A4 1.9 tdi Air Flow Meter

scots_warrior

hi people,

new to this audi forum, i bought an A4 1.9 tdi(1996) in january of this year. it is a luvly car, but i have been getting problems with intermittent loss of power, in february the fault supposably was the air flow meter, this was replaced at a cost of £130 plus vat, still the car either runs like a dog, or goes like a rocket. if the ignition is turned off and then restarted that cures the problem, but it could loose power within 100 yards and run like a tractor.

i spoke to the supplier of the air mass meter they are replacing the unit tomorrow but i noticed when i removed the air mass meter that the electrical connection on the air mass meter had 6 male connectors housed within it, and the connector from the car had only 5 female connections, would this effect the running of my car, all help would be gratefully received....................... fekr.gif

thats exactly how my car was behaving, it was really flat and it was like the turbo wasnt workking at all, i had the air flow/mass meter replaced and its a joy to drive again ECLIPSe.gif

if its not the air flow meter, you mite have possible leak in the system somewhere or the timing is slightly out

hi there,

replaced the air mass meter today and guess what it is still running like a dog mate. i am from cumbernauld where are u from, would the VAG COM detect any faults. spoke to my mechanic tonight he suggested booking the car into audi (cheers mate), that will cost me £60 an hour just for labour, i can see pound notes flying right oot the windae...................... any help would be gratefully received mate

If Audi are anything like Volkswagen, they don't start charging you until they find the cause of the fault. That is, they will investigate at their cost, and when they've located the fault, they'll then charge you for fixing it and putting the car back together smile.gif

Yes, that's even if it's out of warranty!

Give your Audi service manager a call and ask him if this is how they do things.

[ QUOTE ]

hi there,

replaced the air mass meter today and guess what it is still running like a dog mate. i am from cumbernauld where are u from, would the VAG COM detect any faults. spoke to my mechanic tonight he suggested booking the car into audi (cheers mate), that will cost me £60 an hour just for labour, i can see pound notes flying right oot the windae...................... any help would be gratefully received mate

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in Cumbernauld too...

hi there,

got my car tested on thursday mate, this problem was driving me mad, cost me 20 quid to get a result, it turns out that it was a turbo wastegate, not working properly, the wastegate and wiring connection are being ordered from audi on monday, god knows what that will cost (a mint probably knowing Audi dealerships). The wastegate is about the size of a matchbox, with 3 hoses going to it and an electrical connection. i will keep you posted mate if the problem is solved............... : confused.gif

hi folks,

went to my local audi dealer and ordered the part, i will collect it tommorrow cost me 40 quid including the vat, but bein audi the wiring harness and the wiring was sold seperately, for more money no doubt. will keep you posted as to how the car is going once the new wastegate is fitted, well here's hoping..................... grin.gif