Which Diesel

alanm73

I have had my car for two weeks now and am on my 3rd tank of Derv. Up to now i have used Tesco Diesel Once and Morrisons Twice. So far i have averaged 46 MPG which i am quite pleased with considering both me and the GF have a heavy right foot.

Is it worth paying 5 to 7 pence a Litre more or Shell or BP Ultimate? and does the car actually run any smoother on it?

Oh the car is a 2005 A£ 2.0TDI S-Line DSG and has done around 8,000 Miles.

My local Shell has diesel extra at the same price as all other garages have diesel, and my car gets better economy using it, so i always fill up there.

Used to swear by BP Ultimate, it is better than Shell, it was just a pain that i had to go a long distance out of my way to get it, then pay 5p extra a litre for it.

My car feels more responsive and returns a better MPG on Shell and BP's performance Diesil rather then on the normal stuff. Also the emmissions are lower, so thats helps me come MOT time too.

I used to use BP Ultimate Diesel but I've switched back to Shell Extra. Because to pay an extra £5 per tank wasn't that good as there wasn't any difference apart from a slightly quiter engine on start up.

• 3 weeks later...

Morrisons diesel is highly variable. It varies between not very good and complete rubbish.

I have two diesels and both ran like tractors after being filled from a Morrisons outlet. Even my wife noticed the difference and normally the wheels have to drop off before she senses something is amiss.

BP Ultimate is very good but I think you only get the full benefit in a modern high pressure turbo diesel, which seem to be far more fuel sensitive than older engines.

But there is a Secret Weapon: Millers Diesel Power Plus, a cetane improver/cleaner/lubricant that improves most fuels greatly. I do not use it all the time, but other do and it seems to make a big difference

I`ve been using millers power plus for the past few months, gone through my first bottle. when i got the car MOT`d last week the smoke test was the lowest its ever been in any previous MOT. its usually about 0.55-0.75 this time it was only 0.25. so its definately reducing smoke if nothing else.