Milltek Quads (Non-resonated)...

RedRobin

certainly sounds very raspy from the recording.

it's obviously a personal thing, but I'm not a fan of raspy exhausts. Being in London, there's enough noise pollution where I live an work as it is, and the amount of BHP gain doesn't seem to justify the noise for me.

If i was to mod, (which I probably won't) then I'd remap I think. I like the fact that it's hidden and therefore unexpected. It's part of the appeal of the car as a whole in fact - that it doesn't scream boy racer.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi mu - Hearing it again I think you are right about the raspiness in the recording and mine don't sound quite so raspy. I would describe the recording as raspy rather than "very raspy" - Listening on reference monitors.

The approx 10 bhp gain and subtley improved throttle response is just right for me but I mainly modded so I could hear my engine as a driving aid.

Additionally the GTI's colour range is great because it can satisfy those like yourself who wish to be more hidden. The non-metallic black GTI looks like a Mk5 2.0 from most angles, especially rear, until you look much more carefully.

"scream boy racer"??! Millteks perform to blow your mind not your ears! They are a class sound not comparible with 'bike-boxes' etc. - In my not so humble opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

+++ Thanks Si! 169144-ok.gif Very helpful and appreciated. Having now heard this sound file I think it shows how difficult it is to make the sort of recordings of exhausts which help someone decide whether to buy a Resonated or Non-Res system.

On the plus side the AmD recording shows off the Milltek tone and I can report that my Non-Res Quads sound slightly deeper but not (I think) louder. I say "I think" because the recording is from outside the car and I have yet to hear mine from outside.

On the minus side the recording level is set high to pick up the sound but also picks up extra sounds and doesn't give a reliable indication of how loud or quiet the exhaust is. Given that we all know that the Milltek products are high quality and give good sporty tone, the main consideration is loudness and more particularly as heard inside rather than outside the car.

If I had chosen solely on the basis of this recording I would have judged Non-Res to be too loud but that simply isn't the case from INSIDE the car. This recording tends to make the Resonated version sound quite loud and consequently suggest that the Non-Res is too loud - Not so in my opinion.

Alan and others who have either Res or Non-Res versions - What do you think of this recording?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Red. Pretty much agree with your impressions of the recording - very difficult to record the sound of the Millteks objectively with a fixed mic and the car moving away from the mic. I agree that the sound of the Milltek from inside my car is in no way too loud or intrusive - I think that the exhaust has now fully bedded-in, and it doesn't seem to be getting any louder. I don't regret my purchase - and I would still recommend the non res cat back to anyone considering the mod. In fact, if there are any would be purchasers in my neck of the woods who want to hear my Milltek before purchasing their own, drop me a PM and I'll see if we can arrange a "test drive"!

[/ QUOTE ]

Red / Alan

Just received the following reply from Pete Withers at Milltek in request of sound files:

<u>My Question:</u> <font color="green">"I am looking at getting a Milltek exhaust for my Mk5 Golf GTi, but can't decide between resonated or non-resonated (unsure if the non-resonated will sound to boy-racish). I read somewhere that you have a sound file of both exhausts; is this correct and could you send me a copy of each. Another silly question, but I assume the Turbo-Back is the model to get for the GTi, instead of the Cat-Back)."</font>

<u>Pete's Answer:</u> <font color="blue">"The turbo back system is deffinately the one to fit. The system gives the car up to 15bhp extra with reduced turbo lag and sharper throttle response. If you wanted the turbo back system, I would recommend the resonated system, the non-resonated system can be a bit to loud. If you wanted just the cat back system the non-resonated system sounds perfect (not to loud, but deffinately sporty)."</font>

From the sound of Pete's reply it's either Turbo-back resonated or Cat-back Non-resonated. This seems to tie-in with what you have found Red, and also with Jay finding his non-resonated Turbo-back just to loud (sounds like the experts know what they are talking about).

Hope this helps others make their mind up.

That's extremely helpful Celts 169144-ok.gif The only thing I'm unsure about is Pete's comment that the turbo-back gives "reduced turbo lag" - I didn't think that the GTI had any turbo lag anyway or is it that my Cat-back has already provided this reduction?

Alan - "growly" is defo more accurately descriptive 169144-ok.gif .

Firstly I don't have a video camera and secondly video clips are not realistic as you can hear from the already posted one from Awesome and if you read our posted comments on it. There is absolutely no point in posting recordings unless they can be very realistic and for anyone trying to decide it's probably more important from inside the car than outside anyway.

Just to add to my last post: This whole thread has established that the Milltek options starting with quietest first are as follows:

1) Leave as standard and enjoy the exhaust sound more at higher revs.

2) Cat-back Resonated and hear the engine just a little more but have extra 10 bhp and improved throttle response.

3) Cat-back Non-Resonated - Same as above but slightly louder so you have a real driving aid.

4) Turbo-back with Resonated - Not known yet if louder than 3 but extra 15 bhp, improved throttle response and reduced turbo lag (??).

5) Turbo-back with Non-Resonated - As above but louder.

IF there is any sound difference between Twins and Quads I expect it would only be very very slight. Millteks are handmade anyway.

The bottom line is that the whole loudness subject can only be very subjective and you can rely on Milltek as probably the best exhausts currently available so take the plunge. You can easily change components anyway though it will add costs doing so.

By fitting Millteks first, any future re-map will be much better enabled and it seems pointless to re-map without improving the exhaust efficiency.

I personally think that the "Milltek Sports - blow your mind not your ears" strap line is true.

[ QUOTE ]

IF there is any sound difference between Twins and Quads I expect it would only be very very slight. Millteks are handmade anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that the Quads will have pipes on the drivers side which would mean they'd be more audible (albeit with the window down!) 169144-ok.gif

Crikey...my post was not intended to be inflamatory RR and I am concerned that you may have interpreted it as so from your response?

Over on the 32 forum there's a whole load of clips, some amatuer some more professional, of various aftermarket exhausts giving a pretty good feel for the great notes on various members' cars helping to share the joy with all.

When the guy who has bought my Mazda came to pick it up on Friday, I sat in the passenger seat for probably the first time ever, and couldn't believe how different the exhaust sounded from the passenger seat (exhaust is on the RHS of car). O.K. I know that having no roof makes the exhaust even easier to hear, but the difference really was marked.

Si.

[ QUOTE ]

Crikey...my post was not intended to be inflamatory RR and I am concerned that you may have interpreted it as so from your response?

Over on the 32 forum there's a whole load of clips, some amatuer some more professional, of various aftermarket exhausts giving a pretty good feel for the great notes on various members' cars helping to share the joy with all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooops! I'm very sorry XLR8 - I didn't mean my post to be so blunt. I'm afraid that sometimes my manner can be too abrupt for some people and anyway we all know how easy it is to misinterpret only written words. Your point is a good one and I have perhaps been trying too hard in how best to advise people. Exhaust loudness is an extremely subjective topic.

Cheers,

Robin 169144-ok.gif

Red robin "By fitting Millteks first, any future re-map will be much better enabled and it seems pointless to re-map without improving the exhaust efficiency."

ive spoken to several remapping companies and they have a standard mark 5 remap that goes on all cars. doesnt take into account all the different exhausts.

awsome have got onto APR (their remap people that have taken over ottinger) and are getting them to do a specific remap for the full turbo back and cat back quad system. they believe thell get more from this new remap as its specifically set up for our exhaust systems.

Hi Jay - I had both my Milltek exhaust and Abt rear painted and fitted by the same workshop (next door to my VW dealers) who fit VW approved parts (such as my black reverse sensors) for the dealer! I'm not sure of exactly what their arrangements are but think they are independent companies who just work together a lot.

Re re-mapping - I've no plans to do so at present - Have just spent £1,600 on Touch Screen and Remote Control Audio/SatNavDVD H/U with iPod Shuffle connectivity (All about the same cost as the factory SatNav option but better gear I think).

Milltek tell me I could very easily change from my Cat-back to a Turbo-back if I wanted to. I'm happy, at least for now. Thanks for info 169144-ok.gif

Just had an email from Ed Jackson at AMD and he says that the non res is not over the top and from his experience this is what he would fit which pretty much fits in with what Red says. Still got a few weeks to make my mind up as I am away at the moment but steering towards the non res at the moment.

The best choice that everyone (Milltek, AmD, users here) seems to be recommending is:

1) Cat-back with Non-Resonated.

2) Turbo-back with Resonated.

I suggest you also think about how likely or not it is if you would want a re-map in the future because it can influence your exhaust choice.

This Milltek thread seems to go on and on and on....

I was out the other day going along an A-road through a wooded area and the wind was blowing dead wood out of the trees [what is RedRobin going to write next?!!]. Suddenly I heard a fairly loud "Crakk!!" and dismissed it as running over a small piece of dead wood on the road. However, more recently I heard it again but this time on a dry sunny day while going from Sports-mode at around 6,000 revs back to D-mode at the top of a steep but fast climb. It was exactly the same "Crakk!!" and I have tried to reproduce it since except that I haven't travelled over that same hill again yet. Hard as I drive I cannot yet reproduce that sound to try and gain clues to what is going on.

I have spoken to Milltek and we decided that it was either 'mechanical' or 'acoustic'. Apparently some of the exhaust fixing brackets on the Mk5 are quite long and therefore there is a potential for damage if put under sufficient stress - But no cases known yet. We decided that I should keep an alert ear and note the particular circumstances.

This afternoon I asked someone I know who has track experience including with a Mk5 GTI and therefore very capable of pushing a car, to take the two of us for a 'test' drive to find the "Crakk!!". Of course, we didn't find it but he thought that what we did would have exposed any 'mechanical' Crakks. We came to the conclusion for now that it's probably just a sound which the exhausts amplify when it occurs.

Quite independently and without any prompting he commented on how good the Millteks sounded and that they were just the right loudness level. "Very nice growl" he said. It was good to have an experienced driver's opinion about them. He left with a big grin on his face and said he enjoyed it and any other time I wanted he was up for it. Everyone likes the Mk5 GTI 169144-ok.gif

But has anyone else experienced a "Crakk!!"?

[ QUOTE ]

But has anyone else experienced a "Crakk!!"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a crack but a bloody great thud today as i was travelling along at 50mph, (honestly) and a pigeon decided to commit hari kari, by throwing itself into my wind screen EEK2.GIF. Windscreen survived, pigeon was not so lucky. frown.gif