Sweet Black Angel....

RedRobin

So, I got your attention? Subject is Road Angel by Blackspot....

Being born in Macdom sometimes has its problems. Sam and LeMan will bear this out....Any other Mac users here?

I wish to hard-wire a Road Angel in my GTI but their web site has no info to suggest they support anything other than Windoze (nothing personal but it pisses me off - It's a Mac hang-up!). I've actually ventured outside this GTI forum into the TSN General forum among the Big Boys - Scary out there! - But no positive answers.

My VW dealer told me this morning (Saturday) that they recently hard-wired a Road Angel in a Mk5 GTI owned by a client who also uses Macs (Obviously someone with great taste and style!) and that it was simply a matter of getting an extra component. I'm on broadband with USB 1 & 2 and all FireWire connectivity for any peripherals. Ready, willing and eager to spend money on Road Angel!

Apart from suggestions I buy a Snoopy or whatever instead, can anyone please advise or share any knowledge about updating Road Angel (latest full version) via a Mac please? I guess all will be revealed on Monday but meanwhile I wonder if anyone can help. You know what it's like - I want it all and I want it now! (the late great Freddie Mercury).

169144-ok.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alan - We can't possibly both have non-res Millteks and TomToms! But, it seems to me that TomTom's primary function is SatNav and I actually have no interest in using SatNav (or Cruise!) at all - I just much prefer to look at printed maps because they have so much more extra info - For me it's not just about travelling from A to B but what you can take in on the journey; I can always afford to travel at my own pace.

Also it looks like a bit of a high lump whereas Road Angel is a low mass. I only want speed cameras and accident blackspots.

But I'm very grateful for your effort to help 169144-ok.gif

How about a Road Pilot? I have not used the Road Angel nor the Road Pilot, but from what I have read around, it only goes off when you are above the sped limit, unlike the road Angel which goes off everytime it pick up a signal. Road Pilot also comes with a laser detector, and in the event it became ilegal in the UK, it is apparently easy to remove that sensor. It is also a smaller device. Here is one installed on a DB9.

Mictro-pilot%20small.jpg

Road Pilot seems to have the same non-compatibility-with-Mac problems. If I have understood correctly it only alerts you AFTER you have exceeded the speed limit (and got captured!)....I would prefer a system which alerts me of the existence of a speed limit and cameras beforehand so that I can drive responsibly and keep within it. Road Angel also has a laser detector I understand.

Unfortunately your DB9 pic/image hasn't loaded (because I'm using Apple's Safari browser?!?)

[ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure that will work just fine (in fact that's exactly what I do!)

[/ QUOTE ]

....Thanks Sam - It seems an effective workaround and I have a trusted friend who uses a PC and is local.

I'll also report this workaround in the TSN General forum where others are also interested but have no solutions as yet.

Good one mate! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Road Pilot seems to have the same non-compatibility-with-Mac problems. If I have understood correctly it only alerts you AFTER you have exceeded the speed limit (and got captured!)....I would prefer a system which alerts me of the existence of a speed limit and cameras beforehand so that I can drive responsibly and keep within it. Road Angel also has a laser detector I understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about the Roadpilot's incompatibility with Macs but the Roadpilot does alert you and tell you the speed limit as soon as you are in range of a camera (or frequent mobile site) whether you are over the limit or not. If you are over the limit a voice will tell you the limit and to slow down

Thanks for the confirmation Aswell - I thought this was a more likely system of alert.

Summing up so far it seems that none of the alert systems support Macs but the workaround is to use a friend's PC to update data to your registered unit. Road Angel is still my favourite choice by a margin.

Yes, thanks 169144-ok.gif , I can now see it....But it's the last place I would want to position it! It's too far off the forward sight line to be safe in my opinion. It's where you look what's behind you!

Centred and forward in the junction between dashboard and windscreen, where it is in direct sight line of approaching (not too fast I hope!) roadside cameras, is the optimum position, surely?

Thanks for persevering 169144-ok.gif