modifications to 2001 Jetta 1.8T

up_top0

Have you had a look at AMD technik? they will be able to advise you on performance gains and engine mods. just google amdtechnik.

out of interest why not do an ECU re-map? i had mine done at its seriously quick (passat 1.8T 20V sport)...its amazing how quick it is off the lights ..people faces just drop when they see how quick it is!)

what ever you do dont fit an atmospheric dump valve.. the vag engine would throw it into limp mode....if you really want a DV then fit a re-circ one. Also im guessing your engine would have an intercooler? you will need to give this consideration if you going for serious engine mods.

also im guessing that your not worried about ur fuel consumption then by wanting to fit cams, pulleys etc?

keep us posted mate,

P

Welcome to Tyresmoke.

I guess you mention Jetta that youre in the US?

One of the guys in the S3 forum I think has all the pullies and stuff done - Simon with the Yellow S3 - try asking for his opinion in there. If you are going to the trouble of having the engine appart it might be worth you considering uprated pistons, etc so you could look at running higher boost and more power. It should run pretty nice with all those changes.

Otherwise as posted above look into ECU remaps, depending upon the current turbo on your engien you could look at upgrading the Turbo giving more power.

As for exhausts, most of the reputable brands sound ok, but the problem with a turbo charged engine is that they are quieter anyway due to the recirculation and stuff going on.

yeah im in the US california to be exact. what is an ECU remap? im not troo technical in this stuff, but im trying to learn more and sup up my jetta. and with the turbo and trhe exhaust being quiet, i want it to be quiet, like the sound of a BMW or the euro sound, i dont like the loud ass noise. but if you guys find out more stuff post it on here for me and i will apporeciate it. thanks

California - Lucky so and so.

well a remap basically changes the parameter that govern the way the car works - so changes stuff like air and fuel settings, as an example my 1.8T TT - stock 225bhp went to 270bhp with remap alone - without all the additional stuff you mention. Remap will be the cheapest power gain you can get. www.amdtechnik.com did have US branches for remaps.

I am not sure of the exact spec of your engine but in the UK many of the 1.8Ts came with K03 turbo chargers, technically the max you would run from this is around 220bhp, with additional work and a new turbo (same spec as 225 TT and S3) you would be looking at 270ish and with bigger turbo again you would be looking at around 330bhp.

I remember some of the US tuners claiming conversions to iro 500bhp, but I guess this is loads of money.

AMD.

Dan, both the companies I linked to above offer a remap in your country, so I'd start there rather than searching a UK based company. The Jetta you have is called a Bora over here, so look for that instead. Prices will be in your currency and you'll be able to use their services. It's a long drive to England. 169144-ok.gif

Depending on which output your engine is (180 or 150 bhp) you'll get an increase of 35 or 45 bhp from Rocketchip, and Upsolute show only a 150 bhp model with 42 bhp increase.

Edit: Jeff at Rocketchip is highly regarded for tuning VW TDI's as is the guy at Upsolute whose name escapes me at the moment. They know their stuff. 169144-ok.gif

The 180 gains less because the manufacturers (VW) already got more out of it in the factory. 169144-ok.gif

If I was you, I'd call Jeff at Rocketchip. Maybe (if you're not near him) you can send him your ECU and he can chip it and ship it back. He's real good to deal with. But if he's anywhere near you, he's well worth talking to. I don't know him personally, but I hear a lot of good stuff about him.

so is upsolute a good make for ECU remaps they are $350. then it says that a Forge Diverter Valve for $185, a N75-H (Race) Valve for $89 and a Carbonio Carbon Fiber Intake Kit - MK4 1.8T for $239.95 are all related items to the ECU Reamp does tht mean recommended?. Does that sound like a right thing to do, to get all of that stuff? look at this site to see what i mean

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/catalog.php?pid=666&catid=217

You could bolt the same stuff onto a 150 1.8T and a 225 1.8T and you'd get a lot more power from the 225 1.8T because it uses different cams and a different ECU.

The Upsolute ECU is not directly available in the UK - you'll find most people on here have remaps from AmD, REVO, APR or Superchips.

If you give us a target BHP for your 1.8T and a budget, maybe we can provide some better advice.

beerchug.gif

Upsolute are well thought of in the States, just not particularly popular over here. The main reason is that the VW brand is an "import" for you, and is fairly small sales wise. So not much demand for tuning etc. but the few companies who've ventured into VW tuning are doing rather well. However, over here VW are big business, and everyone does tuning for them, including Upsolute. It's just that Upsolute are not very well known over here.

As far as tuning goes, If you're going to start bolting on bits and pieces, you really want to get it all done at the same time and then get the ECU chipped to suit your engine hardware. Getting it chipped first, then changing turbos and other parts will mean the remap won't suit the new hardware properly.

The guy / company who do the remap will have different stages for different setup on your engine. So ideally, they'd put your car on a dyno, see how it's performing, then devise a custom remap for optimum performance. If you then change some parameters, it'll all get mixed up. However, in the real world, tuners generally have 3 or 4 different stages of ecu remap / tune depending on the setup of the engine hardware. Some tuners will redo the mapping for you if you upgrade other parts (for a small fee) but you'll have to check with them.

Best idea, get it all done at the same time, with the guidance of the guy who's going to remap it for you. He'll know what works best with his software map etc.

The thing with VW 1.8T engines is that they have to have synthetic oil to VW spec. There's a big problem in the States with places like Jiffy Lube changing the oil and sticking in any old dino crap every 3000 miles. The oil change interval with the correct oil will be 10000 miles, and if your chosen car has had this done then it'll be fine. If not, and dino oil has been used, the oil sludges in the sump, oil pressure is lost, and the engine suffers long term damage. Even VW dealerships are not known for their knowledge of oils particularly well, and if you're buying second hand, you need to know what the service history is.

Extreme care taken checking things like this will save you loads of hassle later.

so even if i get the car with like 93,000 miles on it and get an oil change right after i get it wont help? is there anyway to cheak the history and is there anyway to get all the sludge out or get it cleaned ? would getting an oil change to better oilchange anything about that?

By the time the damage is done (thousands of miles with the wrong oil) the only cure is a rebuild of the engine.

If it's had dealer service, all the oil changes will be documented in the service history. You can check which oil was used by cross referencing the part number for the oil. I don't know what the part number is though, but the service manual will tell you what the oil weight and requirements are, then ask the dealer what part number the particular oil has. If all the service invoices show that part number, it's most likely ok. I'd stay clear of anything which has visited "Jiffy Lube" or any such places.

It's a well known issue and should be known by the dealerships. However, the quick lube places have little concern other than keeping you coming back every 3000 miles to line their pockets again.