Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drillslinger

'92 520i troubleshooting.

5 posts in this topic

I have a coworker who's '92 520i has started blowing white smoke, our initial thought was a blown head gasket, but this guys just spent 1100 Euros ( ooo.gif ) getting the gasket replaced, to no avail. Now he's overheating due to water (coolant) loss. The only other thing that we can think of is a crack in the head, but he's not getting any coolant in his or, nor any oil in the coolant smashfreakB.gif But it still appears that he's getting water in the cylinders as his spark plugs are coming out clean smashfreakB.gif

This guys pretty fed up with it, and he's feeling like the last mechanic screwed him (and I agree, 1100 Euros for a head gasket replacement confused.gifooo.gif) But I told him I'd ask to see if someone here might have an idea what to look for.

Thanks,

beerchug.gif

Are you sure its not oil being burnt off.....BMW's tend to wear valve stem oil seals and sometimes valve guides.

OMFG shocked.gif A response, and only 3 WEEKS after I asked smashfreakB.gif

Anyway, thanks Rich, I'll ask Dude if he's looked into this.

beerchug.gif

Nope, he's leaking more coolant than oil, and it's sporadic at that. He can't locate the coolant leak. It mainly leaks overnight, and he has not noticed any coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant confused.gif

Thx for the help beerchug.gif