you grin.gif

Though I have touched on this information in not one but two other threads, I feel it's also relevant here.

Dropped into a VW stealer's place in Somerset for a wee earlier while out testing my Millteks for droning and got chatting with 'Honest Bob' the salesperson who told me, among other things reported in the other threads, that the earliest they could deliver any new GTI orders now was March 2006! And they had easily sold all 5 demonstrators and their last GTI in June this year.

Also, that there are definitely (according to him) no plans to increase GTI production beyond the 7,000 for UK in 2006. Plenty of production of Mk5 R32 though and no R36 going to exist - So he told me.

If true, depreciation of the Mk5 GTI (for anyone interested) is surely going to be absolutely minimal.

Thought some may like to hear this. Me? - I don't care two figs! I'm too busy enjoying what I got 169144-ok.gif

woah - I think I just read the same story differently 3 times?!

I think we should be realistic about this - the VW MkV GTI is a car. Therefore it will depreciate, like all cars do.

Just because there will be limited release it doesn't mean that people will still want it as much in a year/two years time. I think it will be a high value keeper, but probably not much above 65%/3 years.

and as you've said before Red, no-one here is really TOO bothered about what it's worth in 3 years time. it's impossible to predict as well. In 3 years time, the way oil is going, it may be hugely unfashionable have a thirsty car, and then no-one will want one anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

woah - I think I just read the same story differently 3 times?!

[/ QUOTE ]

....Yep but not exactly. One thread was about GTI depreciation, another about long waiting times, and the other was about R32 production. Oh, and all of them were about my delight in using VW stealers as a public toilet!

There are currently 3 threads on these 3 different subjects. I'm waiting to see if a Mod points out any error in my ways smashfreakB.gif

Hi mu....I didn't say that the GTI will not depreciate but that it would probably hold its value relatively well due to continued limited production. I wrote this for the sake of those interested (unlike you and me).

Actually, in reading your post again I think we are in agreement.

169144-ok.gif Robin

If VW GB restrict the supply of the GTI beyond 2006 then were are all going to benefit.

The GTI needs to become aspirational once more, just like it was in the 1970's and early 1980's.

The TT dragged the image of Audi from the mire, if VW want to emulate that success, then restricting the supply will benefit GTI owners and VW.

How easy is it to import a GTI to UK spec, that has an influence to a degree on second hand prices.

Hi Tunner - I think you have probably sussed out what VW are up to: Making the GTI aspirational again (and consequently promoting the Golf brand generally) to benefit themselves. If owners benefit then I guess we will either come back for more or spread the good word about VW 169144-ok.gif

The stealer I visited the other week (I've never been there before, I was just passing) was saying that demand for the GTI was still very high in comparison to the rest of the market which is generally going slow.

Not all dealers have used up their allocation for this year so the GTI is not "sold out" just yet!

Times quoted was 10-12 weeks, this was just one dealer I happened to be passing so I'm sure the March 2006 quoted was a local thing.

That bears out what a mate of mine was saying when he inquired about the GTI recently, he was told that he could expect delivery before Xmas if he ordered in the next couple of weeks

Firstly: If a salesperson said that if you ordered now, that you could have it by the end of the year, would they put this agreement in writing and compensate you for a later than expected delivery?

My guess is NO!

There are unsold allocations amongst the dealers, but...I bet not one would put in writing, a dispensation clause benefiting the purchaser when the car arrives late?

Read my previous posts, do a search?

Dealerships are, or will be, under huge cash flow problems. Folk have not got the cash or the ability to borrow on the 'never never'!

The last dealer I trusted was in 1988. The Nova SRi had been on order for ages. It sat in a dealers compund for weeks, I saw it there. I requested that they remove bits, paint other bits, but on Aug 1st , my car was still in the compound.

Needless to say. I got a bit annoyed, having ordered ages before.

Salesman got the sack for putting the simple orders for comission, ahead of my non standard order. I got my Nova 7 days later.

Since then, my sole intention as far as cars are concerned, is to make the system work for me!

A salesperson is only there to make commission, and not to help YOU!

I have been advertising my Gti for sale now with 10,000 miles leather, bluetooth, 18in BBS CH's, 6cd armrest for £18,500 private when it had 7000 miles and had no takers. Previously I had contacted various dealers and had bids from £15000 - £17000 but the car was in at the dealers last week and they have offered to buy it back at £18,000 (not trade in). Suffice to say it is going back into their hands.

That is a very good price, my local stealer has just sold an ex demo for £18995 ( not as high a spec though)

Hi Mags - Am interested why you are selling your GTI so soon. Are you the first person here to feel dissatisfied with it or just moving to another ride?

I've decided to trade mine in once the new EOS comes out providing it's not over 25K for the 2.0fsi turbo version, here's hoping.

I was quoted by a friend in the trade 16 weeks at present from there dealership and he said its all simply down to allocation. He said most dealers local are sold out till March.

But i have noticed all dealerships local have at least one GTIs secondhand and simply are not shifting them. So looks like everyone wants new not secondhand.