282 bhp!!

RedRobin

Hi guys....it was Milltek who told me about it so I guess it probably is with their Hi-flow system. Wouldn't make much sense not to use a good sports exhaust system. I haven't checked the REVO web site - am a bit busy doing other stuff as well as posting here!

Anyone considering such a big hike would probably be thinking of suspension and brake mods too but I'm told that the GTI is supplied with plenty of 'headroom' by VW because they have to suit regulations in different countries. I'm no expert in such matters.

I also learnt today that 17s are very efficient and tuning doesn't mean you need bigger wheels. Milltek's 19s on their tuned GTI are purely for aesthetic reasons.

Yeah LeMan....I can easily chirp my tyres at only 210 bhp.

Hi Barry - My thoughts are the same as yours. Each car will be different but Milltek reckon 208-210 bhp on Cat-backs and 215-220 bhp on their Turbo-back Hi-flow. The Turbo-back will enable a faster spool up if I've understood it correctly.

My original post was more of a 'Wow!-Look-What-They've-Done-Now!' heads up rather than one of my enthusiastic recommendations.

Anyone who ops to have 280hp, up from 200hp, and doesn't uprate the brakes and suspension needs their head looking at.

The R32 has masive brakes, admitedly it weights a bit more, but even so many have uprated the R32 brakes when a power hike was introduced.

280hp is going to make a hell of a lot of difference to the way the car drives, how fast it goes (obviously), and also the kinds of forces that will be put through the suspension, tyres, bushes, etc.

280hp upgrade and nothing else uprated at the same time is typical of people who know nothing about cars and olny want more power cos they want to be better than the next guy!

That said I'd still like to have a go in one and see what its like...... will be super quick on the over-take smile.gif169144-ok.gif

My mate had his tuned by AMD and had the full turbo back Miltek Exhaust with around 280bhp which handled the power very well, didn't suffer torque steer badly, Its all down to how smooth the map is.

It made my DSG look like its standing still!

Some of the others on uk-mkivs have been out in it also, he posts under J8N XL!

[ QUOTE ]

anyone who wants to upgrade to 280bhp on the GTI probably bought the wrong car in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be looking to uprate my GTI when I get her next year and would be v. happy to get 280bhp!!

So what car should I have bought then.

7MAT

I don't know, and you will obviously do what you want, but by the time the engine has been remapped, the suspension and brakes have been upgraded, and the exhaust has been replaced, I would think it'd be better to have just bought a car that was designed with 280bhp in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know, and you will obviously do what you want, but by the time the engine has been remapped, the suspension and brakes have been upgraded, and the exhaust has been replaced, I would think it'd be better to have just bought a car that was designed with 280bhp in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point, but for osme (many) its the upgrading / subtle modding that is the reason why we buy cars.

To compliment 280hp, you need to spend a good £3000 more on brakes and suspension, etc, otherwise all that power will simply reduce the standard parts to mush in a short time.

smile.gif

I have 260 and 4WD and thats enough for me in a Golf. I've driven FWD with 200hp and I wouldn't go much more than 220 ish.

Anyone who thinks that can handle 280hp thru the fronts when the going gets tricky, ie ice, snow, grease etc is in for a big shock.

Many will say they can, many will argue that there are plenty of cars out there with more than 300hp going thru the fronts, but I'm convinced that its too much.

smile.gif

Anyone considering a 280bhp upgrade on a DSG GTi needs to be careful. After enquiries to AMD about a remap, I had this response...... : QUOTE : There's no need to do anything with the software in the DSG gearbox the only thing we have to watch out for is the torque limits. There should be no danger of this on a stage 1 or stage 2. We only have to limit the torque on stage 3. :UNQUOTE :...... The AMD stage 2 goes to 55bhp, the Stage 3 to 70bhp.... an extra 80bhp through the DSG box sounds a bit risky to me.

[ QUOTE ]

anyone who wants to upgrade to 280bhp on the GTI probably bought the wrong car in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

So does that mean that by upgrading my R32 from 240 to 312 bhp I bought the wrong car?

I don't reckon it does, although it has the added advantage of 4Motion and still further scope for power with the supercharger conversion.

I think 280 bhp in a FWD car is pushing the boundaries to about the limit, but with around 300 lb/ft of torque, which is what I reckon it would push out being a turbo'd car, the 50 to 70 and beyond would be fantastic.

I'm not too sure, but I don't think many people on TsN have bought their Mk5 GTI's for spinning away at the lights and throttle control is probably something most owners possess...

Please Mr VW, bring out the GTI with a 4Motion drivetrain so it can be pushed up to 300 bhp and still be extremely driveable 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone considering a 280bhp upgrade on a DSG GTi needs to be careful. After enquiries to AMD about a remap, I had this response...... : QUOTE : There's no need to do anything with the software in the DSG gearbox the only thing we have to watch out for is the torque limits. There should be no danger of this on a stage 1 or stage 2. We only have to limit the torque on stage 3. :UNQUOTE :...... The AMD stage 2 goes to 55bhp, the Stage 3 to 70bhp.... an extra 80bhp through the DSG box sounds a bit risky to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The DSG 'box will handle 300 bhp without any problems - the torque just has to be cranked back to 270 to 280 lb/ft to avoid it from ripping the guts out of itself. The same problem exists for the R32 DSG and A3 3.2 DSG.

There are two variants of the DSG 'box, one of which can handle a lot more than 300 lb/ft torque. We discussed this a while ago in the R32 forum, so I'll try to dig out the thread.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who ops to have 280hp, up from 200hp, and doesn't uprate the brakes and suspension needs their head looking at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you just explain that? Why would you need uprated brakes? They'd still be hauling you down from the same speed? And why uprated suspension? Power is transmitted through your drivetrain, not your suspesion, so why would you need to upgrade your suspension?

Can you actually give me an explanation for this rather than just "cos you just do"?

[ QUOTE ]

If you've got 280bhp you will be going faster. Otherwise why would you get it!

Whether you're accelorating into/out of bends quicker or whether you're cruising quicker, you need to make sure the car can handle the extra power and not dump you in a hedge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Leman. It's a given that if you up the power on any car, it's a wise move to also upgrade your stopping power. By the way Dan, brave move with the Candy White. I saw one at a dealer before I ordered mine and fell in love with it. Shame I chickened out and went for Red, but I'm happy grin.gif Take no notice when people waffle on about residuals, I still maintain the Whites will be in demand, as there won't be too many around.