TT 3.2 Rumbling noise front right

jozza66

Hi All,

Normally lurk in the passat forum, but have a prob with a 3.2 TT:-

The car's 3.2DSG RHD UK model, which makes a rumbling noise when taking long radius corners (larger roundabouts) at mid speeds (in the region of 40mph). The rumbling noise sounds and vibrates through like the car is being driven over a lot of transverse ridges, the sort you'd find as rumble markers at the side of the motorway.

Straighten the car up and its fine. The noise would appear to eminate from the front near side (passenger / left hand side) of the car. It happens in varying degrees although recently it has got progressively worse. Initially I thought it may be a piece of trim foweling the wheel , but on in spection there are not tell tale marks.

The car has been to my local Audi dealer, who could not trace the problem, although suggested that it may be related to corroded brake discs, which they replaced. The problem still exists.

The car is running Michelin front tyres which are approximately half worn and in good general condition. I am going to try swapping the front's to the rear and vise versa at the weekend (it is running Avon's at the back), to see if that makes a difference.

Has anyone else experienced the problem or does anyone have any ideas what else it could be??

Ta

John

Have just been through similar thing with mine and ended up being the tyres. Wasn't dependent on turning though - a weird rumbling/resonating noise between 55 and 65mph (exhaust too noisy after that). Never felt any vibration and the noise seemed to be coming from under the car somewhere.

Took it to Audi and they said it was down to 2 of my alloys not being round anymore. Wasn't dangerous so I wasn't going to shell out a grand on 2 new wheels.

Got a tyre replaced on Monday just gone (all 3 others replaced in last 3 months) as the inside edge was badly worn and the noise is gone.

Apparently the TT is bad for this and GoodYear F1s (which mine has on) are paricularly bad and deform after a while.

Balancing would be my advice as well. Could save you a lot of money.

As I mentioned above I've got 2 buckled wheels but once I got all new tyres on there was no noise. Bad wear and low profile tyres is not good on the ears. Am looking for a place that does cheap(er) 4 wheel alignment which should hopefully sort out the uneven wear I'm getting.

If they're only slightly out then that's what balancing's for anyway.