Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simkna

Robin's Pioneer Gizmo

175 posts in this topic

Interesting about the Sportback because the same happened to me too!

That was high on my list until I saw pictures of the GTI and then started reading review.

I wonder how many were in the same position, makes you wonder how many sales the GTI has taken away from Audi.

Sportback has been an enjoyable car to own for the past year but just doesn't involve me as much as the GTI did on the test drive! Tried the 2.0 T Sportback as well and that just felt a lot more reserved that the GTI - felt like a different car to me tbh.

Since buying the Sportback have become self employed and the economy of the Diesel is not such an important issue - plus after test driving the GTI I couldn't resist.

Now - VW - have you finished building my car yet or not!!!

A couple of pics to show how the iPod Shuffle is used connected by RCA phono from the Pioneer's AUX to a standard mini-jack. It doesn't interfere with 'ashtray' or gear lever and volume and EQ can be controlled from both the iPod and Pioneer and soon the MFSteering wheel. I guess that most GTI owners use the bigger iPods with different connections but there must be some with Shuffles.

iPod1.jpg

iPod2.jpg

Nice,

Don't suppose you have the part numbers for the Canbus interfaces he has used on your install by any chance?

Geoff.

Hi Geoff, I don't at present but I'm seeing him again next week and I'll ask. Btw, I made a mistake on my last post: EQ is only controllable from the Aux and Audio screen, which is fine. Tracks aren't listed but iPod itself functions as normal.

Next week's stage is to disconnect the Pioneer's 'safety' feature which only allows you to set a SatNav route if the handbrake is on (car stationery). That is overkill....Stops the passenger from routing while in motion and stops me doing same while stuck in traffic....I only ever use the handbrake for parking when leaving the car.

Looks like some boy racer halford metal floor mats tongue.gif to me lol wink.gifcool.gif jk.

Thanks let me know what you find out on the interface mate.

Thanks

Geoff.

It took you guys a long time to notice that! I was expecting such comments wink.gif I had these heavy duty floor mats in the front of the Mk4 Golf. Only one of them fits the GTI. Living in the countryside nowadays a more durable floor mat is a good idea. You may have already noticed that I always put function before form but I would nevertheless prefer matching mats when I can find a more durable pair that fits the Mk5. Carpet is a waste of time out here so the other three are GTI rubber (fairly thin). You only really notice it in photos.

[ QUOTE ]

Nice,

Don't suppose you have the part numbers for the Canbus interfaces he has used on your install by any chance?

Geoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Canbus 'CAN 07' by Celsus Celsus home page was all I could find out. That's what they fitted to mine and it's what Celsus make for the Mk5 Golf. My soundguy uses a variety of manufacturers. I hope this helps.

169144-ok.gif Robin

Thanks Robin 169144-ok.gif

I just thought of maybe your next upgrade for the pioneer. A rear view camera for even easier parking laugh.gif

Yes, the Pioneer system I have will take, amongst other toys, a rear view camera but I find that I am comfortable with my rear parking sensors now.

I had a little go on a demo Alpine SatNav today....A much better 3D 'driver's view' screen representation than my Pioneer but a tedious and clunky interface navigating around the software (rather like Windows is to Mac - Sorry!!).

Interesting coments on the Alpine as i was thinking of the alpine i must check it out more.

Mind the double din kenwoods with a bit of install intergration skill could endup looking quite stock.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the Alpine but it was my initial impression that I didn't find it as intuitive as the Pioneer. Checking it out more to see what suits you is obviously the best way to go.

hello robin,

did you upgrade all your speakers when you got your pioneer?

Also did you get a more powerfull amp for it?

the reason im asking is i have a mini disc player and cd umit from my previous car and a PPI 5440 amp from my last car. just wondering if in your opinion i would need to change all the speakers too.

I ordered my GTI without satnav, then had a change of heart and tried to get the order changed. Stealer said no, the build was planned and Germany would not budge. Fair enough, their loss I was only trying to give them £1,500 or so ...

Have done extensive research on finding a double-din Satnav that won't look like a Halfrods after-market managers-special.

Have found this one - might be of interest to others in the same position (i.e. lost):

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4099.html

Er .... its basically this one with the optional Satnav gubbin ...

Fresco if you really were intent on having the OEM sat nav then why not install it after you've got the car? The units aren't that difficult to get hold of or that difficult to install and can be had for a lot less than as a factory fit option.

Of course you will get a lot more for your money if you go for the aftermarket stuff like Robin did 169144-ok.gif

Question to Robin if he returns: do the heaters not affect the screen when its up?? smile.gif

Not a bad idea, thanks AndyW. I have a preferance for Pioneer hi-fi so started off looking down that road, then probably got bogged down wondering about double-din slots and the likes.

Have seen the OEM on Blaupunkt's .DE website, must have a look when I get the car and see if I can get a local car sparky to quote ...

Appreciate the guidance - will let you know what happens ..

[ QUOTE ]

Question to Robin if he returns: do the heaters not affect the screen when its up?? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....In theory, yes. And more so if you do as I have and fit your screen in the upper position. But in practice I don't angle those heater vents onto the back of the screen anyway. Also there's plenty airspace for circulation and the heat factor is not any worse than direct sunlight into the car. I specifically asked my trusted sound guy (he's done my last 3 cars) about this potential heat problem and he is confident that there won't be a problem. I hardly use car heaters anyway cos I prefer fresh air.

One thing I didn't realise before installation is that when open, 99% of the time, the screen stops me easily reaching the hazard light triangle. Having once spent a few months being a white van driver going to and from London overnight, I quickly adopted the truckers' habit of using your hazards to indicate you are past and can move across and also as a courteous acknowledgement.

ah rite! thanks red! beerchug.gif im currently weighing up gettin and after-market thing ( not soo keen on ) .. or an OEM version D/G thingy offa ebay but am only just looking for now smile.gif

Be very careful about getting any aftermarket systems from either eBay or the internet....They have different connection requirements etc in different countries. I know of someone who was over the moon to buy cheaper and bring back a Pioneer system like mine from the States....My soundguy was unable to install it!

First Pioneer SatNav I had seen, looked very impresseive. Still too hi-tech for me, but nice nonetheless 169144-ok.gif

Here's a recent night pic:

SatNavnight.jpg

You'd never hear the SatNav girl above your V8, Mose 169144-ok.gif