tyre pressures

zoomx3

since most of us will be or would have been, i take it, driving new cars delivered fresh from the dealer, i am willing to bet most of the tyre pressures on our gti's would be way wrong initially. mine were over inflated by as much 30%. it makes a big difference especially driving fast on a freeway as i discovered only day before yesterday. i had driven close to a thousand k's on them by then, unfortunately. according to the fuel flap,the recommended is 230/210 metric(front/back) which translates to 33.36/30.45 psi's. i rounded them up to 34/31 (front/back) with a gauge i just bought (accu-gage). :-) then took it out for another spin and whoooo, it rides and handles much better

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Continentals on 06 spec built 11 July and delivered 6 August:

Unloaded: 2.4 Bar = 34.8 Psi all round.

Loaded: 2.6 Bar = 37.7 Psi fronts and 3.0 Bar = 43.5 Psi rears.

This is as fuel flap label and it also says 98RON on another label. Seems silly to ignore imo.

Can anyone with Bridgestones or any other tyres please post what their fuel flap label states please.

....I thought so too and I even went to have another look! However the 43.5 Psi is for a full load of 5 people plus luggage or similar combination. The stowage space is quite substantial especially with the back seats flat(-ish!).

I'm gonna make the 34.8 into a 35 Psi all round to keep it simpler.

Mine is identical to Robin's, certainly on unloaded anyway. Also on Continental's. Also delivered to the dealer early August - probably on the same boat.

From my biking days I've learnt how much difference that tyre pressures can make to ride and handling. I'd also point out that it's worth having more than one pressure guage to test with as they can vary. I have an electronic one which from testing always reads lower than the real pressure.

I'm actually into both forms of biking, though must confess that I'm enjoying the mountain bike more these days. I sold the R6 last weekend, which just leaves my old RGV250.

I was referring to the motorbikes though. The R6 was really hard to ride with even slightly over inflated tyres. Once you found the sweet spot it gave a lot more confidence to throw it into a bend.

150psi on 15mm sounds painful if you hit the slightest dent in the road SAUER0421.GIF . I expect that took a while for the rear end to get used to !

Still loving the GTI thanks. She's run in now (about 1500 miles) and seems to enjoy being treated less gently. I'm doing more miles in manual mode with the paddles, though it's still nice to switch back into D on the regular commute through traffic. Definitely still a Wow!

Yep, was certainly better on smoother roads but wearing lycra with good inserts around the groin area plus modern saddles resulted in surprisingly good comfort. The saddle to flat down pedal measurement is the key to comfort and pedalling efficiency. This would be so on any pedal bike.

I'm at 2,600 miles now and still haven't got into the paddles fully yet - Just in and out for short periods. I'm using DSG S-mode increasingly but only as appropriate. I'll get there eventually with the paddles after I've explored S a bit more - Such fun!! 169144-ok.gif .

Martin, are you on Continentals too?

I just drove down to the local air pump and found that all four tyres were 30 Psi after 2,600 miles. IIRC the dealer said at collection time that they were all 30. They are all 35 Psi now and it took me half-an-hour cos I volunteered to change a lady's wheel (puncture) on a tiny Daihatsu. She was panicking and was parked on the air pump bay! No, she wasn't pretty!! That's my good deed for the day done!