DanAdams

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

I debadged my A4 whe I got it. Left the Quattro on the front. Back badges where glued on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thanks, but I'm looking for info on the mkV GTI specifically - it tends to vary from car to car. I'm hoping its just glued on but my mk2 i remember i had to fill and repsray rear valance after removing badges due to holes, and didn't want to start on the mkV unless I was sure. Anyone with a mkV got round to debadging yet?

It wasn't critism BTW and i meant both badges BTW.

I just don't understand what you'd gain.

anyway, they'd be glued, definately not drilled! 169144-ok.gif.

You'd be able to tell by gently pulling the badge away from the bodywork, there should be some spongy sticky stuff there.

If so, a hairdryer, a J cloth and a very small amount of white spirit should suffice!

BTW, I did it on a 316 BMW, that's how i know how to do it!

Yes, on the MkII they where not glued. I broke mine while trying to put my foot on the bumper to tie up my shoe lace, but the wine took its toll, and ended up hiting the badge with my foot, and broke it...

Incidenally, you can do what I did with my A4, which was to push the badge firmly with my fingers. It it comes off, its glued, if it doesnt, then its not. Migh t be wise to wait for someone who actually knows though...

[ QUOTE ]

I'm told that hot water will remove the rear GTI badge. You going to remove the VW badges too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, just gti badges front and rear.

[ QUOTE ]

Each to their own yet again!! But why? Oh why? Aren't you proud of driving a GTI? Like LeMan I just don't understand why....Would you care to enlighten us?

[/ QUOTE ]

My mk2 is completely debadged - no vw symbol or badges front or rear. Bu the mkV I'm not truly debadging - removing the existing badging to rplace it with something else. I just can't avoid modifying my cars, no matter how slightly, so I know its slightly different to all the others :-)

Hi Dan - Thanks for telling us - I can relate to your wish to individualise your car. Debadging isn't my 'bag' but I have to admit I saw some pics on the web of a German guy's Mk5 GTI in United Grey who had totally debadged and also everything was colour coded....It did look very good. I've been trying to find the pics again to post them here for you but no luck so far.

[ QUOTE ]

Debadging seems to me to be the automotive equivalent of a "Brazilian". Intriguing at first, then you think "Would I really want one of those?" In my case, the answer is "No!".

[/ QUOTE ]

I would debadge a 1.4, a 1.6, the lesser models, not a gti imho. As to the above quote I always have my higher end models debadged (brazilian), but wouldn't bother with the lower end models. wink.gif

By taking the view that the "correct" place for the GTI badge is the same side as the earlier GTi versions you are stuck in the past. Logically I expect that there are other "correct" features which the Mk5 GTI has ignored. The Mk5 pays homage to its ancestry but isn't a replica thank goodness!! Automotive engineering continues to evolve and must be allowed to improve and the Mk5 has every right to its own identity.

[ QUOTE ]

By taking the view that the "correct" place for the GTI badge is the same side as the earlier GTi versions you are stuck in the past. Logically I expect that there are other "correct" features which the Mk5 GTI has ignored. The Mk5 pays homage to its ancestry but isn't a replica thank goodness!! Automotive engineering continues to evolve and must be allowed to improve and the Mk5 has every right to its own identity.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh, good point, but the badge is still on the wrong side! grin.gif