[Audi A3/S3] S3 MAF Sensor problem??

Brentg

Hi there, I've been having intermitant problems with lack of horsepower from 4000RPM+ for a few months. The car was like this when I bought it 6months ago, so I didn't really know anything was wrong for a while. Then things went really weird, in that there was very little power until 5000RPM and then all hell broke loose. I half expected the engine to destroy itself at any moment frown.gif

So.. after reading a few posts, I disconnected the MAF sensor and I had the low down grunt back (despite losing the high end) and all seemed OK. I've just replaced the sensor with what appears to be the same Bosch Part # 280 218 034, and all is NOT good. The car hardly idles and coughs and splutters under load violently... The only thing I have noticed is that the new part has a resistor soldered to two contacts on the outside of the sensor, while my old one didn't. Any idea's on whether I should remove this??

BTW the engine has been chipped to 255HP by MTM.

I had the same problem - I removed the MAF and cleaned it with carb cleaner. Seemed to cure the problem.

I don't know about removing the resistor - it'll be there for a reason, and you may damage the unit.

If you still have the old MAF, go down to a car accessory shop, and buy some carb cleaner and give it a good dousing.

Don't recall seeing one - but then I wasn't really looking for it.

It could be you've got a faulty replacement - stranger things happen.

How long did you leave the old MAF disconnected for? I tried that trick myself, just to prove that it was the MAF. I ran the car for about 20 miles and all was fine, and then it wasn't happy at all. Seemsed to return to normal when I reconnected the MAF though.....could be that the ECU needs to be cleared of fault codes?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...