simkna

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

that remote looks almost more difficult to get to than the touch screen itself! certainly must be fiddly?

[/ QUOTE ]

The remote is a waste of time and space (as already said) but the touch screen is not at all difficult to reach or operate. The touch 'buttons'/pads are large (I must take and post pics) and some functions can be activated by touching anywhere on the screen. UI or User Interface is one of my specialities and Pioneer have done a very good job on the screen imo.

Here is another pic - again not well lit as a photo....

SatNavAudio.jpg

Andy, I don't really know what I'm talking about here but the DVD player (for the SatNav disk) is under the front seat but I had the choice of fitting it with the head unit. I would only use the AVIC-800DVD to change Nav disk every couple of years!

Though it doesn't look very pretty, the open storage slot for CD cases is extremely useful and is angled well down so they don't spill out under hard acceleration.

Is the double din fascia adapter quezzie something I should ask my soundguy for you?

[ QUOTE ]

Is the double din fascia adapter quezzie something I should ask my soundguy for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be cool if you could. I will eventually be putting one of the Kenwood DDX units in, which is 2Din. I've seen lots of fascia adapters for the golf like yours, but none to allow the install of a 2Din unit. They must exist because there's a picture on the kenwood website of it installed in a MkV!

Geoff & Andy -

Full Canbus (whatever that means!). Double Din Fascia Adaptors easy to obtain for all Mk5 Golfs. I had a different storage box fitted to be deep enough for CD cases.

Did over 150 miles today and thoroughly tested the SatNav etc. Some pretty cool stuff: Having set your nav route you can be viewing the touch screen in Aux/CD mode and when you come to a junction the music volume will reduce to allow the nav girl to speak and also the screen will automatically change to a close-up nav view of the junction and then go back to what you were viewing and listening to afterwards. Doesn't work too well if your music is playing loud and your Millteks are singing!

We changed the steering wheel Pioneer remote today and it now works and stays on. It's well out of the way and does have some useful functions such as volume of nav girl's voice.

Also we rigged the touch screen illumination to automatically switch from daylight to night (my pics show night illumination) when I switch on any of the car's exterior lights.

Very defo prefer higher position of Nav screen than the lower level built-in factory option. Reason is simply that peripheral vision ahead through windscreen is much less reduced....Much safer!

Will post pics after they get taken. The whole system looks better in the flesh than in my pics so far.

£50 less than the VW factory SatNav option!! But this unit has expandability and far superior audio with 50Wx4. Extensive EQ and also subwoofer (too loud for me!). Alpine and Kenwood produce similar but I don't know the detail differences - I just prefer the Pioneer style and interface.

Heres a pic of the VW DIN adaptor for anyone that wants to see it iirc its about £15 and part no, 1T0 051 058A available from any VW dealer.

VWdin.jpg

Full CANBUS adaptor takes the signals from the VW wiring bus system and gives you things like ignition switching, illumination (lights on line for dimmer), speed pulse for satnav, RPM, reverse and handbrake signals. This adaptor is not a cheap bit of kit though.

Hi Geoff - I think I slightly prefer your surround adaptor to mine but I'm not unhappy with mine. Here's some more pics of mine:

SatNavHead.jpg

SatNavDay.jpg

Note the long straight roads down this way....Eat your heart out! The vertical screen angle (user selectable) and my chosen high position minimise the visual distraction away from the road ahead.

The Pioneer strap-on (I can say that can't I ?!) controls a variety of functions but it's fiddly and doesn't illuminate so I haven't tried it out yet.

The VW MFSW controls of sound volume up & down & mute will work when my soundguy gets a behind-the-dash gizmo which is currently starting manufacture but isn't available yet....6-8 weeks approx.

Yeah, my colour matching goes even further: Subtle graded blue sunstrip on front windscreen, blue EU strip on #plates (although I'm not pro EUR). I haven't chosen any of this stuff just because of colour but it has just come together and works visually against the Red car and the GTI blue parts. You could get anal about it!!

Yep, Angel is hard wired in....She never leaves my side (nearly said lap!). Cost? About £60 to get hard wired but not sure because I had Reversing Bleepers fitted at same time and did a deal. Although fairly expensive I eraaly [Ooops! meant to type "really"!] like the Road Angel. It's low profile and Tiff Needell's voice is perfect. The only shortcoming is that it doesn't tell you what the particular speed limit is for each detected camera but it has plenty of other controls and features to make up for it. Yesterday I had a situation in which I was playing music....it automatically faded to allow the SatNav girl's voice to soothingly guide me and Tiff's voice suddenly chirped in and simultaneously told me of accident blackspot ahead....After voice stopped my music faded back up....Very cooool 169144-ok.gif . I just carried on driving and was laughing out loud smile.gif Great technology. Red last seen driving alone but laughing his head off....another nutter with a GTI.

Interesting that you're selling an A3 Sportback 'cos I considered buying one before I saw JC's GTI review. Saw a white A3 S'back recently with nice alloys....Looked very good indeed.