De-restricted Autobahn

rmmacauley

On a recent trip to the 'ring we were on the autobahn for a stretch and we were a bit uncertain about which bits had no speed limit.

There were electronic signs above the road which had limits of 130kph / 120kph or lower when the traffic got heavier.

At times these signs were just blank - does that mean that the section was derestricted or is there a special sign for derestricted sections?

Are all autobahns like this or is it only some which have derestricted parts?

Thanks in advance...........

[ QUOTE ]

You do have to keep an eye on the signs as they tend not to use repeater signs that much. The derestriction sign is the same as we use here to signify the national speed limit

nsla_100.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is the national speed limit in Autobhan land is it somewhere in the region of 635mph so you dont break the sound barrier or what ? smirk.gif

You are nearly right, it looks like the one above, but you also get 130 (kph) behind it. There are 2 limits on some autobahn signs, the one with "bei naBe" means "when (road) wet". Speeding tickets/gatsos are much cheaper in Germany than the UK (my last fine was £17) and no points. Just use common sense. I promise that when you are tanking along at 150 (mph) there will be some bugger in a Porsche or Merc overtake you. Just watch the entry/exit slip roads, Germans are 'bendier' than Brits and after a 150mph blast you can easily get caught out when exiting. Have fun. Oh, and if the cops pull you over, try "es tut mir leid, ich bin englisch", that should do the trick...

Ah , so if the overhead electronic signs are blank then there is no limit , even if the sign which looks like our national speed limit sign is not seen?

This is what confused me , and I was afraid to double the speed limit in case I had got it wrong and ended up in jail!

Did manage 140 mph on the start/finish straight on the 'ring before coming off however!

[ QUOTE ]

Ah , so if the overhead electronic signs are blank then there is no limit , even if the sign which looks like our national speed limit sign is not seen?

This is what confused me , and I was afraid to double the speed limit in case I had got it wrong and ended up in jail!

Did manage 140 mph on the start/finish straight on the 'ring before coming off however!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it gets confusing, because not all autobahns are derestricted, it depends which bundesland (state) you are in ... just go for it, they'll not nick a Brit (but don't quote me on it !). 140mph on the ring ? In what ? beerchug.gif

Ah , so it is more complicated as I suspected!

How do you know which autobahns have derestricted sections and which haven't? Is there a list somewhere?

I knew it was too good to be true!

The pic of the car was taken on Wednesday last -

996.jpg

It is just possible to get to 140 on the start finish straight before braking for the exit if you carry enough speed out of the last corner. beerchug.gif