Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simonl

Autocar

67 posts in this topic

UK journos are not the only ones who love the GTI. Here are a handful of quotes from the two major Australian car mags...

Wheels

"A superb effort. Dynamics seemlessly integrated. Has the best handling/ride mix, (the article also compares the A3TFSI, Renault Sport Megane 225 and Bimmer 120i) and kills the wayward Mk4 Golf R32 for body control and balance".

"The GTI impresses from the moment you grasp its funky leather-and -metal gearknob, blag first in its slick shifting six-speed box, and squeeze on the metal-plated accelerator.....2.0 litre boasts superb throttle response and is abolutely bulging with torque - to the point where you can tromp the throttle in sixth and genuinely believe your in fourth'.

"The GTI is the standard setter for value, comfort and style. Great wheel, lovely seats and sweet gearshift".

"Inside the A3 is bloody good, but the GTI borders on greatness. Cabin suggests car costs $10K more'.

'For a case study in how to tune a front-drive hot hatch, see Golf GTI. In a word, its brilliant. No rival can match the VW for its gorgeous mix of supple yet impressively disciplined ride quality with fluid, poised and adjustable handling'

"The Golf GTI conquers all"

And from Motor (Motor is a bit more 'sports driver oriented' but the truth is both are pretty mainstream)

"Half way through the calendar and the Golf GTI is one of the highlights of the year. Indeed of the few cars in front of the VW most wear Porsche badges and all wear a much bigger price tag".

"The GTI is quick but is also gergeous to drive"

"If the buget goes to $40,000, it's well worth the stretch"

The $40K price is for a standard manual car - standard trim is pretty good, multi function wheel, mid line computer, arm rest, 6 stack, ac, lots of airbags, 17's with Conti tyres. Only factory options are leather, DSG, Xenons, sat/nav and sunroof.

Bottom line - Aussie motoring journos love the way she goes, love the way she feels and reckon she's great value.

Can't disagree with that!!!

Thanks for those articles OzGTI, woul dbe interested to see what the first mag says about the A3 TFSI,

Sussex Steve,

Wheels were not quite so kind about the A3 TFSI. Audi's get great reviews for design and interior over here but get pasted for ride and handling.

Here's a couple of quotes:

'A3 is a slightly sharper handler than the inspired GTI - rolls less, still nicely balanced but rides harder and dynamics not as fluid. Curiously, steering feels much lighter'.

'The A3 remains a roomy, competitive package. Its boot is huge- larger than the Golf's - and its in-cabin refinement is equally hushed. Its just that the VW does it noticebly better'.

'In its favour the four ringed five door is stiffer suspended than the VW, sitting flatter in corners and delivering excellent grip on the identically sized Continental rubber, and it doesn't move around quite as much as the GTI, proving a little sharper and more precise in its throttle adjustability....a terse ride quality that, while still quiet and well-damped, isn't as absorbent as the VW".

'where every control in the GTI feels seemlessly integrated, the A3's steering feels at odds with its tighter handling and its brakes are over servoed'

"The A3 is a tad quaicker off the line (DSG only gearbox option on A3's in Oz) and exhibits more exhaust crackle'

They liked the performance of the DSG A3.

The catch for the Audi is its 10K dearer than the GTI and not as well equipped in standard form. They also noted that the A3 had flatter, less supportive seats and less headroom than the GTI

[ QUOTE ]

Sussex Steve,

Wheels were not quite so kind about the A3 TFSI. Audi's get great reviews for design and interior over here but get pasted for ride and handling.

Here's a couple of quotes:

'A3 is a slightly sharper handler than the inspired GTI - rolls less, still nicely balanced but rides harder and dynamics not as fluid. Curiously, steering feels much lighter'.

'The A3 remains a roomy, competitive package. Its boot is huge- larger than the Golf's - and its in-cabin refinement is equally hushed. Its just that the VW does it noticebly better'.

'In its favour the four ringed five door is stiffer suspended than the VW, sitting flatter in corners and delivering excellent grip on the identically sized Continental rubber, and it doesn't move around quite as much as the GTI, proving a little sharper and more precise in its throttle adjustability....a terse ride quality that, while still quiet and well-damped, isn't as absorbent as the VW".

'where every control in the GTI feels seemlessly integrated, the A3's steering feels at odds with its tighter handling and its brakes are over servoed'

"The A3 is a tad quaicker off the line (DSG only gearbox option on A3's in Oz) and exhibits more exhaust crackle'

They liked the performance of the DSG A3.

The catch for the Audi is its 10K dearer than the GTI and not as well equipped in standard form. They also noted that the A3 had flatter, less supportive seats and less headroom than the GTI

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks that echo's my findings, i chose the GTI over the A3 due to the ride quality issues, the GTI is just the better all round car.

Steve,

I made exactly the same decision. I originally went shopping for a A3 TFSI sportback, trading a four year old A3 1.8T.

I have driven Audi's for 7 seven years but the GTI is without doubt the better package this time round, and not just on value for money terms.

Hi OZ GTI,the 2 New Zealand car mags Autocar NZ and Driver both tested the GTI against the 5 door Renault Megane 225. Unamous verdict was the Golf, while the Megane was faster in a straight line, the Golf beat it in every other area, particularly handling and was by far the more complete car.

Mine Tornado Red, 17in, sunroof, 6cd stacker, DSG. Loving it. Running it on BP Ultimate 98RON, Mobil have an equivalent, but we don't as yet have Shell Optimax, and not sure if we will.

Cheers

Hi LPDGTI1,

We nearly have the same spec cars! I assume your is also out of South Africa and a five door.

The two group tests here to date have been GTI, A3, Megane 225, BMW120 and Rover ZS180. The Megane is clearly a quick car but flawed with lots of bump steer, poor steering and poor road noise. While I like the look of the Renault it didn't hit the spot in driving terms for me. While not a great concern depreciation in the Renault will be massive.

The other group test was GTI, Clio 182, and 206GTi180. Again the GTI a clear winner.

Optimax is the go here for me, though will use BP if can't find a Shell station.

Can't be too many GTI's in NZ. We are scheduled to get just 600 in the full year through to May 2006. I think I'm lucky, but if the NZ deliveries are down on the Oz numbers you must be stoked.

Hi OZ GTI, yes mine 5 door out of Sth Africa, they supply the asia pacific region. I pressured the NZ importers to bring in the 3 door as it looks much more sporty, but they decided that the market for the 5 door is greater, and no doubt they want to save the 3 door for the new R32. I decided against the 18in wheels, another $2k, and a slightly harsher ride. the std 17in fill the wheel arches ok. Also decided against the leather, looked more like vynal and another $4k, same with the xenon headlights, another $2k, which would have taken it to NZD 64K. Base price in NZ for manual is $49,995 $10k more than yours. Previous car was a 306gti6, 1997, really good car of its time, but the golf is even better by a long margin, much more of a quality feel than the Pug. They have sold over 100 GTI's and heading for 150 to end of year I think. I believe in OZ that there is quite a long waiting list, and they are trying to get cars detined for other countries to alleviate the delay. Tossed up between the Tornado Red and the pearl effect Laser Blue,( nice colour) but not as sporty as the red. Would sum up the Golf by saying "effortless performance and license loosing material. Just love it. Cheers Paul.

Hi Paul and welcome.

I still don't really understand why VW aren't increasing production to meet demand for the GTI but anyway I've got mine now.

I agree with you about 17s - They look fine and also brighter because the 18s have a two-tone effect finish (which I don't much like). Oh, and Monzas are magic to keep clean as our resident cleaning expert Andy will confirm. Also the Interlagos cloth with red stripe looks and feels excellent. The Tornado Red is probably the best non-metallic red I've seen on any car - A strong Ferrari Fire Engine red! Photos simply don't do it justice (as I keep saying).

Enjoy your "effortless performance" and keep your licence! sekret.gif

Paul,

The waiting lists here I'm told are out to April/May 2006.

I'm quite happy that the cars remain relatively 'exclusive' - I'd hate to see as many GTI's around as you do 318's for instance. A mate, a Peugoet 406 Coupe owner says that every pizza shop owner in Melbourne has a 3 series, which is why he went for the rather rare Pug - despite it not being as sporty a drive.

I like a car that is a little out of the mainstream - probably why I've been an Audi owner for the past 7 or 8 years.

The only issue with this exclusivity is that the insurer's here demand that the GTI's are garaged or put behind a fence overnight. I was in the habit of leaving the A3 on the street. Now i'm in the habit at the end of the day of bringing the car in.

My car was a dealer demo. I've bought cars from this dealer for a number of years (VW/Audi dealership - Audi's previously). I did the deal on the basis that he wanted it off his stock for the end of financial year (June 30). Suited me fine, as reports were coming in that the delivery delays were starting to blow out to October/December and the lease on the A3 was nearing an end and I wanted rid of it. June 27th it was mine having agreed terms about three weeks earlier.

This meant I was stuck with the spec and the colour. I would have liked (but not needed) the sat/nav but apart from that I would have ordered the leather, roof and DSG in any case. I probably would have preferred black (or the blue you speak of) but the wife loves the red. Mid life crisis red see calls it.

Now after a couple of months I reckon the red is great - just as Red Robin tells us all the time.

I need the 5 door to put the aged mother in from time totime. We only have the one car (we work from home) so the practicality is great. Plus as you say, in a small market like ours VW will need to differentiate between the GTI and the R32 when it arrives.

On the road my car cost $49,000 here. I got a couple of K off because it had 1,000kms on it when I picked it up and that I was a return customer (and making quite a few recommendations to friends)

I couldn't be happier - best car I've owned. Quick and comfortable.

Ian

169144-ok.gif Nice real-world story Ian 169144-ok.gif

Just to let people considering colours know: I'm not saying that Tornado Red is the best but only that photos of the colour don't do it justice as a deep rich red, so it's best to actually see one and then decide that you're having a mid-life crisis and your willy is too small etc.

I can only say that having retired at 55yo and being able to come and go as I please, especially being divorced, ain't no 'mid-life crisis' as far as I'm concerned. Plus my 14yo daughter keeps me VERY young at heart. Life is good.

Enjoy your GTI....Sounds like you got a good one! 169144-ok.gif

Life is good.....

And so it should be by the sounds of it! Living out of the hurley burley of the South East corner (my wife's English and we are regular visitors so I know how much better the living is outside the M25 than inside it - though most of our UK time is spent in East Anglia or around Bristol and Somerset these days rather than the Home Counties), (semi) retired(?), musician, vibrant daughter and the, repeat the, car of the moment complete with Milltek Quads and a fancy Abt rear end and in Throbbin' Red.

If life wasn't good then I think we would all be asking you why?

BTW - Milltek/Abt products are available over here (we'd discussed this previously) - though the quads aren't at the moment. There is not much in the way of performance gear available yet for Mk5 Golf's but suppliers are promising that all the good gear is coming as car volumes increase.

FYI: VW will sell a total of about 5,000 Golfs in a full year down here - including around 600 GTI's. I think you said in an earlier post that around 6,000 GTi's will be supplied into the UK market in a given year.

[ QUOTE ]

I still don't really understand why VW aren't increasing production to meet demand for the GTI but anyway I've got mine now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grrrr... it's alright for some! wink.gif

Sorry, not meaning to rub it in! Yours will come soon enough and be the latest spec.

Met a guy this morning with a black one he's had since March....He was still VERY pleased. He was wondering if he should have ordered DSG though!

while still on colours,: on the day I collected my gti, a black magic and before seeing it yet, I first saw a silver and a white one parked in the showroom. The silver one was really cool, eyecatching and “alive” in looks. When the time came for me to go downstairs to have a quick gander at what I was collecting - black, I felt a little disappointed, it looked really dull. My first thoughts were, “oh what have I done, its too late to change” But after 3-4 days, black has grown on me. It still doesn’t have that “grab me and love me” looks like silver, but it is subdued and understated in a classy cool way. It seems to be the colour that says, “only mess with me, if you know me”. It’s a “mean” colour.