its almost here.

jason_s

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay....

D-mode:

Just like a conventional automatic but changes gear at low rev thresholds. For example you can be in 6th at 20mph. The GTI's torque is so good that she'll respond immediately to the accelerator. Best fuel economy.

S-mode:

Changes each gear at high rev thresholds such as 5-6K. Behaves according to how you hit/stroke the accelerator or brake.

Manual:

Either tiptronic by nudging stickshift in line (not as gate) or by using paddles. Paddles easiest to drop several gears very quickly - 6th to 2nd click click click click just like a F1 car smile.gif Stickshift stays to left for all manual modes.

But here comes the really clever bit:

You can be in D or S mode and just by clicking a paddle select the gear you want and after not using a paddle for 20 seconds she will return automatically to D or S as you were. Or by holding the right paddle for 2 seconds she will return immediately to D or S. Or by nudging stick sideways to manual you can stay in manual.

You can work the DSG box in every direction and mix it as suits. DSG gear shifting is faster than any human can achieve and without any interruption of motion/drive.

Yes, there can be an occasional delay from standing but it's all a matter of feel and getting used to how to stroke the accelerator. It really does give you the best of both worlds. DSG is what sold me the most on the GTI.

I know of an increasing number of experienced drivers who are expert manual changers but now love DSG. It's still early days for track racers but I reckon it'll come - Afterall ask any F1 driver about paddle shifting.

[ QUOTE ]

Trouble is that they are havign a little difficulty getting me any fuel (the 3 local garages are apparently dry!). Whould be fun, a new car that I wont be able to drive due to the muppets stockpilling fuel....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam....It's very doubtful that your dealer will give you Optimax (or BP Ultimate) unless you insist but I'm finding that there aren't any queues for Optimax cos the muppets out there are only interested in saving costs! This morning in Dorchester I just went past loads of cars and straight to the Optimax pump smile.gif No-one objected.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm finding that there aren't any queues for Optimax cos the muppets out there are only interested in saving costs! This morning in Dorchester I just went past loads of cars and straight to the Optimax pump smile.gif No-one objected.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sadly isn't the case round here, the only thing the huge queues are interested in is filling their tanks with fuel at any cost. Having said that, all the stations here have standard u/l and Optimax/Ultimate at the same pumps so you wouldn't be able to get to a separate pump anyway. I'm lucky and have plenty of fuel to last me for a while but I notice I've been driving much more carefully the last couple of days and have averaged 35mpg on this tankful so far which is astonishingly good for me 169144-ok.gif

Optimax is at the same triple set, as you rightly say, but I just got lucky cos the Unleaded on the set was sold out and the other was Diesel and not being wanted when I arrived. I'm often a lucky so-and-so!!

How do you manage 35mpg?!! I thought I was careful running mostly in D-mode and I haven't got above 29.7mpg (overall).

[ QUOTE ]

How do you manage 35mpg?!! I thought I was careful running mostly in D-mode and I haven't got above 29.7mpg (overall).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just being very careful. Keeping the speed down, making the most of engine braking and using momentum from a downhill gradient to help me up the next - basically using every trick in the book, I don't want to run out.

It's very boring driving like that though, don't know how long I can keep it up crazy.gif

Jay, you're experiencing exactly what I did - Car seemed to disappear off radar immediately after final assembly and didn't appear again for about 3 weeks. I reported the process in detail in another thread - Sorry can't remember which and I'm feeling sleepy now.

Hang on in there buddy 169144-ok.gif

Nite nite zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

hey guys,

am on the production complete stage..... cant wait. have just ordered the millteks and valance so there ready to go when i get the car.

am sooooo looking forward to getting her smile.gif

Robin, my stealer told me the paint code for the steel grey is x6x6. andy at awsome said ill have to go by the paint code in the boot of the car and not to rely on the manual says code. whats the difference. did yours have extra letters/numbers after the normal code ?

I didn't know that and so I checked my handbook's code as LY3D (Tornado Red) but my bodyshop has worked on GTIs for years and told me the code without even looking it up.

Sensible to wait for the car and handbook and check both code refs. Also, you might appreciate your mods more if you do a 1,000 miles as standard first. But it's up to you. Enjoy it either way mate 169144-ok.gif