damaging a dsg gearbox

zoomx3

Does anyone know if it possible to damage a DSG gearbox? I have the feeling that it is unintentionally easy to do so eg.

1. going down a steep slope and flicking it down several gears too much causing over-revving (in panic for example)

2. or does the gearbox prevent shifting down to a gear which might red line the engine?

I accidentally did this (with the tacho hitting 4,000-5,000) . the 2.0 fsi turbo engine seemed so smooth that there was little engine braking. The hill was over 35 degrees.

i just thought about it more and it does seem at odds that, when going down a steep slope, even in a low gear, your foot is on the brake, even how occasionally, you're actually disengaging the gear. so there is no engine braking momentarily. am i correct on this?

Welcome zoomx3 - I frequently paddle down 3 gears to use engine braking down a very steep hill locally. First time I only changed down one gear at a time but now do so in quick succession from D-mode and then hold the OFF paddle when I want to immediately return to D-mode.

At times when you may prefer to use brakes, for example a less steep down hill, use the brakes in short but harder than usual stabs rather than gently braking all the way down hill (like many people do!) and heating up the brakes unnecessarily.

As Dan says, absolutely no need to worry....Now I have Millteks (Here he goes again!! Robin and his quads!!) I can hear how the engine is revving as well as, of course, see her dip and sometimes linger in the red zone - The engine sounds utterly healthy throughout.

The GTI is always eager and sings when you allow her engine to fly. She seems to accelerate better up hills than anywhere else - Totally awesome sometimes!

Obviously the only Golden Rule is to never open her up when her engine is cold. All ladies prefer to be warmed up first wink.gif

Just enjoy 169144-ok.gif

Modern engines aren't so good at engine braking because they don't pump fuel like older cars. Watch a cars instant MPG and it will show 0 when you are backing off. Its why modern cars are more fuel efficient but also are heavier on the brakes.

As for damaging the engine... Nahhh it will be fine if it got to the redline it would just change up anyway. 169144-ok.gif

Looks great in the bright Queensland sunshine! In addition to Sussex Steve's comments re rolling and towing - I understand that you should not depress the accelerator with the right foot and the left foot brake at the same time. Holding on hills that kind of thing.

Apart from those limitations it seems bullet proof.

yes AndyW, youre right, i just checked the manual and it does say something to the effect that dsg will not change down to a selected gear, if it overrevs the motor at that speed. CarMad, now i know why its like this -lack of engine braking, disconcerting at first, just have to adjust driving style.

i just thought about the amount of electronics (and how its integrated) on the gti while driving about 50kms in the rain on a highway near here last night. quite awesome.

[ QUOTE ]

i just thought about the amount of electronics (and how its integrated) on the gti while driving about 50kms in the rain on a highway near here last night. quite awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

....A perfect example of how excellent those automatic systems are is how on Sunday night I was driving along quite quickly and suddenly the windscreen wipers activated. I thought to myself 'I know I didn't touch the stalk' and the next second it was as if someone had thrown a large bucket of water on the screen!! It was, of course, a cloudburst and very heavy sudden downpour and the electronic systems had instantly catered for it. I slowed, the rain cleared after a mile or two and it all happened again a few miles further down the road - Just weather. I was very impressed! 169144-ok.gif

Similarly it's pretty cool that if raining and you select reverse, the rear wiper automatically comes on - Not that rear visibility is any good on the Mk5 anyway!!