Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest slittley

Noisy 2.0 TDI

11 posts in this topic

Took delivery of a new A3 2.0 TDI Sport at the beginning of September. The engine seems noticeably noisier than the two cars I test drove three months ago, especially when I'm driving at speeds less than 40mph when the engine sounds a bit rough. The dealership told me that it will get quieter as the engine runs in. I've done 1000 miles so far and am wondering if it really will get quieter.

Any ideas/comments? Do diesel engines really get quieter with mileage?

Cheers,

Steve

Firsly Welcome to TSN. 169144-ok.gif

Well they are never quiet. Its the reason I got the 2.0 T FSI even though it costs me loads more in tax.

Check the oil level as when I had my 2.5 Quattro it got noisier when it was low on oil. It should get a little quieter but not that much.

Did you test drive the same level as car that you bought ? Only reason I ask is that maybe they don't fit so much insulation on base models as some higher in the range. Other manufacturers do the same, maybe Audi do...

My TDI drank oil for the first 12,000 miles, I put in approx 4-5 litres during that period, so be sure to keep a regular check on the oil level and make sure the bottle in the boot is topped up.

I'm now on 20,000 miles and don't think I've topped it up since, although it has had a service.

Hello and thanks for your comments.

The two cars I test drove were (1) 2.0 TDI SE and (2) 2.0 TDI S-Line DSG. Both of these cars (from memory) sounded quieter than my 2.0 TDI Sport but maybe I wasn't concentrating enough on the noise when I did the test drives.

Although my car sounds fine at motorway speeds and gives the performance levels normally associated with petrol turbo engines (at speeds > 40mph), the around town noise is very noticeable and sounds unrefined. I have only just purchased this car, but I think I may end up trading it in for a 2.0T version early next year even though I have been getting around 50 mpg with the diesel.

As an aside, my car is currently back at the dealer (after just 3 weeks from new) for replacement of the turbo (generated excessive resonance whistle noise at low revs) and for a replacement steering rack (made crunching noise on high levels of lock). I'm making do with the 1.6 loan car I have been given for the time being. And God is it sluggish!

Steve

Welcome to TSN Steve!

Sounds like you've had your fair share of problems. I've not heard any excessive noise with my A4 2.0TDI S-Line....

I had a 2.0TDI for a test drive for an hour and returned it after 15mins because it sounded like a tractor...

My TDI only sounds like a tractor at low speeds, mainly if you have the window down. At speeds higher than 40 you can't really tell it's diesel.

Same here mine is noisy when cold, or at low speed, but after that its fine...Its the first deisel i have ever owned so i dont really have a comparison

I have been told that the more powerfull the TDi is the noiser it gets ie. a 90hp is quieter than my 140hp S-Line, my Dad recently bought a Peugeot 307 and we drove both a 90 and a 110 and the 110 was noticeably noisier?

I would agree with last few comments noisy at low speeds but once over 40 I find that the tyre noise drowns out everything - in fact the tyre noise is a real problem for me, I find my ears ringing for some time after any trip over an hour.

Interesting to see the oil consumption mentioned just been touring round Dorset and the oil check light came on again - I have now put 1.75 litres in 9500 miles and at £14 a litre its probably cancelled out any petrol savings and I don't thrash it either!