Robin's Pioneer Gizmo

simkna

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AndyW > Cool 169144-ok.gif. However, in practice I really like having my screen viewed at higher level and more in my line of sight while driving. Makes no difference to heat or cool air vents but it's almost impossible to use the hazard lights while driving if the screen is up. Using hazards to acknowledge someone's polite action is something I learnt from being a white van driver.

Which reminds me that I PM'd you re Castle Combe. You going? With vents?

[ QUOTE ]

My god, i thought we dumped this thread 6 months ago crazy.gif !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see the point of starting a new thread when it's more info about another Pioneer Gizmo ha.gif

Being fitted tomorrow - and thanks for the tip Robin - will mention the handbrake thingy to them.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Tip: Ask your installer to bypass the control which stops you using the SatNav unless you have the handbrake on. Whereas you, while driving, wouldn't be inclined to set a destination, it's sometimes very useful to be able to Cancel All Routes while driving and also your passenger can use it while you are driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gifIm sure its just a suggestion and Red would not condone such an act of breaking the law in such a manner on a public viewable forum, an act the police are clamping down on. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Tip: Ask your installer to bypass the control which stops you using the SatNav unless you have the handbrake on. Whereas you, while driving, wouldn't be inclined to set a destination, it's sometimes very useful to be able to Cancel All Routes while driving and also your passenger can use it while you are driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gifIm sure its just a suggestion and Red would not condone such an act of breaking the law in such a manner on a public viewable forum, an act the police are clamping down on. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Err? What I'm suggesting involves no more actions than when adjusting volume or changing track on a standard car audio system, or aircon. I'm also specifically pointing out that it's not a good idea to set a SatNav destination while driving but why shouldn't the system allow your passenger to do so?

The police would do better to clamp down on mobile phone users while driving.

As it also allows most of the unit to also play/view DVDs while on the move if you don't have the handbrake lead connected. Its actually a legal requirement to have this lead connected.

I never said not too just saying im sure you would not advice people to break the law on a public forum wink.gif

I can understand why watching a DVD on the move is unacceptably dangerous and have no interest in doing this.

But inputting a new route whilst driving is no more distracting than tuning the radio IMO, expecially as the unit has decent voice command capability. Stopping to change nav routes is a right royal pain in the ass.

The one annoying "feature" I've found so far is the unit's insistence that you press "OK" to a disclaimer message warning about the dangers of using navigation on the move every time the Nav part of the unit boots up.

I understand this is a feature common to most integrated Nav units. smashfreakB.gif

Geoff > I know you are right but I ain't no sheep when it comes to the law and I think I have made it clear which circumstances are safe for SatNav fiddling when on the move.

Richard > I find that initial disclaimer screen irritating too. My soundguy couldn't kill it but I have got used to it and have the habit of touching it off. My Pioneer is set to start on SatNav so I dispense with the disclaimer at the start of any journey whether I am SatNavving a destination or not.

I find 3D road mapping display very useful whether routing or not.

169144-ok.gif

yes its excellent - phone was recognised the second I got in the car and switched the unit on.

Call quality is very good - with my old Nokia kit I had lots of comments like "its really echoey" from people I phoned but tested the Navi comms last night and all is crystal. You can also choose whether the speech is relayed through front left, front right or both front speakers.

One other really neat touch - many of the points of interest in the database (TeleAtlas 2006) have phone numbers stored already. So if you are looking for a hotel, or golf course, or pharmacist, or restaurant and your mobile is active, you can just hit "dial" and you're connected instantly.

And all phone actions can be voice-controlled but I haven't got into the whole setup side of this yet.

My installers positioned the mic just above the rear view mirror to keep wind/road noise to a minimum. There is also much less interference with the Navi unit than with the old Nokia kit e.g. when changing mobile cells or incoming calls are just about to arrive.

169144-ok.gif

Some photos from another forum.

-Alpine IVAW200 indash DVD 2-DIN HU

-Clarion OHM106 10.2" drop down widescreen monitor, 2 sets of 2 source headphones

-JL A4300 4 channel 70rms / channel amp

-JL A1400 mono 500w sub amp

-JL 10W3V3 10" 2 ohm sub

-JL TR650CSi 6.5" component speaker system-2 sets

-Alpine KCE422I iPod adaptor cable

-AVX ADC400 power invertor 350w

-Playstation Slimline PS2

DSCN317.jpg

DSCN3175.jpg

DSCN3176.jpg

DSCN3178.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

JL TR650CSi 6.5" component speaker system-2 sets

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds like a pretty fair setup Snoopy - the JL component speakers absoultely rock and they get better the more you turn up the gains - I can't get them to distort with a JL 300/4 amp (JL 653 + JL650) !!

To add insult to other component speakers they also produce enough low-end bass to round-off the setup - I don't run a sub and am amazed they sound so good.

might try and really turn them up just for a laugh and see how far they go - they're probably only running 45-50W RMS currently but are rated at a true 75W RMS + FIREdevil.gif

the MkV golf construction combined with Dynamat Extreme + good quality audio kit seems to be an excellent environment for a decent sound system

169144-ok.gif

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

Pioneer AVIC_HD1BT has been fitted - some zip files of pics attached.

Overall so far much better sound quality (through JL Audio Amp/Speakers) and navigation and mapping seems virtually flawless.

proper comment to follow tomorrow. beerchug.gif

Set 1

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks nice, did you need a Can-bus interface to get the speed pulse for the nav? Where did you have it installed?