Tints on a 5 door black GTI

martininwillerby

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion for what it's worth:

The decision is worse for a 5 door because with the 3dr there already is a visual separation in the side view of the car (think 'van' to better understand me) and you can get away with a bigger difference.

The greater the tint % difference between windows, the worse it will look imo.

Because the rear seating space seems already darker due to higher window cills, are you sure you want to subject your passengers to more darkness?

Has your neck of the woods suddenly become that much sunnier and brighter or are people staring at you too much? Or do you just fancy the effect? - I'm just being curious.

Have to say I don't like rear sides tinted darker than fronts, but the law now is that the front sides can't be tinted at all (well they can, but the standard tint in the windows is already up to the limit) so I assume this is why people are going for rear only. Personally I don't like the way tints look and that this should be left for when the chav contingency get hold of the cars in 5 yrs time along with the blue leds in the washer jets

[ QUOTE ]

Have to say I don't like rear sides tinted darker than fronts, but the law now is that the front sides can't be tinted at all (well they can, but the standard tint in the windows is already up to the limit) so I assume this is why people are going for rear only. Personally I don't like the way tints look and that this should be left for when the chav contingency get hold of the cars in 5 yrs time along with the blue leds in the washer jets

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite the standard tinted glass is anything fro 8% to 15% depending on the car, not sure what VW is but if you reckon on 10% you have about a 20% tint to play with. Not much and most reckon its not worth it, but I've seen cars with a very light Supa Glass tint (within legal limits) and it looks pretty good so long as the colour of your car compliments the tint.

I reckon that a Black Gti would suit a very subtle tint!!

smile.gif

For once I totally agree with Aswall (Our differences are never 'heavy' and we each have respect for each other's opinions which is something 99% of us here have).

Hey Aswall, I reckon you've got a pet hate for blue leds in the washer jets - That's the second time you've mentioned it!

[ QUOTE ]

For once I totally agree with Aswall (Our differences are never 'heavy' and we each have respect for each other's opinions which is something 99% of us here have).

Hey Aswall, I reckon you've got a pet hate for blue leds in the washer jets - That's the second time you've mentioned it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, didn't realise that lol.gif I think you're right!

Sixdegrees - the GTI tint is up to the 80% LTF legal limit

Hi all...A good friend of mine has just taken delivery of a silver A6 and he has had his windows tinted.Dark on the rear window and rear sides but the lightest on the fronts...(rear been one step darker 50%)The bloke said that 20% plus the factory tints just take it over the limit...On a big car like that the difference isn't visible plus the car is silver....I'll be going round to see him soon so i'll have another look then.

We have LTF meters at work and measured our cars. Mine came out at 81.6%LTF leaving 1.4% before going over the limit. Slightly worryingly, the Merc standard tint (Avantgarde blue) came out at 77.1% LTF meaning that it was already illegal. Luckily your average plod doesn't carry any such equipment and has to go by eye (tints always look darker on a light coloured car) but MOT stations either have them or will do soon

[ QUOTE ]

...and therefore the GTi must have quite tinted glass from factory!! wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's right. The factory glass is quite subtle in appearance and is the same blue as high grade conservatory glazing. On the hottest days this Summer (in the UK South West) I and my passenger felt very comfortable and even remarked on how effective the GTI's glass is.

This is just my opinion but extra tinting the windows is similar to blue leds in the washers! Yes, I know! I've got a top graded blue windscreen:

558476-BlueTintInside.JPG

post-10081-137914327216_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Not if it's Pentagon Supaglass! With car jackings on the increase I'm seriously thinking of it, expensive but impressively secure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, what the hell would tints do against a car jacking? If car jackers want your car, they'll take it, whether by ramming it, following you home, or sitting at a petrol station!

been today to see about tints..looks like i'll be getting 50%(lightest) all round anything darker on the backs/rear will make the car too dark and BLINNNNNNNG looking.....

talking about BLINNNNNG have a gander at this

http://www.golf5gti.net/galerie/101_1_Kopie%20(2)%20von%20Jetta%20Front%20Side.JPG

http://www.golf5gti.net/galerie/101_2_Kopie%20(2)%20von%20Golf%20GTI.JPG

http://www.golf5gti.net/galerie/101_8_Kopie%20von%20Barracuda.JPG

http://www.golf5gti.net/galerie/101_4_Kopie%20von%20Jetta%20Front.JPG

Sorry about the links but i don't know how the paste pic's into reply's....

martin

Hi Martin....On my Mac I'm able to translate the site into English by this workaround:

Write < http://www.golf5gti.net/ > (without the < >) in the Search (Google on mine) box of your browser and then it should ask you if you want to translate and you go on from there like wot I'm gonna do now. Translation will be very amusing in parts! ....Did you know we all drive Gulf GTIs?

I just couldn't resist sharing this!....

"Driving fun in series. The gulf GTI is made to convert its strength optimally in driving fun. It is in series equipped with a 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe and a GTI Sportfahrwerk lowered around 15 millimeters. The desired Agilitaet and a road-hugging property in all situations guarantees perfect."

- Automatically translated from the German web site.