So close

Brabus

Had a Mini Cooper S as a courtesy car once, only cos I refused to get in a 1 series. I really enjoyed having it for a week and it is certainly a car with a bit of poke.

Would love to have a drive of the Works though, havent seen one around this neck of the woods yet.

My dad was very close to doing the same (not that he drives a CSL) but when he drove a cooper works he raved about it.. in fact he's a big car person.. mercs actually, but this blew him away...

I think he decided not because of the size, but i think he might get my mum one.

(I'm hoping my old man gets a DB9.. he's almost there.. drove one last week and it's all he talks about.. bless him grin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

To chopping in the CSL and getting a Mini Cooper S works.

Good idea or not? UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didn't have a CSL and you were talking about chopping another more mundane car for it,then the answer would be yes.

To get rid of the M3 for it just seems like a big step backwards.

It's quick for a Mini(then it should be with 200 brake or whatever the figure is)but it would get mashed by the BMW in every respect,performance,handling,driver involvement etc.

IMO stick with what you've got! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Should have perhaps mentioned that I need to flog the CSL and get something smaller and cheaper.

Another option is the Renault Clio Trophy.

I think I prefer the interior quality of the mini more even if the Clio is chuffing good. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking to do the same Chris, and keep stumbling over the same hurdle. Have taken a Clio 182 sport out on a long (90 mins) test drive & had loads of fun, but when it comes down to it, I didn't like the build quality, and although at times we were giving it beans, it never really felt as involved as I'd hoped. All the toys are included on the 182 over here, more so than the R32, which is why I thought it would be a solution, but then I took a MCS out, sorry, the MCS wins hands down IMO. Ok, so they are quite a bit more, but there are plenty of used ones out there - possibly too many to choose with all the options available - but you should be able to get one to meet your spec. Newer '04 cars (I could be worng here) are slightly more powerful with 170bhp over 164 iirc.

I'd say do it.

No joys on the other options then?

EDIT: Dope, just read the S Works bit!! I'd say a definate yes over the Clio in that case.

Ok had a 53 reg Cooper S for a few weeks while my car was being fixed by the insurers.

1st week, for novelty value-wise it blew me away and I loved it. Seeing people looking at me thinking how can a 'new' Mini do that! Excellent!

2nd week, THAT rattle, rear parcel shelf and run flat tyres do not go well together, especially on our roads, guess a well known fix can be done for this but poor design IMHO.

3rd week, colder AM starting and the Mini is all of a judder, even worse than my current Peugeot! Gave a work colleague a lift back to work after footy and we agreed that the interior is a little girly too.

Personally if you can borrow one on a regular basis then go for it otherwise if you are gonna buy then go 'ardcore' and get the 21k proper 'works' job. Only Mini I would buy anyhow. All IMHO of course.

Cheers

I know, spotted that hence the edit. Have driven a MCSW, but the one I drove was a shed of a car. Fully spec'd up, ex demo (they called it the sales managers car!) but falling apart at the seams. Though many people have said that this really did surprise them.

As for the drivability of the car. I liked it very much. Are they quite rare in Switzerland? IE hard to get a demo drive in one?

[ QUOTE ]

Ok had a 53 reg Cooper S for a few weeks while my car was being fixed by the insurers.

1st week, for novelty value-wise it blew me away and I loved it. Seeing people looking at me thinking how can a 'new' Mini do that! Excellent!

2nd week, THAT rattle, rear parcel shelf and run flat tyres do not go well together, especially on our roads, guess a well known fix can be done for this but poor design IMHO.

3rd week, colder AM starting and the Mini is all of a judder, even worse than my current Peugeot! Gave a work colleague a lift back to work after footy and we agreed that the interior is a little girly too.

Personally if you can borrow one on a regular basis then go for it otherwise if you are gonna buy then go 'ardcore' and get the 21k proper 'works' job. Only Mini I would buy anyhow. All IMHO of course.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that Chad, interesting reading.

Hmmmm. See if I can get hold of one to test drive. coffee.gif