Diesel help please

clarksmc

I'm new here, glad I found you folks. Now for the questions to the experts. I have an 02 Gulf but I am looking to buy a Polo diesel 4 door classic for my wife. I've never owned a diesel car and know little about them. I will be looking in the 98 to 2000 range. Can someone clue me in as to engine sizes, HP rating and things to be aware of? Are the turbos problematic or do they run fairly trouble free? I'm in Buenos Aires so the cars here tend to see some really hard city driving and not so much freeway action. Any advice is helpful.

Thank you.

The engine choices you'll have will be 1.9 SDI (no turbo) with about 70bhp, 1.9 TDI with 90bhp, and possibly 1.4 TDI (don't know the bhp).

The SDI doesn't really have much going for it other than there's no turbo to go wrong. The 1.9 TDI is a good unit and not much to go wrong really. It's a heavy engine though and can be a bit clattery. The 1.4 TDI is a three cylinder, but I don't know whether you'll have access to these or not.

Make sure you get one with full service history, and that it's had synthetic oil all its life. If not, it'll be trouble. 169144-ok.gif