• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

This subject being discussed in another forum:

link

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen it. Sold my MKV GTI for one - need some excitment in my life. GTI = John Major - Grey and Dull, a car for those that want to be associated with 1.4 Golfs jump.gif

Cant wait for my new steed to turn up. Want a car that I jump into on a Sunday morning for a drive. My GTI parked on a Friday and stayed on the drive until Monday morning. dung.gif

I take it you mean you've ordered the Astra then, can't imagine anyone wanting to drive an A3 wilst being awake. Let us know how you find it, I'm starting to get itchy feet waiting for the Cayman but I'm not sure I could live with a Vauxhall - some bits of badge snobbery are hard to erase and I'm still not overly comfortable with having a VW, stupid I know

I guess Chins does not have access to all the media reports. The GTI may be marginally slower, but a hugely better car overall.

I certainly do not misss my 225TTC Audi one little bit.

I made this statement shortly after purchasing a GTI:

"First impressions, awesome handling and fantastic torque"

I have been waiting for my test drive in a VXR since August, what is wrong with the VXR as you certainly cannot drive one yet?

[ QUOTE ]

Sold my MKV GTI for one - need some excitment in my life. GTI = John Major - Grey and Dull, a car for those that want to be associated with 1.4 Golfs

[/ QUOTE ]

chins, you're hardly going for a F430 are you. Your going for a car which is only marginally quicker, has inferior handling and worse build quality.

you obviously want reeespect aiight from the Pizza hut west side crew, either that or your thinking that your VXR will rip ten tons of dung.gif out of a GTI (which it won't). Also explain your comment comparing a GTI to a 1.4 tongue.gif find it quite ironic seeing as though your getting an Astra suicide.gif

VXR doesn't grab me.

I know the handling was done by Lotus (see my sig) by to be honest in a 5 door hatch I want something that's chilled, relaxed and can move like scalded cat.

The golf is that

The VXR would be exhausting.

My Old Impreza was really tiring on a long trip I would imagine the VXR would be the same.

[ QUOTE ]

Dont knock Vauxhall`s... my van handles like a dream.

Riz FIREdevil.gif169144-ok.gifjump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh that's because everyone knows that when the Bugatti Veryon went Vmax at 250 MPH there was an Astramax flashing it's lights so it could get past... 169144-ok.gif

P.S. when I was 17 I loved driving a Farm 950 Fiesta Van as it was sooo satisfying to be faster than people in better equipment.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Dont knock Vauxhall`s... my van handles like a dream.

Riz FIREdevil.gif169144-ok.gifjump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh that's because everyone knows that when the Bugatti Veryon went Vmax at 250 MPH there was an Astramax flashing it's lights so it could get past... 169144-ok.gif

P.S. when I was 17 I loved driving a Farm 950 Fiesta Van as it was sooo satisfying to be faster than people in better equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]My vans made 135mph!

Riz FIREdevil.gifjump.gif

My sober response to the above.

The GTI was a fantastic car in many ways. Well built, very fast and good handling. The engine was simply one of the best Ive owned in my 30 or 40 odd cars. BUT

They dont really stand out from a 1.4 Golf in the way an old R32 would of from an old 1.4. The looks are very subtle, which some like.

The car IMHO is just too damn competent and lacking excitment. I kept the car 7 months which was almost a record for me, but as mentioned earlier never took it out for a blast - something I did the R32, RS4, M3 and multiple Scoobies.

Why a VXR ? When the first photos came out, the looks got me. Hardly a 1.6 Astra and in a colour exclusive in the Astra range to the VXR

I'm actually after a car that isnt perfect shocked.gif

Always have fond memories of my Astra GTE 16V, which was a challenge to drive quickly, but was damn good fun.

I know people will quote Clarkson and Top Gear, but that car wasnt running the VXR suspension, hence the handling.

Ive not driven one before buying it, but its been the same with 50% of the cars Ive bought - recently the GTI. Vauxhall have had problems with the body kit as their supplier got into the dung.gif and might have gone down the Flush.gif This might also be affecting other manufacturers and sporting models - Ford ST. Hence no cars on the road untill mid-late November.

Its interesting that people can knock the VXR without even driving it themselves, at least Ive driven and owned a GTI tongue.gif The VXR will not be a long term ownership for me, but cant wait to add it to the list of cars Ive owned, although I cant stand the dealership I'm dealing with.

My VXR has cost £17500 with everything the GTI had except full leather (half leather std). My Golf cost north of 22k. As for residuals, lost £2750 on my Golf, so not rock solid. The VXR has IMHO had some stupid residuals quoted. It will be available in more limited numbers than the GTI, has more power, is cheaper. I expect it to match an LCR, so therfore at 3 years it will be worth about £10k, for me that would be a £7.5k loss - a GTI will be no better, if not worse.

Jonathan

[ QUOTE ]

They dont really stand out. The looks are very subtle, which some like.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wasn't the whole point of the Gti to be discreet?

[ QUOTE ]

I kept the car 7 months which was almost a record for me

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are bothered about residuals? Sorry i dont understand! confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

They dont really stand out. The looks are very subtle, which some like.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wasn't the whole point of the Gti to be discreet?

[ QUOTE ]

I kept the car 7 months which was almost a record for me

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are bothered about residuals? Sorry i dont understand! confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not fussed about the residuals, but some seem to quote them as a reason not to buy a VXR.

We dont all want to be discreet jump.gif

I respect Chins decision on this....... it certainly wouldn't do if we all like the same thing.

I think the GTi is a great car but it doesn't have what I look for in a car, neither does the VXR. Which is why I'm not looking to buy either!

Plus it'll be good for a few TSNers to own VXRs so we can have a proper compare / debate about the VXR v's GTi V's X, Y or Z!!

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Neo, not a fan of Vauxhall's, General Motor products in Australia & NZ are Holdens. Go for the R32

[/ QUOTE ]Ermmm i used to own a R32.

So far owned

Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme 137bhp

Audi S3 Quattro 210bhp

VW Golf R32 241bhp

Had to sell the R32 to buy my own place, just cant afford my own car at the moment so have a company van.... the Astra.... trouble free motoring mmmmmm

Riz jump.gif169144-ok.gif

that's a great post Chins. It's really refreshing to see people post their honest opinions on here without the need to take digs at other's opinions.

I think the reason you got rid of the GTI is probably the reason I'll love it - I'm looking for somethign that's an all rounder which also does fast. Don't really want something that's got TOO much edge. Can't wait for mine to arrive, and good luck with your VXR. Let us know what it's like! 169144-ok.gif

mu71rd,

I'd say that's why most of us chose the GTI, we all want a good all rounder, afterall if you wanted an ulitmate sports car you'd buy something a little more hardcore, such as a noble, caterham, tvr etc.

There will always be faster cars than the GTI, and we'd be silly to think it's the best car in the world, but it 's a great compromise which loses little in space, practicality, good road performance, some fuel economy, at a reasonable cost.

I've driven the a3 and the golf and woul dchose the golf everytime for road comfort, and performance. I'm sure the VXR is a good car, manufacturers can't get away with making bad ones these days, but I don't want hardcore for everyday use, hence the GTI.

Been reading this topic, and I can't understand how anyone would change a 200bhpish front wheel drive hatchback, for another car of very similar power, a hatchback, and front wheel drive and expect it to give a massive difference in driver appeal. There are differences in the two cars- the VXR may look meaner, the GTI may be a bit more useable everyday, but surely these differences can't alter the appeal of the car that much. If driver involvement is such a defineing factor,and you still need something with back seats buy an EVO/Scooby/M3, Either one of these cars, from an out and out blast point of view, is in a different league to a GTI/VXR 0r any other Front Wheel drive hatchback.

Hi and welcome SAW1,

More useable everyday and four proper seats with four passenger doors and an extendable boot space and very respectable performance be it 200bhpish front wheel drive, and styling inside and outside which appeals to me as a hatchback, and which suits West Country roads and which actually (only just!) fits in my garage, and is fun and a joy to drive.... 169144-ok.gif floats my boat!

I agree totally with you....the EVO/Scooby/M3 option is a different league....It's Horses For Courses. [Got hammered by a big blue Impreza the other day]. Now, how about a Morgan Aero 8? - There's a drive!!