Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cjodrey

very disturbing

5 posts in this topic

This is going to sound very starnge and probably thats because it is. Since I bought my car a 99 passat I have found 2 things. First when I fill it up if I dont leave the car running it is very diifficult to start it just doesnt want to turn over. Second the gas gauge fluctuates after the cars been on long enough it falls to empty then will pop back and its ussually only correct when I have just filled it up? Any ideas? I would appreciate it pengy.gif

Hi Chris,

I would have the fuel pump checked. You starting problem sounds a bit like it _could_ be fuel starvation. Also get the fuel filter checked.

The dicky fuel gauge could be a problem in the fuel level sensor in the tank. Might be worth getting that replaced.

Either or both of the problems could be caused by some other fault in a sensor unit somewhere, so if you are near a friendly dealer, get them to hook your engine up to their computer to see if shows any faults. With luck they should do this for free, but I know what VW dealer's are like, so you might need to be "persuasive" wink.gif Alternatively, if you're in the UK, there are a few people on this board with VAG-COM units which are essentially the same computer software VW dealerships use, but running in a laptop. Make a post in General Cars or Audi Technical forums if you would like to try to fins someone with this software.

Trev

Hey thanks. I'm actually in the U.S. so that wont work but I bought it from A dealer who is a friend of mine. Here we are a year after the warranty but he is still offering to pay. He already asked a couple of his mechanics and they accused me of being on drugs! sekret.gif Well I guess its time to take up his free offer.

Does the problem to start always occur when engine is hot. If so this is symptomatic of water temp sensor failure.