Can you fit a Lupo GTi 6 spd box onto a Polo GTi?

yetimungrel

Hi there all.

I have a 2000 Polo GTi on which the gearbox is starting to go all notchy and reverse engages with a terrible cccccccccccccccccccccKLUNK noise.

I know the Lupo GTi has the same engine and also comes with a 6 speed gearbox. Is it possible to fit a 6 speed Lupo gearbox straight onto my Polo? Any help greatly appreciated. pengy.gif

It's the bad tooth for the Polo GTI, they are all dodgy. I contemplated changing the box on my Polo GTI but the benefits just weren't great enough, if you use the search you should be able to dig up all my old posts on it. Some quite detailed on what needs to be done

Romour has it that fitting a Sachs clutch makes things much nicer indeed. Costly though...

Alternatively:

[ QUOTE ]

Well, I looked further into the dynamics and mechanics of the Polo GTI manual (non-hydraulic) clutch and finally I have found the cause of the judder under foot and the apparent tightness of the clutch when the pedal is depressed.

The issue is not at the pedal end - its at the locking nuts end!

When a new clutch cable is fitted or it's re-tightened (after Pedal Box refit), the tightening of the lock nuts twists the cable inside the cable shroud - this causes it to stick, graunch and give the clutch pedal a bad feel.

Here's what you need to do.

1. Loosen off the locking nuts to the end of the cable end (engine side)

2. Push down lightly and turn the Black tippee shaped stopper underneath the nuts at least twice anti-clockwise. You will eventually feel the inner metal cable turning, and hear it turn at the pedal end too.

3. Push down the Black tippee shaped stopper so it cannot move under the nuts.

4. Pull the cable end towards you to draw up the slack.

5. With the Black tippee shaped stopper held in place, turn the locking nuts down with your fingers, whilst pulling the cable tightly towards you - important.

6. When the first 13mm nut is down, the spring will need to compress fully.

7. Hold the cable end and wind off the 13mm nut one turn with your fingers. The spring will still be quite compressed, but this does not matter.

8. Tighten up the 10mm lock nut onto the 13mm nut to lock it.

9. Start the engine. Note the pedal will move only very slightly downwards underfoot when you rest your foot on it.

10. Check the clutch operation as it's fully depressed.

If you follow this, your clutch will now be smooth all the way to the floor like mine, no graunching, no sticking, no judder; just smooth operation to the floor and back again.

That'll give you all something to do over the weekend won't it!

[/ QUOTE ]

^^ courtesy of "morrismen" on the UK Polo forum, I thought it might be of some interest smile.gif

Cheers

Perfect. I will try this myself tonight. I do find it wierd how our cars don't have a hydraulic clutch. Also, know anybody who will recondition wheels at competitive prices. I love my standard vw rimsbut they are a little worse for wear, so need them neatening up but don't want to spend £100 per wheel because I might as well buy some Keskin KT-5's

Ah, the rims frown.gif

Mine need refurbishing too, it would be worth calling round a few places to see if you can get a decent price - the cost is down to the fact that the GTi's standard rims are split-rim, so have to be split apart before refurbishment and bolted back together thereafter. My last quote was £75 per alloy in the finish of my choice and a polished rim, from A1 Renovations in Wolverhampton.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

Ah, the rims frown.gif

Mine need refurbishing too, it would be worth calling round a few places to see if you can get a decent price - the cost is down to the fact that the GTi's standard rims are split-rim, so have to be split apart before refurbishment and bolted back together thereafter. My last quote was £75 per alloy in the finish of my choice and a polished rim, from A1 Renovations in Wolverhampton.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

A1 do a cracking job as well 169144-ok.gif

• 1 month later...

Feck frown.gif

I've got a B&M short-shift kit under my bed waiting to go onto my Polo in June next year (long story), d'ya reckon it might improve the loose feel, notchiness and lengthy throw (IMO) on the 'box? grin.gif

I nearly sold it but no-one was interested, so it will be fitted in due course 169144-ok.gif

The kit from JBS?

I was wanting one, but no one was intrested in a Lupo group buy so I didnt bother.

Not paying full price!

Ive not tried the Polo gearbox, but like the feel of the Lupo box, reverse gear has always been a pain unless you are stood completly still before attemoting to select it.

Think most VW suffer from this at the moment frown.gif

Yup, it came from JBS as part of the Group Buy that was organised some time ago. Reverse is a complete pain in the arse on the Polo it must be said, I sometimes have trouble just getting it to engage! One of our illustrious Polo forum members once describes it as "like a spoon in a bucket of marbles" yelrotflmao.gif

As it happens, yes I have! The self-adjuster on the clutch cable snapped on the last day of the warranty in August '04, so I had a new clutch cable under warranty around 14 months ago. Got to admit, I didn't notice a real difference between the old cable and the new confused.gif but it definitely has been done...

The gearbox is giving me real trouble with reverse sometimes though, but only about 2 or 3 times in every 10 really. It just refuses to engage at all, I can only manage to get the reversing light on and it won't snick into place like usual. The fix is to put the car in first and roll forward an inch or two then try again, and reverse will be perfect again crazy.gif

Spoke to a techie at VW and he reckons that adjusting the gear linkages won't be much good because the forward gears are fine, and really the only thing they can do is take a look (chargeable, of course) and, worst case scenario, strip and rebuild the 'box (not gonna happen when it's likely to be 8 hours work @ £65 per hour). So I'll keep an eye on things and se eif the problem either, (a) worsens, or (b) mysteriously disappears over time grin.gif

That's unfortunate, mine had similar problems, but I had the pedal box sorted and got the clutch cable done at the same time, it turned out kinked when removed due to the faulty pedal box and after that reverse wasn't an issue because the clutch cable was in full effect.

Unlucky, just buy the new one next year 169144-ok.gifgrin.gif