A6 AvantQuattro droning coming from somewhere

charlie61

I have a drone coming from somewhere, it sounds like it's coming from the transmission/diff or back of the car but it's hard to pinpoint, I had it serviced when I bought it, I don't use the stealers I use a mechanic i've trusted for years, he changed the gearbox and axle fluids as part of the service, it's a 200 yr with a manual box and has done 80k with FASH.

Are audi boxes or axles known to have problems at this low mileage, he replaced the NSR wheel bearing as it looked dry as he'd never had a transmission problem on an audi this new before but it made no difference UHOH7.GIF

• 8 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

Only thing I can think of, is the rear diff, or at worst, the Quattro diff..........

What happens when you go around a corner? does the sound change, when under throttle?

And, does the 4wd bit work OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

It gets louder when the car is fully loaded, ie wife kids shopping, 4WD is permanent so I presume it either works or you call the AA suicide.gif so it must be OK UHOH7.GIF

if it's the quattro drive(whatever that is) it sounds expensive so it may be PX time fekr.gif