Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aleister

should Passat do this?

2 posts in this topic

Help!, I bought a 93 Passat 1800li, but having had it for a few days i have noticed the temperature gauge fluctuates a lot and the temperature warning light flashes occasionally. - For example, the warning light just started flashing when the temp was 75?.... do i have a problem, is this normal? - also I was driving on motorway, the warning light flashed and the temp showed 100?, then after a few miles the gauge dropped to 70 and the warning light went out? - any one know whats going on? (sorry if my explanation is bad.. this car confuses me).

Finally, I drive the Passat for five miles and the engine when turned off makes a strange ticking noise... bit like a clock but quicker, i dont know if it is electrical or just hot engine, is anyone familiar with these issues, i beg for your help as i dont want a garage to try and con me???? - thanks in advance passat people!!! confused.gif

I was told by a VW mechanic who is also an enthusiast, that while the temp gauge will usually show a constant temp, the temps actually fluctuate quite regularly. I'm not familiar with the anatomy of a temp gauge, but I suppose the internal mechanism that would normally have the gauge show a constant could be faulty and showing true readings? Just a thought.