Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Here's a recent night pic:

SatNavnight.jpg

You'd never hear the SatNav girl above your V8, Mose 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOD!!! Dont want anything to spoil the soundtrack of the V8. I think I have only put the stereo on once. I cant stand anything hitech like that in the car, I still havent got round to getting myself a Road Angel or similar, cos I am just not one for gadgets in the car. Misus went to buy me a SatNav thing once and I was dead against it, sales guy looked most offended yelrotflmao.gif Thanx....but no thanx. Will rely on my common sense and do the xtra 40 or so miles trying to figure out where I am going! 169144-ok.gif

I rarely play music while actually driving because I prefer to hear my 4-pot on straight through Milltek (not quite as exciting as your V8 notworthy.gif but still enjoyable). I was always against SatNav but now I love it. Road Angel has saved me from missing a scamera (nightime and signs obscured by truck) a couple of times and also my speedo is extremely inaccurate (over 10%). Suits me well but not everyone's cup of tea, such as yourself. Cheers 169144-ok.gif

I'm not a technophobe in anyway at all, my home is full of useful sh1t with lights and buttons, but gadgets in cars dont do it for me at all, I feel harassed when the limiter kicks in first thing in the morning drives me nuts. The dash lights up like a fecking xmas tree.

The pioneer system though is a lovely bit of kit and immediately caught my eye, but I think if I were to ever have something like that in my car, it would take me a hell of a lot of adjusting to and a lot of interaction and plenty of language. I mentioned in the previous post about the Road Angel, I actually found its size quite intrusive when I saw it installed in various cars. Even the smaller version. But I have seen the Origin B2 unit installed quite discreetly, built into the dashboard and it looked very neat and less intrusive. But to me it is something else to have to watch, or listen to, and I thik I need to warm to these things instead of get defensive about them. Just aint my thing at the moment! But believe me I do love my gadgets and lights and things that make wierd noises, but not in my car 169144-ok.gif

Took it round to my "hairy biker friend" (see other post) yesterday cos he's a whizz on anything involving electrical power or mechanical and loves the challenge of mending things. We (he) ran extensive battery and direct power tests and, without going widely off topic into copious detail, we think the camera itself is functional but the battery power or charger may be at fault.

Next step is to see if I can borrow an appropriate Pentax lithium battery to test. Would doubtless cost half the cost of the original camera for Pentax to mend it if it's the cam itself. Of course, you were with me when the camera froze....in shock horror! I told you not to take your clothes off!! grin.gif

I'm buying the 5 year extended warranty on the new camera!

I hope we can fix it and then I'll give it to my imaginary (mccombie dig) daughter. Of course it's typical of me to say I'd love a new camera anyway and rush out and buy a replacement....Ooops! The GTI's ashtrays are full, I better order a new car!

Good idea Si. I've already been into my local cam shop this morning and we tested it with another battery but it's still dead. Seems it wants to go back to Pentax for a repair cost quotation and I'll decide from there. I'll look on eBay anyway if only to see what's available.

Cheers 169144-ok.gif Robin

[ QUOTE ]

Be very careful about getting any aftermarket systems from either eBay or the internet....They have different connection requirements etc in different countries. I know of someone who was over the moon to buy cheaper and bring back a Pioneer system like mine from the States....My soundguy was unable to install it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may have got your wires crossed lol.

Theres NO difference in the wiring. (trust me been into and installing Pro car audio for over 15 years)

The only differences are the tuners (radio)

For different markets they have different frequencys and frequency stepping.

Theres 3 main markets area.

Europe, USA and Asia/japan areas.

ALL units for Europe are the same some early stuff early 90s differs as the UK had RDS were germany and regions had DX system but 99.9999% of companys now only make 3 models. So buying a model for Europe often denoted with the letter R at the end of the model number but not always the case meens it will work in any europe country. E is often asia and no letter is normally USA.

All run on 12V and all wire the same if you know what each wire does.

As an example of the radio frequencys

FM

USA = 87.7 - 107.9 MHz but USE 200Khz steps between frequencys.

Europe = 87.5 - 108 Mhz but USE 50KHz steps

Japan = 76.1 - 89.9 Mhz

AM

USA = 530 - 1710Khz in 10Khz steps

Europe = 531 - 1602 in 9Khz steps

Japan = 522 - 1629 Khz in 9Khz steps

Notice how the steps screw some radio stations up.

Some makes and i stress that this is not always the case and often is not. If you use a certain combinations of buttons on the front panel let it swop region, But the manufacturer does not normally let this be known as the insides of the unit are the same for more than one region so keeping production costs down but the exterior can be different.

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

I ordered my GTI without satnav, then had a change of heart and tried to get the order changed. Stealer said no, the build was planned and Germany would not budge. Fair enough, their loss I was only trying to give them £1,500 or so ...

Have done extensive research on finding a double-din Satnav that won't look like a Halfrods after-market managers-special.

Have found this one - might be of interest to others in the same position (i.e. lost):

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4099.html

Er .... its basically this one with the optional Satnav gubbin ...

[/ QUOTE ]

hey rob...

problem i have with pioneer is that their iPod module is apparently shockingly bad to use, unlike the alpine, which provides access to the music on the iPod through the 'glide wheel'. All reviews on the Pioneer interface are pretty terrible...

1.gif

I've been using my Pioneer for quite a lot of months now and much preferred its interface to the Alpine, though I respect both Alpine and Kenwood as other excellent brands. My principle use is the SatNav touch screen. Mostly due to enjoying the sound of my Millteks I don't often listen to music while driving but I didn't have the iPod module. Instead, my sound guy rigged me a line with mini-jack which accepts all our iPods.

I have no issues at all with Pioneer's sound quality (and I speak as a recording musician).

I've heard the Pioneer iPod adaptor is poor as well. I have been told it only processes the first 8 characters of the track/title and artist info, no matter what Pioneer head unit you have. Very limiting really considering you'd expect a much more flexible system from aftermarket audio.

That's very disappointing if the Pioneer iPod adaptor is as poor as people say. However, it does depend on how you use your iPod - We simply view it as a means of taking favourite music to the car for the day and either letting it shuffle or play DJ directly from the iPod itself. Our iPods' contents are regularly changed. I don't see the point of reading what track is playing via the head unit - Especially while driving!

Hi Robin,

Just wondering what this Canbus thing is. Does it give you control via the factory steering wheel buttons?

Also, just wondered, does the headunit have any parts that come off (like a face off) for security reasons or do you have to leave it in. I suppose depending on where you live it probably doesn't matter.

Looks like a good setup there 169144-ok.gif

Yes, Canbus is the way in which modern cars are much more efficient on all the wiring. With Canbus, MFSW buttons become functional re the aftermarket head - However, I am still waiting for this particular piece of the jig-saw.

A small part of the face is removeable for security but Pioneer don't provide a protective case for it !! NONO3.GIF The remote controller which fits the steering wheel is a complete waste of time.

The Pioneer isn't perfect but it's still pretty good and IMO its features and advantages far outweigh the limitations. Sound quality is good.

Tell me about it. i have Pioneer headunit with that same remote and I didn't even bother fitting it. Not the best are they.

Your headunit looks nice mate. I have replaced the front speakers in my current car (crappy saxo don't flame me grin.gif) with some infinity reference for around £100 and they run really well off the head unit. Just in case you ever feel the need for an upgrade 169144-ok.gif

I was just interested thats all as the GTI is on my wishlist when I can afford to change cars and I would most likely upgrade the stereo.

I also have the pioneer Ipod adapter in my car and it's ok but not as good as I thought with regards to browsing. Apparently you get more advanced controlling with headunits like yours though. Mine is a normal CD Unit.

Anyway cheers for the info beerchug.gif

I difd love my R32, the look, noise and 4 wd etc. Still not sure on what I would go for though next. It will all depend on money at the time and how far I am travelling with work. Becuase I get stuck in loads of traffic in my current job I was lucky to get more than 18mpg out the old R32.

I also really like the front end of the gti and not so keen on the chrome on the new R.

Having said that I spotted a silver r32 at my gym the other week and it looked much better in the flesh.

My over all thought was that I could have a nice specced up GTI with all the toys and it's still quite practicle with running costs. Also I think the GTI will have a queue of people waiting to buy when second hand. I ended up having to trade in my R32 after advertising for months as it seemed to be out of a lot of peoples price range.

To be honest I can see it being over a year at this rate but a few cars i like are

New shape boxster s

Golf R32

Golf GTI

or possible Nissan 350z but would be worried about crappy build quality.

Anyway sorry to go off topic 169144-ok.gif

thanks for that Red... the latest Pioneer DVD NAV unit the AVIC-X1BT (www.pioneer-eur.com) is up for £1495 here and i think that's what i may go with, along with some model specific aftermarket speakers from Pioneer to. I'm not a boy racer but for the quality sound i may go for a (not too loud) active sub in the back...

i still have to get the car though...

1.gif

"or possible Nissan 350z but would be worried about crappy build quality."

Strainge coment there imo, maybe im just know too many people at Nissan but Nissans imho have great build quality one of the best in the world imho, they may not use the best looking materials but there well designed and extremely well screwed together.