Weight difference between 3 door, 5 door, man, DSG

Snoopy

I want to know becuase...

New Leon is 1367KGs and 185ps, GTi is 1900KGs and 200ps. (need to compare 5Drs as Leon doesn't come with 3dr version). Same platform, same under pinnings, etc etc etc, so essentially the same car under the body work.

So, only 15ps less, but 533kgs less. However, the Leon 0-60 is 7.8 and VW quote the GTi as 7.2 (non DSG in all cases).

Odd I think...... 533kgs and only 15ps difference would have thought they'd have been the same. Gearing maybe different but would have though its the same engine, box, etc only de-tuned for 'marketing' reasons!!

smile.gif

Hi Guys been lurking for some time and great place for info.

My GTI doesn't arrive until next year unfortunately, however the answer in the weight difference is already above - the weights qouted for the GTI are Gross Weights - the ones for the Leaon are unladen - hope this clears things up.

From the brochure - manual 1336kg DSG 1355kg no info ref 3/5 door. Cheers Martin

[ QUOTE ]

I don't want to come across as a d1ck because I don't know the answer either, but those weights can't be right they're too high, it should be something similar to the Leon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not a dick mate. 169144-ok.gif I thought it sounded heavy, so i googled and came up with this from 2 internet sources 1330 kg | 2932.7 lbs for a 3 door manual.

That sounds a lot better. 169144-ok.gif

The figures RedRobin quoted are gross vehicle weight (loaded)

Stranger Mikiew....I can only answer by referring you to what is printed in the Golf Mk5 GTI Handbook >> 3.3 Technical data >> page 8. As I wrote very clearly in my post these are "Gross Vehicle Weights". I have double checked the figures I wrote.

"Kerb Weight with driver" figures are also given but obviously as a range due to the unspecified weight of a human driver.

How can you justifiably state that the weights given by VW in print "can't be right they're too high"?

Quoted delivery Feb/Mar - there's a whole story behind that too!!

GTI brochure quotes unladen and gross weights for manual and DSG, and as Red Robin correctly says - he quoted Gross Vehicle weights (they check out in the brochure too). Most mags will quote unladen weights when comparing vehicles.

Welcome kazmart. I only quoted weights I had to hand in an effort to be helpful. To be honest it's not of much interest to me - I'm more interested in how the car I own and drive feels and not how another model compares. Such comparisons didn't enter into my decision to buy a GTI either. I test drove cars and followed my instincts for what felt most enjoyable and suitable for me and no-one else (Well almost, after the experience of my 2 door BMW my 14yo daughter told me we needed 5 instead of 3 doors and she was right!).

Going off topic but....Red - as an obviously happy DSG owner, one thing that I wanted on the test drive was that in S mode it would be nice if the kickdown was disabled and you could floor it in the gear you selected rather than dropping a cog or two. Does anyone know if this is possible, I suppose you could disable the switch under the throttle but this would affect D mode as well?