GTi Overpriced???

sw1

Hi Guys,

Before getting into this whole conversation of the GTi being overpriced I first wanted to say I love mine.... however I managed to negiogiate a large discount when I ordered mine in early Nov 04.

I got 22.5k worth of car and extras for 20K whihc made it a good deal for me. I know some people have fully specced there car to around 26k.

Reason being you have the following cars that are cheaper.

Focus ST - Just seen the prices and the top of the range version makes the GTi look very overpriced, this is 19.5k with leather and evrything.

Vauxhall VXR - I wouldn't touch it but the price is good.

R32 - Kinda thin they have shot themsekves in the foot if it is really as cheap as they say, This would make a fully specced GTi more expensive given the standard options on the R32.

Megane 225 trophy - admitedly it does look cheap inside.

Golf EOS - Different sort of car and I know they haven't arranged a price, I have heard it starts at around 19k.

1 series yelrotflmao.gif

Just interested in people's views, would you still order your GTi in the face of the new competition?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I def still would but i do feel the the GTi is a bit overpriced. Its a better drive and badge than the likes of the Honda, but the Ford will drive well. I think the badge and interior is worth a bit more, but £3k more?

VW's answer may be the GT, which will have 170bhp and be in the £17k area, that may let them keep the GTi at current prices (with a big waiting list they won't drop the price anytime soon). I guess in the future you'll be able to get £1k off the list price, but only if the waiting time goes down.

I think it is a little overpriced but i still love it. I feel a little let down by the interior, i reckon the quality on my previous car (an Alfa 147) was better, certainly in terms of materials used. Having said that, i would still order a golf, although i think it should be sitting at around £17-18K

The Focus did tempt me but after owning a ST170 I decided the extra cost of the GTI was more than justified!

The new ST at about £19,500 plus they reckon £700 for the 5 door version. Would probably end up having to spec up further for parking sensors, armrest etc which would take it up to about £21k - £22k.

Compare the above to £24,500K I paid for my GTI order and I am still happy. The extra £2,500 has got me the DSG box (priceless in my view!), a better image and better residuals!

I'm sure I would have been happy with the ST but would have always felt disappointed about not having that gearbox!

Nope - as I said, it's worth what people will pay for it and there is no shortage of people willing to pay the price.

Whether it will seem overpriced in a years time, when the pent up demand has gone, is a different matter but by definition it isn't overpriced. If you feel the opposition is as good then you could make a case for them being underpriced

Anyone who pays 20k+ for a Focus ST needs their head looking at. IMO the GTI is cheap. Let the Residuals speak for themselves!

VW is a more desirable brand than Vauxhall or Ford, and that commands a premium. If you don't want the badge, don't buy it, buy a Seat instead, that what Seat is there for!

I personally feel that VW could and should have included more equipment and priced it higher as the spec is a bit spartan as standard. MFSW, parking sensors, Winter and Luxury packs and a price of £23k would have been ok with me, made VW more profit and not diminished the waiting list, as hardly any one buys a bog standard manual GTI.

An awful lot of GTIs are being bought by people trading down from more expensive cars and the current price seems a bit of a bargain

You bought one so you obviously thought is was worth the money

I agree with Aswell - The proof of the pudding is in the eating! If the GTI was OVERpriced there would be much much less demand for it.

VeeDubs and also other German (foreign to UK) cars have always cost more but that is quite different from "overpriced" which is a term which implies bad value for money. These same German cars, especially Golfs, have higher resale values and also usually last well. We can debate the quality of trim until the cows come home (to eat the pudding!!) but the quality of car engineering build seems very good to me.

I respect the opposition but personally wouldn't buy any of it. Everyone will laugh at me when I admit that I would have rather bought the latest upgraded BMW 1 series rather than the GTI's other competitors. I bought my GTI as a good allrounder but which has fun performance (and is potentially safer as a result). DSG is the winning factor for me.

I prefer to chase the vision rather than the dollar. There is much more to life than figures on bits of paper. Now I'm beginning to sound like the 58yo I am!

Whatever floats yer boat, Each to their own etc

I agree with both Redrobin and Aswall, I think the spec is quite low but it is such a great all round car. I thought it would be an interesting debate to see what people thoguht of their GTi's after a bit of time of owning.

Mine is 7 months old and has done 8000 miles. It has a fantastic engine IMO

My previous cars include a BMW 325ci sport ocnvertible which cost a fortune and lost a ton after only one year, the thing that does make me laugh though is my in between clio 172 had a better standard spec then the GTi, Xenons, auto headlights , auto wind screen washers, Alcantera/Half leather & 6 disc changer.

Only problem with that was I hit a lampost at 5 miles an hour and the backaxle snapped ;o))

Ihad to pay for all these options in the GTi even though they are standard on several cheaper cars.

[ QUOTE ]

In the face of the opposition, it is perhaps better to ask if the car is value for money?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Exactly! It's about Value-for-Money and I think no-one can argue that the Mk5 GTI doesn't deliver! But we all know how biassed I am - Why? Simply because the GTI happens to be one of those rare cars which the manufacturer got right and I am lucky enough to have chosen one. JC and Chris Harris are right!

To go back to what Aswall said about me thinking it was VFM cos i bought one. I don't know if thats true, i think when you buy something you make a personal decision as to whether you think its fairly priced. I wanted one, i could afford one, and i really couldn't care less about resale. I was a little pissed at having to pay extra for the MFSW, particularly as it doesn't change the tracks on the CD and the paddles arent getting as much use as i thought they would. This of course was compounded when it transpired that paddles were standard. I do think the spec could be more generous but having said that, it has most things i want. Have i made any sense at all?! ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't buy this whole Brand=resale value thing. My A4 cost £30K 3 years ago, and I am being frankly shocked by the level of the trade in residuals now.

Si.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest Audi has never been a brand that commands good residuals, BMW and particularly Merc are the ones to go for for that.

A good few years ago I was choosing between a 530d, E300D and an A6 2.5D. All around the same sort of price, the BMW came out on PCP at £595 a month, the Merc £588 and the Audi?

£712 pcm shocked.gif

This was due entirely to noone, even Audi Finance, being willing to guarantee more than 38% after 3 yrs

You've opened up a lively topic, stu! 169144-ok.gif

When are people going to stop focussing on pounds shillings and pence and live in the present and just enjoy what they have. Tomorrow is another day - Enjoy it when/if you get there - So what if you are then driving a Reliant Robin! It's a different kind of fun! Worried about your image? - Just be grateful you've got good health and a roof over your head and people who love you. I don't care what my neighbour has parked in their effing drive! No skin off my nose!

Surely no-one here bought their GTI because they thought they could resell it well or because they thought it was a cheap deal. Sorry to rant but it's all about enjoying driving and using a vehicle and not much else in my not so humble opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

I lost just under 10k on mine in 1.2 years, well and truly gutted even though it was a nice car.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, i vowed never to get another BMW ever again, it was an expensive divorce!

But then i realised that any 25k+ car is going to hurt badly after such a short relationship. I'm always so seduced by BMW's, until i own them.

[ QUOTE ]

Surely no-one here bought their GTI because they thought they could resell it well or because they thought it was a cheap deal. Sorry to rant but it's all about enjoying driving and using a vehicle and not much else in my not so humble opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're debating Red, We've done Milltek to death, we've done Optimax to death, we've even started debating cameras and photoshop... what else do we have! crazy.gif