White smoke under acceleration

damianmkv

When my Land Rover's turbo blew it kicked out enough black smoke to fill both carraigeways of the A61, and enough to cause a passer by to call the fire brigade. This makes me think its not your turbo.

On the other hand, when the head gasket went on a previous car, it kicked out a bit of white smoke when accelerated hard (to start with), and by the time I'd driven it to the garage it was in a pretty bad state. Thankfully it was a heap of junk with a cast block and head (not aluminium) and so the head didn't warp due to the excessive heat.

If yours is blowing any white smoke, then you need to check the oil filler cap to see if there's any tell tale sludge in there (should be black normally, may be creamy white if head is going). You also may be able to tell by looking in the expansion tank - if it's got any fluid left in it, it may have combustion gases in - there's a magic fluid you can get which changes colour if there's gases in the water.

I think all VW heads are ally, so you don't want to be driving it at all - you're risking a warped head, which depending on tolerances and manufacturing process may or may not be able to be skimmed. I was lucky when the head gasket went on the replacement engine on the land rover - I had the head skimmed and it was ok. If it had been the newer TD5 engine, it would not have been able to be skimmed.

Wow - that got a bit longer than I had intended - sorry. The upshot is that you probably need to get the car to the dealers on the back of a low loader.

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]

burning oil (like when oil is leaking into the compression housing on a turbo) is blue not white

Get it to a dealer A.S.A.P

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're right about getting it to a dealer A.S.A.P but I can say for sure that when I've had turbo's give up they have always blown white smoke as far as the eye can see.

I remember one time,that it blocked all three lanes of the M25 with white smoke and I couldn't see any other car behind me-very embarassing!

Rustynuts strikes again!! He came in good with the answer! laugh.gif Again!

Star man... keep it up, you help a lot of people on here.

THANKS 169144-ok.gif

Back to the post.....Mines got 152k on it and its still on the original turbo and everything else, did split a turbo hose a while back.

[ QUOTE ]

Rustynuts strikes again!! He came in good with the answer! laugh.gif Again!

Star man... keep it up, you help a lot of people on here.

THANKS 169144-ok.gif

Back to the post.....Mines got 152k on it and its still on the original turbo and everything else, did split a turbo hose a while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is a dog - a Friday afternooner - call it whatyou will but its a pile of poo. It has had rattles x about 40 ( i'm not joking ! ), broken down twice, not started twice, 7 x airbag faults, low oil pressure warning ( inspite of being full with oil ), flat spot - solenoid valve changed (hasn't cured it), paint faults - the list goes on and on. And at a cost of more than £23K..i'm peeved abt it fekr.gif

[admission time] Yes, I knew it was booked in for a turbo. First thing I do when someone comes up with a problem is look at their recent posts and see what's been said for the past few days etc. It can be very errrrmm...enlightening sometimes. 169144-ok.gif

Sorry folks. A bit of inside information there. yelrotflmao.gif

I have about a dozen diesels and white smoke is always oil... black smoke on a diesel is unburnt fuel. Where the oil is coming from is another question... Like the discussion says it's probably the turbo, otherwise it would do it almost all the time if it was the head gasket. Good luck.

[ QUOTE ]

[admission time] Yes, I knew it was booked in for a turbo. First thing I do when someone comes up with a problem is look at their recent posts and see what's been said for the past few days etc. It can be very errrrmm...enlightening sometimes. 169144-ok.gif

Sorry folks. A bit of inside information there. yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the shock of it shocked.gifshocked.gif- booo !! grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

new turbo fitted 2.1/2 weeks ago. Cured the white smoke. Til the car broke down 2 days later. Grrrrrr !! So its been in VW for 6 days and came back yesterday with a new ECU and a broken dash panel. So it went back again.

New ( read " replacement" ) car on order as this one is rubbish