Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewNiceMrMe

Selling your Mark V Golf GTi? Why?

26 posts in this topic

It's me. Me of the Golf GTi review fame. Infamous. Whatever.

Anyway guys, you all drive nice cars. The mark V Golf GTi is exactly that. However, I've been browsing the VW section tonight and was surprised to see a number of owners selling up or considering doing so after what amounts to a very short period of ownership.

So, can you please do me a favour? Tell me why. I genuinely want to know why. This feedback could be in the form of replies to the original M3Me's Golf GTi Review in the TSN Reviews section...or post your reply in here.

There are quite obviously a lot of contented owners on here too, but compared to other cars there do seem to be a good deal of people thinking of swapping after what is a very short period of ownership - and that intrigues me.

Has the car been beset with a glut of problems? Does it not live up to your expectation? Perhaps your circumstances have changed and the car isn't the family all-rounder that Top Gear made it out to be (something I questioned on the day I reviewed it).

This is genuine interest - so be honest in your feedback.

Cheers Chaps. 169144-ok.gif

Your avatar seems to have come out negative, Cantona should have a white shirt on.

Presume speculators are trying to sell them above what they paid for them. Nothing fundamentally wrong with them but they've been out 6 months and many people will change after that sort of interval. Who cares really

PS Why are you famous for a GTI review, are you Jeremy Clarkson?

With 12,508 posts you gotta be the genuine article!!

Could we keep the thread here please cos it's a lot easier to keep track of here and it is afterall a VW Golf GTI topic?

But you're Da Boss!

Cheers,

Robin

Here is the original review - with a now rather ridiculous, and frankly unbelievable and unmerited, view count that is approaching 8,000!!!!

The original Mk.V Golf GTi review

Let's not get into the review itself though - because I'm more keen on finding out why people are selling.

As for King Eric wearing white - he did until he used that shirt to wipe his rear.. 169144-ok.gif

Oh...and JC reviewed it AFTER me. Bloody amateur broadcaster. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Presume speculators are trying to sell them above what they paid for them. Nothing fundamentally wrong with them but they've been out 6 months and many people will change after that sort of interval. Who cares really.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the latter point first - I'm interested, so I care - so that's the purpose of the post. I thought I'd explained that already. smashfreakB.gif

On the first point - that's rather odd. Golf GTi's are depreciating like any other car, as the marketplace clearly shows (albeit slower). However, it is in the interest of any Golf GTi owner to know of any increase in used models becoming available. Nine times out of ten this will drive used values down, especially if information as to why they are selling up is propagated as being negative.

Anyone who made money, as a premium, on a Golf GTi is long gone. This isn't a car attracting a premium any longer - a quick glance on Autotrader or any other used car website demonstrates that.

Finally though, depreciation affects everyone, so what the hell. More to the point was the fact I simply want to know why those considering selling are doing so, or why those with ad's on TSN are selling.

Obviously various GTI sellers will answer for themselves individually. However, meanwhile the impression I get from this forum is that no-one I know of is actually dissatisfied with the Mk5 GTI but, if selling, it's because they aspire to something else bigger or faster or whatever. We'll see if my overview on this is correct or not as the responses get posted to this thread.

An interesting topic 169144-ok.gif

Nope, not selling and neither are any of the other mk5 GTI owners I know through meets etc. One minor electrical problem (rear wiper) that seems to be quite common but that's it problem-wise. You look at a dealer forecourt though and there's loads of cars for sale at age 6month-year - people who have the money often trade in and get something else, with any model, any brand of car.

RedRobin - my suspicion is that you may be correct. Circumstances change, hence my mentioning it in the initial post.

However, if there are any other (and not excluding a change of circumstances) reasons I'd be interested to know of them.

Oh, and if Sam_Dalton sees this thread - nice car. I said at the time of the initial review that the GTi in white looked a very special car indeed. It could be my aging memories of the original Mk.I's in white coming back to me with rose-tinted spectacles, but I still think it looks the part.

If I had the money I'd trade my car every 6 months, but I can't keep throwing money away on cars so I'm going to keep it 'til at least next year. It's a great car and is the perfect family all rounder (not quite sure why you would think it wasn't) but I get bored easily and, though the practicality has been a novel experience, I don't really need a family all rounder. I'll probably be in the queue for a Cayman as soon as I can get my hands on one for a test drive

Thanks MrMe smile.gif I think it really is one of the very few cars that looks good in white, I just couldn't pass it up smile.gif

I hope to keep my car for the next couple of years, but I am notoriously bad at keep cars for much more than a year. I know it makes no sense, and I end up losing out financially etc, but if I only worried about the financial aspect of car ownership I would drive some really dull cars.... FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I hope to keep my car for the next couple of years, but I am notoriously bad at keep cars for much more than a year. I know it makes no sense, and I end up losing out financially etc, but if I only worried about the financial aspect of car ownership I would drive some really dull cars.... FIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that! znaika.gif I have managed to keep my A3 for a year, the question is, will i make it to 2 wink.gif

The reason I didn't think it was the perfect family all rounder has various points within it.

They're all covered in the review though so I'll not repeat them in here. The over-riding point though was that I thought Clarkson got a bit carried away with himself (like he does for journalistic effect) and mis-described the actual space of the car.

Stood by it's 'competitors' it remains the best 'family' option by far and I'm pleased to note it's drivers haven't turned the car into another Chavic Type-R. Great car - ruined by drivers. The Golf does seem, by and large, to have found a more considered driver.

Apart from a few, very minor, niggles, you can put me in the "contented/not looking to make a fast buck" column SMOKE6.GIF

I almost sold mine earlier this year but then thought there was nothing better out there.

I will be looking at trading mine in for an EOS next year providing it's not too overpriced. Like my Golf GTi and I've been very impressed, I just love convertibles.

It's a beautiful looking car when clean though with them lovely 18" monza's.

I am selling as I have come from having convertibles and just miss open top motoring so I have a Boxster on order for Jan delivery + I never keep cars very long. The Gti is such a great all rounder and a huge leap forward from the Mk4 I really do rate the handling , engine and also economy. The only downside to ownership is that I find that the build quality is pretty poor say compared to Audi, I have had a number of items that needed sorting mainly rattles which have been rectified but should not be there in the 1st place. Most of the guys over on UK-MKIV's have been selling mainly due to financial circumstance, i've not seen any negative posts about the car.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that! znaika.gif I have managed to keep my A3 for a year, the question is, will i make it to 2 wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ello, ello, ello! They let you in here too do they? 169144-ok.gif

Anyway, remind me, who the hell are you? yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I am notoriously bad at keep cars for much more than a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No comment. jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

them lovely 18" monza's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, indeed. Per the original review - a top choice. I was impressed with them. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I am notoriously bad at keep cars for much more than a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No comment. jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by some of your posts I've seen, I'd bet that 6 months is a long time for you to keep a car. 169144-ok.gif

I managed 9 months each on the last two. Lodders is worse than I am. Lodders is much worse than I am.

VW are currently restricting the flow of UK spec and approved GTI's into the UK.

I negotiated myself a really good deal on an ex demo. If I had put it up for sale straight away on a well known Bay auction site, I might have made myself a Grand, or I might have been saddled with a car that I did not want.

Whilst VW GB see the car as a 'Brand leader' which is what the ex BMW boss Pi$$derrider wants, then residuals over the medium term will be superb?

Mrme i can see why you have so many posts! Why write one when you can write three in a row grin.gif

I do not think there are negative reasons why people would sell a gti.

Thanks spankit 169144-ok.gif That's what I think too - No strong negative reasons to sell.

I have to say that I don't personally understand people wanting to keep changing their car so quickly if they like it. It takes me a year just to feel 'at one' with a car. I wonder if these same guys change their girlfriends as quickly....It's like cars - a really good one grows even better! Or is it just a matter of maintaining an image? Look at me - I've got the latest/fastest/biggest! Each to their own I suppose. With that thought Nighty Night ZZZ.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Mrme i can see why you have so many posts! Why write one when you can write three in a row grin.gif

I do not think there are negative reasons why people would sell a gti.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that was very useful. yelrotflmao.gif

I have had mine since march and done 7000 miles in it, quite a bit considering I have been in the middle east for a good proportion of the time I have owned it, I have been considering selling it for a while, in July I went to a BMW dealership and came close to trading it in for a 330 sport cabriolet, at the time they offered me 20k with 5000 miles on the clock (a 2k loss). The reason I am considering selling it is that it has lost a certain amount of wow factor for me. I cant explain why exactly but that is just how it is, sometimes I go out in it and love it to pieces and other times I go out and feel I want something else. The BMW didnt quite do it for me either though, I liked it a lot but felt I could be in the same position as I am in now after a few months. At the moment I am tempted to hold off for a while as there are a couple of cars that could potentially appeal to me, the Cayman and the Z4 coupe.

As for the GTI, I have no negative points about it to be honest, it has lived up to my expectations and is lots of fun to own and drive, no regrets whatsoever.

I am sure that there are lots of GTI owners on here who will dispute the wow factor but at the end of the day we are all individuals and if we all liked the same things life would be pretty boring.