Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wanderinghand

I hope this doesn't happen when my GTI arrrives!

22 posts in this topic

Poor bloke at work. Yesterday was reversing his new SLK into a parking space. The power eteering failed as the hydraulic pipe snapped, spraying fluid all over the hot engine and resulting in this:

I really hope that doesn't happen when the new GTI arrives!

560979-Image017.jpg

post-11333-137914327633_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

I really hope that doesn't happen when the new GTI arrives!

[/ QUOTE ]

....Just think positive!

What a bummer!!

Look on the bright side, 12 months for a replacement, only 3-6 months for a new GTi !

[ QUOTE ]

Poor bloke at work. Yesterday was reversing his new SLK into a parking space. The power eteering failed as the hydraulic pipe snapped, spraying fluid all over the hot engine and resulting in this:

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that's what happened or is that just your guess? I'm pretty sure that power steering fluid (whilst admittedly nasty, toxic stuff) isn't actually flammable.

Dan

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that power steering fluid (whilst admittedly nasty, toxic stuff) isn't actually flammable.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

....So who's going to volunteer to test its inflammability? FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that's what happened or is that just your guess? I'm pretty sure that power steering fluid (whilst admittedly nasty, toxic stuff) isn't actually flammable.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea.. i probably agree with that.. it's more likley to be fuel escaping somewhere.. faulty fuel line or injectors.. something like that.

Yes mate.. was magic, but now, alas, gone frown.gif

Still, better things on the horizon.. blooming long horizon thought crazy.gifcool.gif

Ah but RS4 V8 is an absolute killer!! Probably what I would be interested in if I needed a bigger saloon. Got to be worth the wait! 169144-ok.gif

brake fluid is high flamable, so it's quite possible power steering fluuid is too,

Golf V don't have Power steering fluid so no worry there (electric mechanical power steering) and brake fluid / Power steering fluid is not flammable but boiled battery acid is explosive and pressurised fuel sprayed on to a hot exhaust manifold can make a huge flame

brake fluid IS flammable, there was a spate of fluid resevoir seal failures on cars a few years back, and it does catch fire.

I suggest the fireman (the one seen smirking on the picture) put 2 and 2 together about the power steering failing a couple of seconds before the fire started. Seemed logical to me, too.

But I'm not up for testing it!!