dimma02

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

I had my steering rack replaced about a month ago, all was fine (or so i thought), but yesterday i noticed a slight tapping noise when manouvering at slow speeds (different noise than before). I think another trip to the dealers is required mad.gif. Anyone else with a replaced rack notice anything? 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i noticed a slight tapping noise when manouvering at slow speeds

[/ QUOTE ]

have been through similar with my .:R dazdot - the car has the "late version" of the rack fitted. Only noticable at very low speeds - mostly at junctions when pulling out. On mine this can be clearly felt through the steering wheel and left footrest, but does not happen all the time.

Have had the car fully checked a few times but nothing found.

Can you describe the problem on yours in a bit more detail ?

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Can you describe the problem on yours in a bit more detail ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens when either forwards or reverse at slow speeds, turning left i can hear/feel a slight tap tap tap as i turn the wheels (before my rack was replaced, it was more a grinding noise). It seems to be coming from the drivers side and only noticed it these last few days. 169144-ok.gif

am beginning to wonder if this is a "feature" of the electric motor that has replaced the steering pump on these cars. Not sure why an electric component would produce a regular tap-tap-tap noise though so perhaps this is a wrong assumption.

interesting that on yours it's when turning left. Mine is more noticable with right-lock on when stationary confused.gif

I think there're 2 different problems here. (sorry, have not read thru all the previous posts). the tapping noise is the fault of the steering rack but the grinding noise, IMO is the fault of the front shock absorber bearings. My car has the grinding noise and i'm waiting for my replacement bearings.