Early GTi DSG cooling vents ? ?

mixit

Just remembered this and wondered if any cars filtered through to Joe Public with the cooling vents in the honeycomb? Iv'e had a good look under the front of my 2006 spec. DSG and it has various ducts to direct cool air to the DSG box, so I guess they decided against em? Anyone know any different? znaika.gif

Vents.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice shot btw 169144-ok.gif

VW found that the DSG cooling system didn't need these vents as originally thought. Also, apparently, the airflow wasn't reaching the right parts anyway (so I'm told). Hence they are no longer included. There was even an aftermarket replacement grill in which all the honeycomb was opened up around the fogs.

"Is or was?" - Are you referring to the aftermarket open grills? If so, I saw them on eBay but they were wire and not plastic and didn't look as if they would match very well. I agree with you about what looks like something should be that something - I dislike imitations. It looks like a vent therefore make it a vent.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd get my sister to do it, she is a silversmith so has all the tools for doing fiddly precision things. I'd probably end up cutting something I didn't mean to!

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect, get her to make some for you out of silver, add some spinners, it'll look lovely all blinged up. tongue.gif169144-ok.gif

jump.gif

The open vents look cool! Mine are open only on the right hand side (head on). I was looking through it last night with a maglight. It tunnels through to a radiator of some sort. Come to think of it , almost the whole frontal area of the gti is made up of radiators! Without confirming, by opening the bonnet, I could even see a radiator in front of another!

2005 DSG

My understanding is that the South African built cars have the open left hand side (right side if you are looking from dead ahead) vent. If I understand correctly this leads to an oil cooler for the DSG.

I was back at the dealers on Friday - picking up the radio manual which wasn't supplied on delivery and they had a manual car on the showroon waiting for delivery but this didn't have the vent.

[ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that the South African built cars have the open left hand side (right side if you are looking from dead ahead) vent. If I understand correctly this leads to an oil cooler for the DSG.

I was back at the dealers on Friday - picking up the radio manual which wasn't supplied on delivery and they had a manual car on the showroom waiting for delivery but this didn't have the vent.

[/ QUOTE ]OzGTi

Your right.

I am still trying to find the front towing location (can't seem to see any place where the front honeycomb cover comes of to revel the towing location) and my wife pointed out that the left honeycomb was open, but the right honeycomb was blocked (much prefer the unblocked look).

Seems you guys in the warmer climates are getting a little more venting then 169144-ok.gif

If any of you guys get a chance to really see whats behind them, it would be interesting to know of everything could be painted black. If a full "open" grille were available, I'd be interested in fitting, but only if it looked right behind it. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

hi celts, ive been a twit to confuse you about the towing loaction on the front. just to confirm with what i said, i went home and checked it and couldnt find one either. sorry. i got confused with the one at the rear. i really dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]zoomx3

Thank G_d it isn't just me.

I thought I may have been hand-jiving to much and couldn't see properly tongue.gif

Anyone else - does the GTi have a front tow-eye location???