Running in

scook66

I just rang the stealers and they said my car will be delivered to them tomorrow - I'm so excited. Hopefully I will driving it by late next week. My reason for this post is to ask what would be the top speeds to safely run in this car? I am going on a 400 mile round trip soon after getting the car and will involve alot of motorway driving. I know there is an argument to say that the car doesn't need running in but I want to play safe as I am keeping this car for quite a while.

Any thought?

if you do chose to run it in, and do a motorway trip do vary the engine speed , rather than run in at one set speed.

I set a limit of 3500 revs for first 300 then 4000 for next 400 , then gradually increase, u can easily get to 80 plus in 6th within those.

After the 250 mile motorway stint, the next 250 miles was in urban and extra urban conditions. So included a variety of engine speeds. Also some off the lights to 4000 rpm through the gears, every now and again. maybe to 4500-5000 once or twice, all in drive. After 600 miles started to play with manual dsg mode and paddles to 5000-5500rpm, great gear box. jump.gif169144-ok.gif

I kept it to less than 3,500 revs and 100 top speed for first 1,000 miles. DSG D-mode made this very easy to do. I now know that my 100 limit on the clock was a true speed of about 88 (GPS). I then started to use S-mode and find it behaves very intelligently when driving hard through tight twisties. I'm still not using the paddles as much as I thought I would - Yet!

Always let the engine warm up before having fun, even after run in. And the turbo calm down afterwards before switching off the ignition.

I did the same, took it easy with no red line stuff for the first 1000 miles. Like Robin I used "D" mode mostly which kept the revs under control except for the one time I had put it in manual and forgot and hit the red line before the DSG changed blush.gif, think I had about 800 miles on it by then so not too worried.

I find myself using Manual about 70% off the time now, it is just so much fun with the paddles. It also means I am always in the gear I want to be in.

[ QUOTE ]

I find myself using Manual about 70% off the time now, it is just so much fun with the paddles. It also means I am always in the gear I want to be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, any excuse to put it in manual, love engine braking with the paddles, going into a roundabout and paddle down to exit in the right gear. Also tend to be looking at the rev counter rather than the speedo, and use the boing boing to let me know when i hit the speed limit + 15 mph. 169144-ok.gif

bit of a stupid quesiton - but as a driving technique is it better/safer to use engine braking for things like approaching a roundabout, rather than the brakes?!

being of the lazy disposition, i tend to flick out of gear in my manual and coast until I can be arsed to find which gear I'd like! znaika.gif

doesn't relying on the engine to slow the car put too heavy a burden on the engine, when that's what the breaks are designed to do?